Disdain for the targs?

E-Ro

Also how is threatening to kill your banners if they dont join you treachery? ITs treachery on the part of your banners because they are supposed to support you, not the other way around.

They're also sworn to the king. And I'm pretty sure that the King's authority comes before a lord's command. Joining the rebels is treachery.

I never really get the Targaryen hatred of pure StanStans. King Maekar I is the precursor of Stannis in so many ways, not surprising since Maekar is Stannis direct ancestor (great-great grandfather IIRC).

Yes, I went there :P Outside of the Baratheon looks, Stannis is more Targaryen then Baratheon.

Good catch with the Stannis- Maekar connection. Younger son who was given his own seat, and had something to do with the death of his brother. Maekar imprisoned BR, and Stannis wanted to go after Varys. Maekar held the line at the Battle of Redgrass Field just in time for Baelor to arrive, and Stannis held SE during the siege just in time for Ned to arrive to lift the siege.

There’s also the jaw thing:

Maekar chewed on that a time, mouth clenched beneath the silvery-pale beard that made his face seem so square. “It’s not bloody likely,” he said harshly. “The realm has as many hedge knights as hedges, and all of them have feet.” ~ THK

Maekar Targaryen, Prince of Summerhall, regarded Dunk of Flea Bottom for a long time, his jaw working silently beneath his silvery beard. Finally he turned and walked away, never speaking a word. Dunk heard him riding off with his men. When they were gone, there was no sound but the faint thrum of the dragonfly’s wings as it skimmed across the water. ~ THK

In all seriousness, I do think the Targs may have been a bit much with the inbreeding, the blood of the dragon, etc.....but all the Houses seem to go a bit apeshit on the animals sewn onto their clothing, as Illyrio pointed out to Tyrion when he offered to introduce him to a real lion. Most all the families do this, the animal indentification, although I guess it's fair to say.......The Piper MEN aren't claiming to be a sexy, naked, Pink Maiden.

To be fair to the Targs and their animal identification they do actually ride and bond with dragons, some of their stillborn children come out looking like dragons and I don't doubt some Targs use to be immune to fire like Dany. And I do think they do have dragon blood so they are at least part dragon.

And the Starks warg direwolves, they have lived in a wolf and a part of their soul is wolf so I think its safe to say that they have every right to identify with their sigil also the Blackwoods do to since they can warg ravens.

To be fair to the Targs and their animal identification they do actually ride and bond with dragons, some of their stillborn children come out looking like dragons and I don't doubt some Targs use to be immune to fire like Dany. And I do think they do have dragon blood so they are at least part dragon.

And the Starks warg direwolves, they have lived in a wolf and a part of their soul is wolf so I think its safe to say that they have every right to identify with their sigil also the Blackwoods do to since they can warg ravens.

I'm not going to even get into the fireproofing, LOL. As for the two strange births we know about, I'll take a shot at it. We do know that Dany was a victim and participant, if unwittingly, in black magic with her strange birth. Rhaenyra did allude to murder and possible magic being used to kill her child in her womb in P&Q, at least that's how I took that.

I did realize, though, after that post, at least with the Targs and the Starks there does seem to be reasons, old and new, for their choice of dragons and direwolves. It does make me wonder about any other magical animals and/or possible connections to the families. Still, while with the Targs had a half decent reason for it......all the families make a big deal out of their sigils.

Targs are basically a family from a really bad South American soap opera. Put them in a hospital environment of a middle sized city, call it "La pasión del fuego y sangre" (yeah, google translate) and you could make 500 episodes out of it. Most of them are over the top idiots that would fit the genre perfectly.

My favorite Targ is actually Daeron the Drunken, who doesn't give a shit about dragon's blood and all that glorified stuff. It was refreshing to see that and the reaction I had when I read about him was the same I had when I saw the drunk Elves in Desolation of Smaug.

Bloodraven is not a Targ so I'm excluding him and he is awesome.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely like Aemon but I can't deny all that talk about Dany being the chosen one didn't make me want to puke.

I get your point here, but honestly, apart from using fire as the preferred execution method I dont think Stannis has much in common with the targs. I do agree that he is the least baratheon of the three current generation baratheons. But I have theorized before that Stannis is actually more of an estermont then a baratheon. I think he was a mommas boy, tbh, and the death of mom hurt him badly. There is also the fact that he was very close to the estermonts, who sided with him even when renly was alive. Stannis cousin was with him at dragonstone and storms end. So really, I dont think Stannis is really like a targ, I think hes more like an estermont.

Have you read tHK? The way Maekar is presented in that story just screams STANNIS.

haha, well it might be robert talking, but I really dislike them. What aerys did, was just fucked up on so many different levels, and rhaegar the one who was supposed to be smart and good didnt help out at all either. He just acted like a jackass.

Dangerously Crazy Targs:

Maegor the Cruel

Aemond One-eye

Aerion brightflame

Aerys II the Mad King

(Dangerously) incompetent Targs:

Aegon II

Baelor I the Blessed

Aegon the Unworthy

Feeble witted Targs:

The Targaryen prince who dressed up a monkey like his son

Prince Rhaegal

Great Targs:

Aegon I the conqueror

Jaeherys I the concilliator

Good Queen Alysanne

Rhaenys 'the Queen who never was' Targaryen

Daeron the Daring

Viserys II

Aemon the Dragonknight

Daeron the Good

Princess Elaena Targaryen

Baelor Breakspear

Maester Aemon

Good Targs:

Daemon Targaryen

Helaena Targaryen

Daeron I the Young Dragon

Prince Vallar Targaryen

Aerys I

Maekar I

Aegon V the Unlikely

Jaeherys II

Hors category:

