Emotional moments that failed to touch you

Arya kiddin'

Last of the Giants is the song that the wildlings sing with Jon Snow. It is immediately before he is attacked by Orell's eagle. I honestly didn't know it was supposed to be emotional.

Oh yeah thanks, since I blocked that from my mind I guess I don't care either about The Last Giants

There are moments that didn't grab me and it's not just disliking a character because Theon was written so well that I could feel for him yet simultaneously wish for his death.

The RW except for Greywind dying. I'm pretty sure I laughed maniacally.

Sansa snow castle and the San/San moments.

Whenever Jamie is feeling sorry for himself.

The Walk of Shame. I felt more for Lena and wondered if there would be a body double than what Cersei was going through.

Ygritte dying.

Ned being killed. I was done with him by the time it happened.

Joffrey dying. In the sense that I didn't feel bad for him when he was wanting his mother and her watching him die and also because I waited for his death so long that when it came it was lackluster/a disappointment for me in how it happened.

Dany losing her sun and stars. Good riddance.

Sandor crying and making his confession. Annoying/whiny grown ass man.

Arianne's trouble. I can't connect with her as a character. She comes off flat to me and boring.

Brienne if she has one.

If there's any more I can't remember at this exact moment.

Arya_Nym, you have such a long list, I can't wonder and think if anything in the books moved you at all. Just curious. :lol:

Certainly. The most emotional, conflicting moments come from Catelyn or Brienne POVs only.

Add Theon, and you have an emotional triple whammy!

In sheer numbers though, Brienne was the one who affected me the most though.

Add Theon, and you have an emotional triple whammy!

In sheer numbers though, Brienne was the one who affected me the most though.

Theon is a beautifully written character, no doubt. For some reason though, I could never connect to him emotionally. I could show him pity, but never sympathy. (Not never never but you get the point). It's not like I want him to suffer more, but I don't find myself rooting for him either.

Theon is a beautifully written character, no doubt. For some reason though, I could never connect to him emotionally. I could show him pity, but never sympathy. (Not never never but you get the point). It's not like I want him to suffer more, but I don't find myself rooting for him either.

Heh... I guess it's simply my feelings of inadequacy and my desire to be accepted that causes so much sympathy with Theon then. I understand why certain people can't connect with him.

As for the moment that affects me the most: Elder Brother's discussion with Brienne.

I mean, Jesus muffin Christ, the whole thing about the broken shield? I get teary-eyed every single time.

Heh... I guess it's simply my feelings of inadequacy and my desire to be accepted that causes so much sympathy with Theon then. I understand why certain people can't connect with him.

As for the moment that affects me the most: Elder Brother's discussion with Brienne.

I mean, Jesus muffin Christ, the whole thing about the broken shield? I get teary-eyed every single time.

Yes. The Elder Brother. Brienne is like the most misunderstood character, you know. Everyone thinks her quest is futile, and don't spare the character much thought. Her POV is actually an introspective one. Every time she's facing the same conflict - what she wants to do vs what she swore to do vs what she's expected to do. Reading about her dealing with all this is much more interesting than reading about her adventure with Nimble Dick.

Yes. The Elder Brother. Brienne is like the most misunderstood character, you know. Everyone thinks her quest is futile, and don't spare the character much thought. Her POV is actually an introspective one. Every time she's facing the same conflict - what she wants to do vs what she swore to do vs what she's expected to do. Reading about her dealing with all this is much more interesting than reading about her adventure with Nimble Dick.

On every reread, I feel like her chapters get better. Right now, she's third in chapter quality in my opinion, behind Theon and Catelyn.

And while I agree that her inner conflict is just great, I think the side characters she encounters are some of the strongest in the series, all representing the different effects war has on the people, and how it affects their faith in each other and in a greater power, which is a huge theme in A Feast for Crows.

Maaaaan... I really want to reread AFFC now, and I'm only on ACOK.

On every reread, I feel like her chapters get better. Right now, she's third in chapter quality in my opinion, behind Theon and Catelyn.

And while I agree that her inner conflict is just great, I think the side characters she encounters are some of the strongest in the series, all representing the different effects war has on the people, and how it affects their faith in each other and in a greater power, which is a huge theme in A Feast for Crows.

Maaaaan... I really want to reread AFFC now, and I'm only on ACOK.

Hmm. It's been I think three months since I did a re-read. I should start one now.

Top touching moments (in no particular order) (on re-reads, after having been spoiled for pretty much everything!)

1. Theon thinking about Robb: Where was I? I should have died with him.

2. "Egg, I dreamed that I was old."

3. Just re-read AGOT and I found myself still hating Joffrey so much for killing Ned. I can't let it go even after his horrible death.

4. Jon Connington reminiscing about Rhaegar: Your father's lands are beautiful.

5. Robb explaining to Edmure why he ruined Robb's plan and caused Stannis to lose.

6) Arya's post-RW chapter when she thinks about the 'hole where her heart used to be'. And she thinks her mother may still be alive. And the Hound: "I don't give a fuck about your brother. I have a brother too."

7) ACOK prologue.

8) The end of ACOK: "The stone is strong, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. It was not dead, just broken. Like me. I'm not dead either."

9)" Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon. Needle was Jon Snow's smile"

10) Sansa's snow castle.

I never cared for Maester Aemon dying. I liked him but just didn't think that chapter or him saying, "Egg, I dreamed that I was old" was an especially emotional scene.

I sort of agree about that. "Egg, I dreamed that I was old" It was damn heartbreaking, but I didn't burst into tears.

No no, that came during Sam's speech after he died.

Also, I didn't realize Last of the Giants was suppose to be emotional. It was just....ya know....a song to me. Wish they had it in the show, but nothing I grumble over.

"not my hair, Ned loves my hair" - this often seems to be on the lists of the most touching moments in the series, did absolutely nothing for me.

:agree:

I didn't care about emotional moments that involved Cat or LS.

I also didn't care about any emotional moments involving Arya after the RW.

Most people also include the following quote in the lists of most touching moments, but I wasn't really moved.

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to muss my hair and call me 'little sister' , she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.

For some reason the main tragic events didn't hit me that hard.

I'll tell you what did get to me were the depictions of the war ravaged smallfolk.

Where we were given glimpses, made me feel sick and sad. All the people rounded up with Arya, the survivors who ended up at harrenhall. What's the young woman at Harrenhall who was brutally raped beyond humanity? Images of villages destroyed, peasants raped and robbed, fields razed, simple people killed for the hell of it. The girl in the tavern who was raped by the Bloody Mummers (?), then flipped her dad a coin. The devastation at the Saltpans.

For some reason I felt sick to my stomach reading these accounts, but was glad for their inclusion in the story. War is shit for the innocent people who are stuck in the middle of it.

I also was disgusted by the description of Ramsey's hunting down women. I hope his fate is cruel and terrifying.

Archived