What's For Dinner 3: Cook Hard With A Vengeance

Inigima

In an effort to use the cast iron skillet I got for Christmas for more than just brussels sprouts, I did some googling and have now fallen in love with pan-seared salmon fillet. Inspired by this guy: http://www.derekoncastiron.com/2009/02/recipe-pan-seared-salmon.html it sure as hell beats the salmon al la George Foreman that I was previously making. :)

How odd. I bought parsley and mint today to try a tabbouleh tomorrow. Never made it before and I'm looking forward to it.

Tonight, sweet potato and butternut squash curry, on a bed of cauliflower.

Feeling lazy tonight, so: rice noodles, onions, garlic, coconut milk, red chili paste, cilantro, lime juice and liberal amounts of Angry Chef. My bald spot is sweating!

In an effort to use the cast iron skillet I got for Christmas for more than just brussels sprouts, I did some googling and have now fallen in love with pan-seared salmon fillet. Inspired by this guy: http://www.derekoncastiron.com/2009/02/recipe-pan-seared-salmon.html it sure as hell beats the salmon al la George Foreman that I was previously making. :)

Umm...gross.

Cool and rainy here today so trying to decide what I should make for supper. Probably some sort of a roast.

We made cornbread in a cast iron skillet the other day... Preheated the skillet so when you pour the batter in it all gets perfectly crisped outside and stays soft inside. I don't know if I can ever go back.

Boneless ribeye steaks on the grill, couple of bottles of Modelo, home-grown butter lettuce salad, fresh corn on the cob, and I killed myself making three pies today - two apple (one for my dad) and a strawberry-rhubarb. I'd never made the strawberry-rhubarb before, but had tasted it once and really liked it, so this is totally an experiment.

Boneless ribeye steaks on the grill, couple of bottles of Modelo, home-grown butter lettuce salad, fresh corn on the cob, and I killed myself making three pies today - two apple (one for my dad) and a strawberry-rhubarb. I'd never made the strawberry-rhubarb before, but had tasted it once and really liked it, so this is totally an experiment.

Strawberry - rhubarb rocks, it is known!

I've been obsessed with french lentils lately. I'm going to try adding more flavor to them for cold salads. It's so beastly hot here I don't want anything warm to eat. They keep their shape and some good texture, behaving more like a tiny bean.

Cooked a batch in turkey stock with some red curry paste, toasted cardamom seeds and sauteed onion and green pepper. Skipped the celery for once. They actually came out so hot I had to cut them with lots and lots of rice. I also consumed a gallon of iced tea and a 3oz of cheese trying to cool my tongue. Lovely.

We made cornbread in a cast iron skillet the other day... Preheated the skillet so when you pour the batter in it all gets perfectly crisped outside and stays soft inside. I don't know if I can ever go back.

This is proper and makes lovely cornbread. I love cast iron cooking.

Mexican-style quinoa with red peppers and avocado

http://i.imgur.com/xzGJMSe.jpg

edit: Recipe courtesy Elder Sister

You MUST send me the recipe for this. I did something stupid with my redbeans recipe. It was written on the back of an envelope and its.....somewhere. BTW, do you have a pressure cooker? It cut my cooking time down from 2-days to 1.5 hours. Oh, and I used 15 cloves of garlic. Just because that is the proper amount (all of it).

Archived