Emotional moments that failed to touch you

Arya kiddin'

I was expecting Ygritte's death. Couldn't have Jon walking around thinking about her althrough the remaining books. Her plot job was mainly to get him emotionally connected to wildlings and learn the fine art of luvmaking.

Job done = arrow in chest.

-Keven he was a Lannister who stood by the side of a monster who brought nothing but death and destruction and I'm suppose to care that you have a wife and children, well you didn't care when you gladly burned the Riverlands

What you say of Kevan can equally be said of Robb, or the Greatjon, or just about any Lord involved in war with a few exceptions. (Like Connington, who refuses to set fire to Stoney Sept during the Battle of the Bells) "Foraging" and raids are something that all armies do.

As for Kevan, he was tired of it all, which is why he simply wanted to retire, be with his wife and son, and plan Lancel's wedding.

The Last of the Giants song, I still fail to see why it made Ygritte emotional in-book. To me it was just a meh, song. Over. Whats your point?

Tywin's death, wasn't upsetting, nor was I surprised, nor was I particularly happy about it. It was a good point in the novels however.

Ygritte's death, I had no investment or attachment to the character whatsoever.

The "hanging" of Podrick, Brienne and Ser Hyle. Although personally I think that was because I had been told what happened already.

I also never seem to feel sorry for Tyrion, nor can I feel happy when things go his way.

As for Kevan, he was tired of it all, which is why he simply wanted to retire, be with his wife and son, and plan Lancel's wedding.

He was happy to keep Cersei's bastard on the throne knowing that it didn't belong to them and knowing that Stannis was the rightful King and Cersej and Jaime bought war, death, destruction, and countless atrocities to Westeros yet he still in the name of his monstrous family decided that they should keep the throne.

And Keven backed Tywin in every violent, inhumane thing that he did calling him a just man. Keven Lannisted was a "yes man" who followed the orders of a monster without question and justified his acts. I'm suppose to care and feel for a man who had it all and did not care for the suffering he bought to others when there are more deserving people of sympathy like the small folk and others who lost it all to the Lannisters.

He was happy to keep Cersei's bastard on the throne knowing that it didn't belong to them and knowing that Stannis was the rightful King and Cersej and Jaime bought war, death, destruction, and countless atrocities to Westeros yet he still in the name of his monstrous family decided that they should keep the throne.

And Keven backed Tywin in every violent, inhumane thing that he did calling him a just man. Keven Lannisted was a "yes man" who followed the orders of a monster without question and justified his acts. I'm suppose to care and feel for a man who had it all and did not care for the suffering he bought to others when there are more deserving people of sympathy like the small folk and others who lost it all to the Lannisters.

Keeping the bastard on the Throne was his duty to his family.

And yes, he was a "yes man", but the atrocities he allowed aren't any different than the ones committed by pretty much everyone, Northmen included.

Keeping the bastard on the Throne was his duty to his family.

And yes, he was a "yes man", but the atrocities he allowed aren't any different than the ones committed by pretty much everyone, Northmen included.

No matter if he did it out of duty to his family, he knowingly stole, murdered and committed other acts for his family knowing what they did was wrong, even if it was for family that does not excuse what he helped to do.

No matter if he did it out of duty to his family, he knowingly stole, murdered and committed other acts for his family knowing what they did was wrong, even if it was for family that does not excuse what he helped to do.

They what do you say of Robb, who knowingly stole. murdered, and committed other crimes towards the smallfolk of the Westerlands?

Why is he a sympathetic character while Kevan is not?

The Last of the Giants song, I still fail to see why it made Ygritte emotional in-book. To me it was just a meh, song. Over. Whats your point?

Tywin's death, wasn't upsetting, nor was I surprised, nor was I particularly happy about it. It was a good point in the novels however.

Ygritte's death, I had no investment or attachment to the character whatsoever.

The "hanging" of Podrick, Brienne and Ser Hyle. Although personally I think that was because I had been told what happened already.

I also never seem to feel sorry for Tyrion, nor can I feel happy when things go his way.

Ygritte was awful imo.

Her entire character made me facepalm.

What you say of Kevan can equally be said of Robb, or the Greatjon, or just about any Lord involved in war with a few exceptions. (Like Connington, who refuses to set fire to Stoney Sept during the Battle of the Bells) "Foraging" and raids are something that all armies do.

Robb didn't personally oversee the command of individuals of the nature of Gregor Clegane, Vargo Holt, and Amory Lorch.

Drogo's Death

Joffrey's Death(in the sense it made me sad)

Kevan's Death

I felt nothing at all when Ned died. /snark.

Ok, for real:

1st read: Stannis' shadowbaby killing Renly was HORRIFIC! 2nd read: Stannis' shadowbaby killing Renly was AWESOME! Should have used in on Tywin, though.

Joffrey dying I thought was a bit of a letdown. I wanted him deader than that.

I laughed my ass off when LF threw Lysa out the Moon Door.

Ygritte's dying, 'you know nothing, Jon Snow,' also made me chuckle.

Tyrion shooting Tywin just caused me to get 'Hey Joe' stuck in my head.

Tyrion strangling Shae right before that caused no emotional reaction whatsoever.

Brienne meeting Lady Stoneheart was kinda meh.

Jaime meeting up with Brienne again was also meh.

Jon dying. Three reasons.

1. He's not really dead and I knew that from the moment I read it.

2. I've never been particularly invested in him as a character.

3. I was far more interested in all the real Starks and their deaths. Jon's meant nothing to me.

Brienne getting hanged. Or rather, almost getting hanged. I felt like she was wasted in AFFC with a pointless quest she could never accomplish and it greatly diminished how I felt about her character through it's course.

Joffrey's death was missing any real catharsis for me. I guess that's GRRM trying to subvert reader expectations but it still left me cold.

And weirdly, a moment which succeeded in making me emotional when I wasn't expecting it was Kevan Lannister's death. Just the briefest insight into his life made me grudgingly admire him, wish we'd had him as a POV instead of half a dozen other characters we got (*cough* Aeron, Victarion, Areo, and even Jon and Jaime *cough*) and feel upset when he was cut down by a decidedly unsympathetic Varys. You will be missed sole Lannister I don't hate.

Any moment any Lannister is feeling sorry for themselves for a situation they put themselves in... Jaime in the bath with Brianne, Cersei and her crazy- face-ness, Tyrion's obsession with the wife he betrayed/ feeling sorry for himself because his dad was mean (hey jerk, you've still got a pretty damn good life, how about not whining so much?)!

Although I did feel really bad for Cersei as she watched Joff die. He deserved it, but he died a horribly painful death and his mother had to stand there and watch, unable to help.

What is this "Last of Giants" some are referring to?

I think in ADWD when Leaf was telling Bran how everything will disappear like the direwolves and COTF basically everything that was there before men came and stole it all and took over

Last of the Giants is the song that the wildlings sing with Jon Snow. It is immediately before he is attacked by Orell's eagle. I honestly didn't know it was supposed to be emotional.

Archived