Lord Karstark Killing Catelyn

Tywin Manderly

Yeah not even Cersei would be that stupid, and we all know that that's saying a lot based off her performance in aFfC.

Karstark was pretty stupid. His reasons for murdering the two prisoners are pathetic.

Murdering Catelyn is the kind of idiocy one would expect from him.

Murdering two prisoners - and allied soldiers - isn't noble

Revenge for your murdered children is. Those particular victims were not the proper once but the real one was at large, so they became the best next thing.

:agree:

"THEY WERE BOYS!" - Robb

Enemies' soldiers.

Robb did wanted revenge. Why Robb was better than Rickard?

I'm no Robb fan, in fact I heavily dislike him, but it can be argued that while both were still techniquely 'children,' even though Westeros sees ages of maturity different to what we do, Joffrey is a vicious, uncontrollable boy king responsible for Ned's death and many others, whereas the Lannister hostages are blameless and had done nothing wrong at all.

I'm no Robb fan, in fact I heavily dislike him, but it can be argued that while both were still techniquely 'children,' even though Westeros sees ages of maturity different to what we do, Joffrey is a vicious, uncontrollable boy king responsible for Ned's death and many others, whereas the Lannister hostages are blameless and had done nothing wrong at all.

Then he should go alone killing Joff not using people and then demanding them to forget about their families and their losses.

Then he should go alone killing Joff not using people and then demanding them to forget about their families and their losses.

Rickard Karstark's sons were killed while fighting bravely in battle. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but people died in battles. Ned, on the other hand, was betrayed by those he (vaguely) trusted and executed after he was promised to be spared, and his entire household were massacred without mercy as well. I'm not one to be all "yeah Robb go get some revenge and kill some Lannisterz!!!1" but Robb did kind of have a more valid reason for wanting revenge than Karstark, who pretty much cracked a tantrum like a petulant child.

Revenge for your murdered children is. Those particular victims were not the proper once but the real one was at large, so they became the best next thing.

Enemies' soldiers.

His children weren't murdered. They died in battle. He shouldn't have taken them to war, if he was so concerned for them.

Rickard Karstark's sons were killed while fighting bravely in battle. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but people died in battles. Ned, on the other hand, was betrayed by those he (vaguely) trusted and executed after he was promised to be spared, and his entire household were massacred without mercy as well. I'm not one to be all "yeah Robb go get some revenge and kill some Lannisterz!!!1" but Robb did kind of have a more valid reason for wanting revenge than Karstark, who pretty much cracked a tantrum like a petulant child.

Losing your children to someone else's war and that someone denying you justice, which that was Robb looking for, isn't quite like a childish tantrum. Is it?

Since Torrhen and Eddard were killed by Jaime, Rickard was right to asking for his head. That was justice.

IIRC they killed some Tully guards as well.

They were standing in his way, collateral damages.

Since Torrhen and Eddard were killed by Jaime, Rickard was right to asking for his head. That was justice.

Since 163 kids were killed by slavers, Dany was right to kill 163 slavers. That was justice.*

*for the record, neither scenario has anything to do with justice. But if Dany can be condemned for not knowing if all 163 were truly guilty, then Rickard is even more damned, given he's well aware those boys weren't actually guilty.

Catelyn isn't a lannister. She's the mother of the northern king. So, um ... no reason to use her as a surrogate for his vengeance.

I mean, the real question is why would someone think in the way the OP thinks Karstark should have thought, not why Karstark thought the way he did (stupid as that was).

Actually, I have to disagree. Karstark realized that killing the Lannister kids was going to be big trouble (regardless of the mouth he gave Robb at his capture), otherwise he wouldn't have made sure that most of his own healthy bannermen fled while Karstark and company were doing the murders. Not only did he send his bannermen off in the dark, but he sent them off hunting the Kingslayer, not to return to his KIng and captivity, but to have Jaime killed.

I'd forgotten that. Thank you.

Losing your children to someone else's war and that someone denying you justice, which that was Robb looking for, isn't quite like a childish tantrum. Is it?

They were standing in his way, collateral damages.

Killing people whose surrender has been accepted by one's commanding officer (as well as their guards) isn't justice. It's murder and mutiny. And, it puts every prisoner in Lannister hands at risk.

Archived