Darkstar the Unappreciated

Septon_Meribald

This is amazing. No one hates him for attempting to kill a little girl, but all hate him for failing... WOW...

You know, when you put it like that it's making me think. One of the main reasons I hate Jaime is failed attempt on Bran, so why do I like Darkstar? My love isn't solidified, but I do think he has the potential to be a bad ass... but should I like him for that? You've really got my alcohol impaired brain thinking tonight...

You know, when you put it like that it's making me think. One of the main reasons I hate Jaime is failed attempt on Bran, so why do I like Darkstar? My love isn't solidified, but I do think he has the potential to be a bad ass... but should I like him for that? You've really got my alcohol impaired brain thinking tonight...

I mean, talking about messed up priorities... Everyone seems so angry that he actually didn't kill Myrcella, that he failed, but somehow no one is troubled with the fact he attempted to kill a child. It is so funny... And, btw, if you hate Jaime for Bran, then I think you know what you should feel for Darkstar ;)

This is amazing. No one hates him for attempting to kill a little girl, but all hate him for failing... WOW...

I think his failure is made of fun too much. Like maybe Myrcella was just good at avoiding him and its not an indicator of any skill or lackthereof on his part. I do consider him a jerk though for trying to kill her.

I never understood why people didn't like his "I am of the night" line. He was trying to be funny to Myrcella.

:lmao: You are my new best friend.

I love Darkstar. Hes a cheesy ham in a world where everyone takes themselves so seriously. Hes also a handsome jerk. He entertains me.

I mean, talking about messed up priorities... Everyone seems so angry that he actually didn't kill Myrcella, that he failed, but somehow no one is troubled with the fact he attempted to kill a child. It is so funny... And, btw, if you hate Jaime for Bran, then I think you know what you should feel for Darkstar ;)

Yes, I am reassessing my thoughts on Darkstar. I think if I knew he actually did kill Myrcella I would hate him. As it stands I don't approve of him hurting her, but I still like him in spite of it. I get a kick out of Cersei being so bat shit crazy, but I still enjoy her, so I think he may fall into that assessment, someone I find repugnant as a person, but amuses me as a character. Jaime doesn't amuse me though, so for now he's a lost cause to me.

I've had a lot of wine tonight and fear I am making no sense. Please forgive me, maybe sober me can make more sense tomorrow :)

I think he was the only person in Arianne's party who is NOT working for Doran. All the people there except him were punished seemingly but in fact, Doran sent them with secret missions. Darkstar understood Doran's ploy and tried to screw it by killing Myrcella.

I was surprised that he became a subject of mockery on the forums. Maybe because english is not my native language, I did not pick up on the "ridiculous sound" of his statement that so many people found it did. I didn't think he was trying to show off or anything, he just didn't want to be put in the same basket as Arthur Dayne I guess...

I certainly expect more of his character, I believe he might play a significant role in the future^^

What he said sounded like something some goth stereotype would say, as if he took himself far too seriously. He seems a very sarcastic guy, so I took the statement as something of a joke, maybe highlighting / lamenting the fact that as a Dayne he's always compared to his uncle, and maybe that he is always in a foul mood

As for why he's the most dangerous man in Dorne, maybe he's not a great fighter, but bad-tempered, bloodthirsty, and unpredictable. Look at Lyn Corbray - "gold, boys, and killing" - and you see another of these type of men, untrustworthy and always spoiling for a fight. (This is why I have a crackpot theory that Darkstar works for Littlefinger, because his attack on Myrcella causes chaos and makes no political sense, and that is Littlefinger's style.)

Yes, I am reassessing my thoughts on Darkstar. I think if I knew he actually did kill Myrcella I would hate him. As it stands I don't approve of him hurting her, but I still like him in spite of it. I get a kick out of Cersei being so bat shit crazy, but I still enjoy her, so I think he may fall into that assessment, someone I find repugnant as a person, but amuses me as a character. Jaime doesn't amuse me though, so for now he's a lost cause to me.

I've had a lot of wine tonight and fear I am making no sense. Please forgive me, maybe sober me can make more sense tomorrow :)

Sorry, but no matter how "cool" he is, you simply can't love him. I mean, we are all despising Jaime for what he did to Bran, and now we find this acceptable? And, everyone on the forum seems more preoccupied with the fact he didn't kill her, than the fact he attempted to kill her. So, either Jaime also gets carte blanche for what he did to Bran, or we simply put Darkstar in the same group with him. Because, no matter how much Arianne Martell lusted for him, he attempted to kill a child.

There is always some kind of fantastical aura about the daynes, sotm and ashara, I think Darkstar is their representative in the present. He is going to be an important character and I do not think he is incompetent. He is aligned with someone secretly and was playing Martell girl. And I am of the night is not all that corny, Batman says it all the time.

I read somewhere that GRRM, unsurprisingly, was a big Grateful Dead fan. So am I. Darkstar is one of the Grateful Dead's fan favorites. I don't think he'd introduce this character, with so much mystique around him, to just be brained by Balon Swann or impaled by Obara Sand. Then again, GRRM never does the obvious. Still though, for those of you who don't know the dead, here are the lyrics to Darkstar. Make of them what you will:

Dark star crashes, pouring it's light into ashes.

Reason tatters, the forces tear loose from the axis.

Searchlight casting for faults in the clouds of delusion.

Shall we go, you and I while we can

Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Mirror shatters in formless reflections of matter.

Glass hand dissolving to ice petal flowers revolving.

Lady in velvet recedes in the nights of good-bye.

Shall we go, you and I while we can

Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

This is a very good point. In every discussion I've ever had about Jaime and how good GRRM has been at making me feel sympathetic to that character I've always come back to the fact that he pushed a child out of a high window with the intent to kill. I'm not sure why I never judged Darkstar as harshly as I did Jaime. Maybe it is because Gerold Dayne attempted to murder a child thousands of pages into a tale filled with death, murder and treachery while Jaime's attempt was one of the early violent acts that shocked me as I started to read these books.

There is always some kind of fantastical aura about the daynes, sotm and ashara, I think Darkstar is their representative in the present. He is going to be an important character and I do not think he is incompetent. He is aligned with someone secretly and was playing Martell girl. And I am of the night is not all that corny, Batman says it all the time.

Yeah, but Batman is corny.

Sorry, but no matter how "cool" he is, you simply can't love him. I mean, we are all despising Jaime for what he did to Bran, and now we find this acceptable? And, everyone on the forum seems more preoccupied with the fact he didn't kill her, than the fact he attempted to kill her. So, either Jaime also gets carte blanche for what he did to Bran, or we simply put Darkstar in the same group with him. Because, no matter how much Arianne Martell lusted for him, he attempted to kill a child.

Ok, sober me checking in. Your point is very valid and has caused me to rethink my stance on Darkstar. He's a horrible person, child killers are terrible people. He still has the ability to be a bad ass fighter though. I still like him as a "bad" character, just as I love Cersei, but I now agree he's a horrible human being.

Archived