Disdain for the targs?

E-Ro

So, as most of you already know, I dont like the targs. Like, any of them. I understand that there were a few of them that were alright(meaning not insane) and even a couple that were good rulers. I just dont like them, they irk me, and well I favor house baratheon alot.

Anyway, with that new short story from dangerous women we have a pretty good look at what house targ was like at the height of its power. And it just reinforces my views on them. A fucked up bunch of power hungry assholes. From fighting and killing vast amounts of people with dragonfire, to their blood of the dragon bullshit(not to mention raping smallfolk and going on about how dragon seed is a blessing, thats fucking disgusting.) They ruled westeros for 300 years and all they have to show for it is a road.

Anyway, anyone else feel the same way about them?

I never really get the Targaryen hatred of pure StanStans. King Maekar I is the precursor of Stannis in so many ways, not surprising since Maekar is Stannis direct ancestor (great-great grandfather IIRC).

Yes, I went there :p Outside of the Baratheon looks, Stannis is more Targaryen then Baratheon.

I never really get the Targaryen hatred of pure StanStans. King Maekar I is the precursor of Stannis in so many ways, not surprising since Maekar is Stannis direct ancestor (great-great grandfather IIRC).

haha, well it might be robert talking, but I really dislike them. What aerys did, was just fucked up on so many different levels, and rhaegar the one who was supposed to be smart and good didnt help out at all either. He just acted like a jackass.

Yes, I went there :P Outside of the Baratheon looks, Stannis is more Targaryen then Baratheon.

I get your point here, but honestly, apart from using fire as the preferred execution method I dont think Stannis has much in common with the targs. I do agree that he is the least baratheon of the three current generation baratheons. But I have theorized before that Stannis is actually more of an estermont then a baratheon. I think he was a mommas boy, tbh, and the death of mom hurt him badly. There is also the fact that he was very close to the estermonts, who sided with him even when renly was alive. Stannis cousin was with him at dragonstone and storms end. So really, I dont think Stannis is really like a targ, I think hes more like an estermont.

So, as most of you already know, I dont like the targs. Like, any of them. I understand that there were a few of them that were alright(meaning not insane) and even a couple that were good rulers. I just dont like them, they irk me, and well I favor house baratheon alot.

Anyway, with that new short story from dangerous women we have a pretty good look at what house targ was like at the height of its power. And it just reinforces my views on them. A fucked up bunch of power hungry assholes. From fighting and killing vast amounts of people with dragonfire, to their blood of the dragon bullshit(not to mention raping smallfolk and going on about how dragon seed is a blessing, thats fucking disgusting.) They ruled westeros for 300 years and all they have to show for it is a road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oZ4Bug_zA

The Laughing Storm is by far my favorite person in this universe.

Yep, I generally don't have a positive view of the Targs and their band of Dragon riding punks

Not to mention that they weren't even the only family that rode dragons, nor even the most powerful. According to grrm before the doom they were a mid level noble house in valyria. Also, it seems you dont even need this "dragons blood" to tame a dragon. Soooo, yeah im not sure what they have to feel so special about other then fancy hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oZ4Bug_zA

The Laughing Storm is by far my favorite person in this universe.

:laugh: Love that video, it should really have WAY more views by now.

Yes, I went there :P Outside of the Baratheon looks, Stannis is more Targaryen then Baratheon.

Good catch with the Stannis- Maekar connection. Younger son who was given his own seat, and had something to do with the death of his brother. Maekar imprisoned BR, and Stannis wanted to go after Varys. Maekar held the line at the Battle of Redgrass Field just in time for Baelor to arrive, and Stannis held SE during the siege just in time for Ned to arrive to lift the siege.

Not to mention that they weren't even the only family that rode dragons, nor even the most powerful. According to grrm before the doom they were a mid level noble house in valyria. Also, it seems you dont even need this "dragons blood" to tame a dragon. Soooo, yeah im not sure what they have to feel so special about other then fancy hair.

