What's For Dinner 3: Cook Hard With A Vengeance

Inigima

I didn't get a chance to cook last night...but here it is tonight!

http://i.imgur.com/1rpMekl.png

I was going to save the leaves as suggested, but knew I probably wouldn't bake them. They were added and tossed with the roasting sprouts after 10 minutes. They added a nice toasted nuttiness to the finished product. I also grabbed a bag of lentils with a garlic and herb seasoning included. They were a wonderful accompaniment.

Easily the best meal I have made for myself in the past year.

And yes...I tried a couple of the brussel sprouts raw...they are somewhere between broccoli and a radish. Amazing how delightful they were when not boiled into slimeballs or boiled into slimeballs with chitlins. Yea! I have a new veggie to :love: ! Thanks Sis!

That looks awesome, but what's that spiral shaped bready looking thing at 11 oclock? How do I make one? looks like spinach or basil and cheese on some kind of tasty roll?

I didn't get a chance to cook last night...but here it is tonight!

http://i.imgur.com/1rpMekl.png

I was going to save the leaves as suggested, but knew I probably wouldn't bake them. They were added and tossed with the roasting sprouts after 10 minutes. They added a nice toasted nuttiness to the finished product. I also grabbed a bag of lentils with a garlic and herb seasoning included. They were a wonderful accompaniment.

Easily the best meal I have made for myself in the past year.

And yes...I tried a couple of the brussel sprouts raw...they are somewhere between broccoli and a radish. Amazing how delightful they were when not boiled into slimeballs or boiled into slimeballs with chitlins. Yea! I have a new veggie to :love: ! Thanks Sis!

MMMM that looks great! Glad it worked for you! I do the same thing with the leaves now, just add them in after about 12 minutes. I tried it by themselves but they don't turn out right for me.

In keeping with the cabbage theme I made Spicy Korean Style Pork Medallions with Asian Slaw. Yummo!!

That looks awesome, but what's that spiral shaped bready looking thing at 11 oclock? How do I make one? looks like spinach or basil and cheese on some kind of tasty roll?

I think it was a pork loin not bread.

it does look yummy. I have done something similar with chicken breast and spinach & pepper jack cheese in the middle and the family loved it.

I'm having an aunt and uncle over.

Canapés, prawn tail poached in butter, with a squeeze of lemon and brown bread.

Starting with salad. New season oranges, Serrano ham, mozzarella cheese, balsamic dressing and various leaves.

Main, monkfish a l'amoricaine, using the prawn shells from earlier, rice and roast cauliflower.

Desert, lemon tart.

It is Taco Night!

Taco Salad for me, but I still love it! (only miss the tortilla's a little bit)

It was Mexican night over here at the ToL residence too. We had carne asada Tampiquena. I marinated two ribeyes in a little olive oil, crushed garlic, and lots of crumbled oregano. Then I roasted a couple of big Anaheim chilis. I made cheese enchiladas to go with it (hence, the Tampiquena part.)

With guacamole, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce on the side, with some warmed tortillas, we were good to go!

Mr. ToL loved it. :love:

By the way, can anyone that watches that brief video tell me what oil he references? Is it this grana oil that I see on the google? Never heard of that.

I've never heard of grana oil either. I guess any neutral oil would work. I generally use canola or peanut oil if I'm cooking something at high temperature, like the steak tonight.

I didn't baste my steaks tonight with butter. :(

ETA: He's definitely saying "grana oil."

Cast iron. I get it pretty hot to sear the steak on both sides, then turn it down a bit to finish it.

ETA: For the record, I like mine "bloody as hell," but my husband likes it not to moo.

Cool... For medium, try covering the pan, a metal lid to a stock pot is what I use, get a bit of that oven effect. Let it sit covered once you take it off the heat, to let the heat penetrate a little more.

If there's a better meal when you're hung over than a good egg fried rice, I've yet to come across it.

Duck fat sweet potatoes? I'm not really visualising it. Could you give a bit more info re taste / texture /cooking? Sorry but I'm rather intrigued.

Archived