First Glimpses of Season 4 on Vine

Westeros

Oberyn's spear slide, then little ninja flip makes my heart flutter! If it's on par with the Beric and Sandor fight, it'll be awesome.

Oh I think they'll totally deliver Bronn's "uhhh no" response as a cold slap of reality. He and Tyrion are way more bros in the show, despite Bronn saying he's still a sellsword. It could be really awesome when Bronn, sans rancor but merely with practicality, refuses to fight for him. Tyrion realizes their friendship really was based on gold...adding fuel for his later interactions (and mayhaps jumping to conclusions) with Shae.

I usually get excited for trailers of movies, shows and games that I've been anticipating for a while. But none of them get me to analyse virtually every frame in it, like Game of Thrones does.

While Oberyn doesn't look like Oberyn as I imagined, that scene still looks amazing. As long as he acts like Oberyn, then I'll be perfectly happy.

Can't wait!

Oh I think they'll totally deliver Bronn's "uhhh no" response as a cold slap of reality. He and Tyrion are way more bros in the show, despite Bronn saying he's still a sellsword. It could be really awesome when Bronn, sans rancor but merely with practicality, refuses to fight for him. Tyrion realizes their friendship really was based on gold...adding fuel for his later interactions (and mayhaps jumping to conclusions) with Shae.

This so much. I really hope they don't try to pull off some sentimental moment between Tyrion and Bronn; it would severely weaken both characters. And it is important to drive home that EVERYONE has abandoned Tyrion.

On the vines:

Interesting that people are suggesting a skirmish at Craster's Keep, I didn't think of that. But it seems like a good way to fill in time before the assault on the wall. The action scenes look fantastic so far, and the editing was well done.

The Stannis ride also looks excellent. The camerawork with the horses riding between the trees is very impressive.

Gregor/Oberyn looks pretty epic. I have a few concerns with this arc; the first and foremost being that Pedro Pascal is not at all how I imagined the Red Viper. However, this action scene looks epic, and I haven't seen any of his actual acting yet, so I'll reserve judgement. Secondly, am I the only one that thinks the Mountain still looks a little small???

Sidenote: these vines are supposed to be silent right?

Edit: Nevermind, fixed it.

That spin seems really unnecessary, doesn't it?

Yup, a foolish waste of motion and energy. It's cute for an exhibition but for a real fight, especially a fight for your life, it's amateurish and just asking for trouble.

ETA:

Dragonstoned, (post below) agreed.

Yup, a foolish waste of motion and energy. It's cute for an exhibition but for a real fight, especially a fight for your life, it's amateurish and just asking for trouble.

Think that does sort of tally with Oberyn's overall cockiness and the way he goes about the fight. He could have dealt with Gregor efficiently and his hubris got the better of him.

I'm happy they dont put helms. It's a visual medium, after all.

I agree with you. It's much easier to convey emotions without a helmet.

Several people suggested that Jon's shots might be from Craster's Keep. I can see this happening, especially if Janos Slynt and Alliser Thorne send him on a suicide mission there. However, it would be difficult to explain how Jon can pass by all the wildlings unnoticed to reach the place.

Others have pointed out that Jon might be attacked while evacuating Mole's Town. I think this is more likely to occur. Either way I am higly excited.

I'm happy they dont put helms. It's a visual medium, after all.

O Baloney!

It didn't hurt the visual drama in recent ancient history films:

Gladiator (2000)

Troy (2004)

Alexander (2004)(Wish that had been a better film, or not made by Oliver Stone)

Even that piece of crap 300 film....

just to name a few

O Baloney!

It didn't hurt the visual drama in recent ancient history films:

Gladiator (2000)

Troy (2004)

Alexander (2004)(Wish that had been a better film, or not made by Oliver Stone)

Even that piece of crap 300 film....

just to name a few

Given how conveying Oberyn's emotions is essential to this scene, it's probably best if his face is fully visible to the audience.

That flip spin is 'not how you imagined it' becuase you didn't read it in the books! Oberyn didn't do any stupid flip jumping around. I feel like they are totally going to mess up the feeling and tone of this scene.

The Hound vs The Lightening Lord was awesome

Broon vs Ser Whatshisface was awesome

Ned vs Jamie was awesome

Brienne vs Loras was awesome

If there is one thing they do right its one-on-one combat. I'd rather they didn't have helmets purely for visual.

THIS. The fight scenes in the show really bring the books to life. The Beric-Hound duel was amazing, as was Ned and Jaime in S1. I also enjoyed the Hound and the Mountain at the Tourney of the Hand in S1.

I doubt it.

But after horse, D and D still have an aversion to helms!

(Helms are not that hard to control are they?)

It has nothing to do with the helmets being hard to control, but rather with being unable to recognize actors (for casual viewers) and for being able to portray more emotion. If an actor is wearing a helmet, you (obviously) can't see their face. That's not a problem in the books, but on the screen it can be, so even if it's less realistic, they get rid of them for the most part.

I don't really see this as a problem. It's just a compromise that has to be made for a visual medium.

THIS. The fight scenes in the show really bring the books to life. The Beric-Hound duel was amazing, as was Ned and Jaime in S1. I also enjoyed the Hound and the Mountain at the Tourney of the Hand in S1.

I loved that (albeit very short) Clegane Bowl preview in S1. That was when I knew I was going to like the Hound.

Archived