Also, I don't like the Valyrians that much either. Valyrians with Dragons are kind of like Nazis with Panzer Divisions.

Baratheons are related to the Targaryens.

umm, I know but what does that have to do with anything? As far as we know the baratheons never spouted racial superiority bullshit, never raped people and then justified it with "dragon sperm is secialzzz hrurr durrr," Dont marry their sisters, insanity doesnt run in house baratheon, And the baratheons took westeros without dragons, thats way more awesome imo.

Any damn amily with that much power and dragons would be just as fucked up. I se this hate for the whole family a little unjustified.

Idk brah, I think with such power they could have done far greater things then they did. I also would challenge the idea that people with lots of power have to be assholes.

On an unrelated note, love the hawk avatar. But origins was WAY better then da2 unfortunately.

King Jaehaerys I Targaryen and his Queen Alysanne were awesome Targaryens who did much good with their power. They presided over 50 years of peace, supported/strengthened the Night's Watch, had a seemingly good relationship with the North, built the King's Road, etc. So, they're not all bad. It's the more recent Targaryens that messed everything up ;)

No, not much. Among 300 years of their rulership, there are bound to be some madmen (Aerys), some utter fools (Aerion) or some complete jerks (Aegon IV). But Targaryens are neither worse nor better than anyone else in that regard. I'll bet if you took any 300 years of history of any noble family, you find people with similar traits to e.g. Aerys or Maegor. Who's to say that Robert's or Ned's great-grandfather wasn't some kind of horrible vicious axe-crazy lunatic?

So really, I dont think Stannis is really like a targ, I think hes more like an estermont.

I thought GRRM gave us very little info of House Estarmont, certainly not enough to characterize Stannis as one. They just seemed like a house of secondary importance of which we know little to nothing about.

Idk brah, I think with such power they could have done far greater things then they did. I also would challenge the idea that people with lots of power have to be assholes.

On an unrelated note, love the hawk avatar. But origins was WAY better then da2 unfortunately.

Well yes, it does make sense. And actually couple that with the fact that they always have been a freakishly big family, with too much internal tug of war as well.

And Ser Arthur Dayne's Honor already told me that Origins was WAY better than DA2. And I reluctantly agree. :lol:

Yep, I think the judgement about their actions needs to based on some analytical framework, independent of the fact that they had dragons.

I am just not sympathetic to the argument of "Poor little Targs, they just had dragons and didn't know what to do."

I agree 100%. Even if you like a Targaryen, like I like Egg, you ll never know they day they ll start doing crazy twisted shit. Even a normal Targ can have a "bad day" and everything goes horrible wrong in armagedon proportions.

What I love about the P&Q is that it hints

that all the bloodofdragonz bullshit to be able to ride Dragons might we just a lie to keep their spawn in power

You should look a cuple of threads I did to bring fire (more of it lol) to your OP. They are about how Targaryens bringing peace and prosperity to westeros is just a mith or a lie....

God I hate the Dragonspawn!!!!

No, not much. Among 300 years of their rulership, there are bound to be some madmen (Aerys), some utter fools (Aerion) or some complete jerks (Aegon IV). But Targaryens are neither worse nor better than anyone else in that regard. I'll bet if you took any 300 years of history of any noble family, you find people with similar traits to e.g. Aerys or Maegor. Who's to say that Robert's or Ned's great-grandfather wasn't some kind of horrible vicious axe-crazy lunatic?

I thought GRRM gave us very little info of House Estarmont, certainly not enough to characterize Stannis as one. They just seemed like a house of secondary importance of which we know little to nothing about.

But of all the noble familes we dont hear of any madmen. And many of them have been around for longer then the targs, none of the other families preach about superior blood either. You wont ever hear an arryn say they are blood of the falcon.

We dont know much about them, which is why I said I have theorized about that. But really, it seems more likely he tends toward estermont traits then targ traits. Considering his mother was an estermont, not a targ.

Archived