Rhaenyra Targaryen (she went full retard in the end, but after the loss of so many children, a father and other beloved family members + the betrayal of another part of her family you can understand why)

Viserys Targaryen (he went full retard in the end but after everything he went through that's understandable. The pressure got to him. Not saying that he would have been a great Targ, but with some proper guidance he would not have turned out the way he did)

Daeron the Drunk (incompetent, but he realized that and did his best not to get involved)

To soon to judge:

Rhaegar Targaryen (if it turns out that his actions did bring about tPtwP he's a good Targ. Otherwise I'll peg him down as dangerously incompetent)

Daenerys Targaryen (has the makings of a great Targ but before her arc is completed we can't say if she'll be that or a crazy one)

Unmentioned Targs:

Not enough information to judge (e.g. Aegon's sister wifes. They ruled his Kingdoms but Rhaenys got herself killed in Dorne and Visenya was Maegor mother)

Targaryen bastards/children with one Targaryen parent/Blackfyres:

Orys Baratheon => Great

Bloodraven => Great

Daemon Blackfyre => hors category (he would probably have made a fine King, but he did try to usurp his half-brothers throne. And Daeron II was the better man)

Bittersteel => hors category (superbly competent, not crazy but misjudged. If he had stayed loyal to the Kingdom he would have been a great asset)

Daemon II Blackfyre =>hors category (he was a good guy, but he was also incompetent)

Maelys the Monstrous => Dangerously crazy

Steffon Baratheon => Good (he seems to have been a competent guy and he was a good parent)

Characters channeling Targaryens:

Stannis Baratheon channels Maekar I

Oberyn Martell channels Prince Daemon Targaryen (

of dragon hopping fame

)

compare that to known Baratheons:

_ Orys Baratheon: Great guy (half-Targ)

_ Borros Baratheon: (dangerously) incompetent

_Lyonel Baratheon: Good, but very limited knowledge about him

_Steffon Baratheon: Good (half-Targ)

_Robert Baratheon: (dangerously) incompetent (Bob was a bad king, a bad father, a bad husband, etc. To summarize the body of a beast but the mind of a douche)

_Stannis Baratheon: Great (channels Maekar)

_Renly Baratheon: (dangerously) incompetent hors category (a Tyrell puppet who tried to steal his brothers crown. But he did have a great sense of style)

_Gendry Waters: good with potential of great (and he resembles Stannis and therefore Maekar in character)

Shireen and Edric are to young to judge (although Edric channels to much Robert imo and Shireen is a sweet child and Stannis' daughter so she'll probably go good to great).

Conclusion: The best Baratheon's are the one's that have the most Targ blood or channel the most Targ (exception: Lyonel). All the others channel Argillac the Arrogant and his line and follow the way of the douche.

Good catch with the Stannis- Maekar connection. Younger son who was given his own seat, and had something to do with the death of his brother. Maekar imprisoned BR, and Stannis wanted to go after Varys. Maekar held the line at the Battle of Redgrass Field just in time for Baelor to arrive, and Stannis held SE during the siege just in time for Ned to arrive to lift the siege.

And this as well.

A Targaryen king abolished the right of the first night. They don't have any superiority complex. They're a great house and all great houses are proud.

Perhaps they abolished the "right to the first night" simply because they didn't want anyone else screwing their sisters. That's entirely possible with their high opinion of their own bloodlines. Keep the riffraff DNA out.

Still, while with the Targs had a half decent reason for it......all the families make a big deal out of their sigils.

I think the Lannisters, Tyrell, Targaryens and Greyjoy does.

The Tullys are usually wearing the blue and red of their house we hardly ever hear about the fish except when they associate with the river.

Arya is the only Stark who goes around saying she's a wolf and having a wolf type of mentality. Robb, Jon, and Bran have refused to think of themselves as wolves even though I'm sure they know that they have warged their wolf(even Robb). I think the Starks are really take when it comes to their sigils so are the Martells kinda

Actually in most historical cases, the men were "supposed" to follow their lord first. "My vassal's vassal is not my vassal."

They were not supposed to. They did it because it was favourable to do so at the moment and dangerous to refuse. The phrase "The vassal of my vassal is not my vassal" is not a principle, but rather an observation of the nature of the feudal system, describing the king's ability to maintain effective authority over their lesser vassals as something unrealistic. A monarch is not an omnipresent god, able to supervise everyone.

But the war was caused by a controlling mother.

Aegon even believed Rhaenyra should be Queen before his mother polluted his mind.

Also when house Baratheon came into power they had their first civil war between siblings just after 14 years, it took the targs over hundred years, whiles each member even had a dragon.

So, as most of you already know, I dont like the targs. Like, any of them. I understand that there were a few of them that were alright(meaning not insane) and even a couple that were good rulers. I just dont like them, they irk me, and well I favor house baratheon alot.

Anyway, with that new short story from dangerous women we have a pretty good look at what house targ was like at the height of its power. And it just reinforces my views on them. A fucked up bunch of power hungry assholes. From fighting and killing vast amounts of people with dragonfire, to their blood of the dragon bullshit(not to mention raping smallfolk and going on about how dragon seed is a blessing, thats fucking disgusting.) They ruled westeros for 300 years and all they have to show for it is a road.

Anyway, anyone else feel the same way about them?

No I :love: the Targs(except Dany) and am not very fond of House Baratheon, well Robert anyway.

I guess I'm one of the few Baratheon fans who doesn't hate Targaryens. I actually like a decent amount of Targaryens. Maekar, Bloodraven, Baelor, and Aegon V are among my favorites. Aemon was a good man. Yeah, they've got their shit family members, but so does every other house.

I'm only opposed to them becuase if they win, then House Baratheon is gone(an outcome I'm positive will happen). That's just fanboyism though.

Archived