What characters in ASOIAF have historical parallels or throwbacks?

Darkbringer

Cersei - Lucrezia Borgia (well the 'fictional' version of her, not much is known of her factually)

Oohh I like that, never heard of her before. Cersei also reminds me of a totally fictional character , the Witch Queen from Snow White. Pathologically jealous of those younger and fairer.

Yeah, Cersei is probably more like the fake version/rumored version of Lucrezia. It was said that her reputation was smeared but she likely wasn't that bad.

Cesare on the other hand gets whitewashed a bit in popular culture to me.

The incest allegations may have been another smear campaign by Borgias enemies.

Both Rhaenyra and Asha compare to Empress Maud. The father raised them and wanted them to be their heir but after the father's death the male relatives took over.

While I doubt Nymeria's inspiration was Manduhai they both can be compared.

They both were known as warrior queens although the latter was one more literally. They both were unifiers, saviors of their people as opposed to the male rulers, they made strategic marriages, and kept their people out of war with enemies (China, Valyrians).

The FM are a mix between the original assassins hashashins in Persia and Syria and the Council of Ten in Venice. But they work outside the government rather than work for them like the Venetian assassins. The ones from the crusade era did have a religious association and were sometimes seen as a cult so they compare more to them there although even so they don't have a comparable jihad ideology I don't think. Of course we still don't know everything about them.

It depends on what they do with female recruits but it can potentially relate to the kunoichi except they are assassins not ninjas:

The FM resemble ninjas in another important way. The ninjas learned their arts secretly, for to bear arms was death, unless you came from the samurai class. They grew out of class based repression, as did the FM on Valyria. Both societies necessarily used clandestine means. In their origins, ninjas weren't just hired spies /assassins. That came later, after Edo province had been conquered.

I see alot of paralels between the caimpaigns of Edward, the Black Prince in France and Lorch/Clegane foraging of the Riverlands. Robb's take in tactics is similar to Napolleon Bonaparte. Tywin's first term as Hand is very Sebastiao Melo, Marquis of Pombal. Stannis has a few of Arthur Wesllesley, Duke of Wellington traits. Drogo and Attila is a given.

I see alot of paralels between the caimpaigns of Edward, the Black Prince in France and Lorch/Clegane foraging of the Riverlands. Robb's take in tactics is similar to Napolleon Bonaparte. Tywin's first term as Hand is very Sebastiao Melo, Marquis of Pombal. Stannis has a few of Arthur Wesllesley, Duke of Wellington traits. Drogo and Attila is a given.

Wow yes Stannis as Wellington, spot on. Rock hard discipline, sound tactics and knows no fear. And as unfeeling as a rock :). Also, I think King Bob has a dash of King Richard the Lionheart. Loved by his soldiers, brave, indomitable, best when he's at war, respected even by foes, and a totally useless peacetime king.

I would say that Stannis is quite like Henry V of England. Not Shakespeare's king, but the real one, the one who ordered whores to have their arms broken if they were caught in camp twice on the Agincourt campaign. A hard man, unbreakable but a magnificent leader.

Barristan Selmy is quite like a knight called William Marshal, who served Henry II, Richard I, John and Henry III. He was a legendary fighter and tourney champion and has been called the epitome of a true knight. He fought for Henry I during Richard's rebellion, even lancing the latter's horse, but was pardoned for being an honourable man. Sounds familiar no?

For me, Oberyn Martell is Cesare Borgia; Arianne is Lucrezia; Tyene Sand is Sancia of Aragon.

Cersei is Edward II's Queen, Isabella.

Tyrion is Shakespeare's Richard III.

Stannis is the Duke of Wellington.

Robert is Shakespeare's Edward IV.

Tywin is Philip the Fair.

Aegon is Perkin Warbeck.

Drogo is an Attila who got cut off before he achieved greatness.

I have come to the conclusion that Tyrion most parallels Horus the Avenger(not a historical figure, I know) Both aretrying to sieze what is rightfully theirs, both have heterochromia:Tyrion is black an green, Horus is silver and gold. Both are avengers. Tyrion avenged Castermere, Robb stark, and so much more. Horus avenged his father The only difference, is, Horus hates his uncle, and Tyrion is friendly with all of them. Horus fights for his fathers justice, Tyrion fights against his fathers "justice" (and kills him)

Marg as Anne Boleyn.

Actually, I get more of a Katherine of Aragon vibe: married to the older brother who suddenly dies, leaving her still a maid, then married off to the younger brother to keep the alliance alive.

Unless you're just thinking of the show...in which case, yeah.

Obviously there won't be many carbon copies to historical figures,but I think there are a few parallels (pseudo historical and mythological figures ok too):

Ned Stark: Odysseus, King Arthur

Robert Baratheon: Agamemnon

Varys: Cardinal Richelieu, Machiavelli

Aegon the Conqueror: William the Conqueror (duh)

Tyrion: King Lear, maybe? And some Sancho Pansa

Dany: Will either be Elizabeth 1st of England or Elizabeth Bathory, yet to be determined.

The Boltons: Vlad the Impaler

Jon Snow: Really reminds me of King Richards bastard in the play ' King John' by Shakespeare.

Aerys the Mad King: Maybe Ivan the Terrible? Nero? Caligula?

Rhaegar: Obviously Paris of Troy, but more than that. Thoughts?

Lyanna Stark: Helen of Troy with a bit of Boudicia

Brienne: Joan of Arc and Sir Galahad.

Jamie Lannister: Sir Lancelot

There must be plenty of others, keen to hear everybody's ideas...

Love the comparison of Dany to Elizabeth Bathory.

As for my own 2 cents...

Littlefinger bears strong similarities with Thomas Seymour.

Tyrion Lannister = Richard III, although Martin has expressed a wish to turn him into Walter White.

Dondarrion/BwB = Owain Glyndwr's rebellion; he was never captured, seemingly disappeared.

Sansa Stark = Elizabeth I or Jane Grey, too early to tell...

King Tommen = Edward VI

The Tyrells = The Boleyns

Catelyn Tully = Catherine of Aragon

Tywin Lannister = Edward I

Obviously there won't be many carbon copies to historical figures,but I think there are a few parallels (pseudo historical and mythological figures ok too):

Ned Stark: Odysseus, King Arthur

Robert Baratheon: Agamemnon

Varys: Cardinal Richelieu, Machiavelli

Aegon the Conqueror: William the Conqueror (duh)

Tyrion: King Lear, maybe? And some Sancho Pansa

Dany: Will either be Elizabeth 1st of England or Elizabeth Bathory, yet to be determined.

The Boltons: Vlad the Impaler

Jon Snow: Really reminds me of King Richards bastard in the play ' King John' by Shakespeare.

Aerys the Mad King: Maybe Ivan the Terrible? Nero? Caligula?

Rhaegar: Obviously Paris of Troy, but more than that. Thoughts?

Lyanna Stark: Helen of Troy with a bit of Boudicia

Brienne: Joan of Arc and Sir Galahad.

Jamie Lannister: Sir Lancelot

There must be plenty of others, keen to hear everybody's ideas...

That's an interesting list, although I don't agree with all the comparisons.

Ned Stark does remind of Odysseus, to a certain extent but then again Odysseus was a man known for his cunning while Ned hasn't resorted to tricks in order to survive.

I can't see any similarities between Robert Baratheon and Agamemnon. On the other hand, Agamemnon shares common traits with Tywin and every time I read about Robert I was reminded of Ajax.

Why is Tyrion similar to King Lear? Or Sancho?

Shiera Seastar and Danelel Lothston have more similarities to Elizabeth Bathory than Dany.

Vlad the Impaler actually fought the Ottomans and protected his people.

I can't find any similarities between Paris and Rhaegar. Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, Paris fled with Helen. But Paris was a guest at Helen's house and she was already married to another man. When Rhaegar took Lyanna she was betrothed but not married to Robert. There are similarities between the situation but not betwwen the characters. Rhaegar fought Robert. Paris tried to fight Menelaus but he was so afraid that he ran away.

I agree about the comparison between Brienne and Jeanne D'Arc.

What are the parallels between Boudica and Lyanna? Boudica was queen and she gave birth to daughters. Once her husband died, he wanted the girls to be his heirs. The Romans disputed his will, flogged Boudica and raped her daughters. As a result Boudica led her people to a revolt agains the Romans. I can't see any parallels between Lyanna Stark.

Sextus Tarquinius raping Lucretia and leading to the downfall of his family has more parallels to Rhaegar and Lyanna.

I can't see any similarities between Robert Baratheon and Agamemnon. On the other hand, Agamemnon shares common traits with Tywin and every time I read about Robert I was reminded of Ajax.

Shiera Seastar and Danelel Lothston have more similarities to Elizabeth Bathory than Dany.

I agree regarding Shiera/Danelle having similarities with Elizabeth Bathory.

As for Agamemnon, I think that some of Stannis future story will be inspired by him... I am still working on those ideas, but I see resemblance in iron will of conquering Troy.

Archived