The riddle of the Sphinx is Tyrion

Daendrew

"The Sphinx is the riddle, not the riddler." the prophesy says.

Now what is a sphinx? You could call it half man. Part lion, part dragon, part man.

Or you can call it the halfman.

Now the Sphinx in Egypt also has its nose cut off.

Ring any bells my Winterfellas? We will yet have an imp riding a dragon in the sky.

Tyrion is one of the three heads of the dragon, that is the part of the puzzle needing to come together as a bastard son of King Aerys and Joanna Lannister, wife of Tywin Lannister.

I like the 'Part lion, part dragon, part man' angle, and i think grrm is hinting at a tri-faceted entity by using sphinx.

Sadly I'm not down with Tyrion being a Targ, so that's where you lose me. :frown5:

Ever considered the sphinx, three headed dragon, and the three headed trios of Braavos might be alluding to the same thing?

Hmm... The first guess would be that it's about Alleras the Sphinx. But everything is seldom what is seems in aSoiaF.

Given that Aemon was a Targaryen and spent his last days pondering Daenerys, her claim, and the three-headed dragon, the mystery of the Sphinx could very well be about the third head. And Tyrion is certainly a nose-less halfman with lion blood. If Tyrion turns out to be Aerys' offsping, this theory will become very plausible.

"The Sphinx is the riddle, not the riddler." the prophesy says.

Now what is a sphinx? You could call it half man. Part lion, part dragon, part man.

Or you can call it the halfman.

Now the Sphinx in Egypt also has its nose cut off.

Ring any bells my Winterfellas? We will yet have an imp riding a dragon in the sky.

Tyrion is one of the three heads of the dragon, that is the part of the puzzle needing to come together as a bastard son of King Aerys and Joanna Lannister, wife of Tywin Lannister.

Nope. Tyrion is Tywin's son.

I really hate the A+J=T theory, it goes against everything we know about Tyrion and Tywin, and it would also really devalue Tyrion's story. Oh look, Tyrion isn't really a kinslayer, he didn't kill his biological father! Bah. And even worse, it would make Tywin right about Tyrion not being his son; and characters are always wrong when they think those kinds of things, especially since Tywin wanted to believe it because he didn't want to face the fact he fathered a 'monster'. Ironically, Tyrion's personality has more in common with Tywins' (not too much, fortunately... or hopefully) than Jaime's, which Genna pointed out. Not to mention that Tyrion has nothing in common with Aerys or the Targaryens we know.

Although I'm not a fan of secret Targs theories, if Joanna had any bastards by Aerys, I much prefer it to be Cersei and Jaime, which would both make sense because of the Joffrey = Aerys and Cersei = Aerys similarities, which have been noted in text (and would also offer a better explanation for Aerys' weird behavior regarding Jaime), and represent soooo much delicious, delicious irony. (Tywin's golden, perfect children were not his own, but the ugly dwarf he wanted to believe was not his was actually his only biological child? Jaime killed his father, like Tyrion? The only man other than Jaime that Cersei was ever able to fall in love with was also her brother?)

But that's no reason for Tyrion not be a dragonrider. I think that the idea that only Targaryens can be dragonriders is just Targ propaganda.

Yeah - we know from an ssm Tyrion was named by "his father" and Jon "by Ned". Not that i needed anything to kill this theory for me personally, but this sealed it.

Have to agree with you. When the author is so specific that he states, by his FATHER, and by NED, it meas something.

yolkboy, on 20 Jan 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

Yeah - we know from an ssm Tyrion was named by "his father" and Jon "by Ned". Not that i needed anything to kill this theory for me personally, but this sealed it.

Good to know. I hate A + J = T.

The Lannister family's tragic dysfunction is one of the most well written facets of the series. Making Tyrion another secret Targ would just ruin it.

Do Sphinxes snarl?

More seriously...the part about being without a nose doesn't make sense. The Egyptian Sphinx, the famous one next to the Great Pyramid, has no nose because of either vandalism or disrepair and decay (can't recall, too lazy to look it up). But the mythical Sphinx in our world and the probably mythical / possibly real Sphinx in ASOIAF both have a human face and full human nose.

Now on the other hand...it may be some GRRM joke about the nose if indeed Tyrion is a Sphinx. One argument in favor of this: it is said (it is known!) that Sphinxes speak in riddles. Indeed, Tyrion is fond of his riddle, and asks it everywhere he goes:

"Where DO whores go?"

(Folks, we may now have a new Riddle of the Sphinx!)

Oh jeeze... so now Tyrion is:

-Secret Targ

-soon to be dragon rider

-3rd head of dragon

-not kingslayer

-still rightful heir to CR

-will either marry Dany or act as her hand

And now the sphinx!

How about no. He's just an ass hole with a chip the size of the North on his shoulder. Kinslaying son of Tywin who has lost his "rightful" claim to CR. He very likely will never ride a dragon or marry a Queen.

Barristan told Dany the Mad King took "liberties" with Joanna (Tyrions mother) at the bedding with her marraige to Tywin. This may have been around the time that Tywin stormed out of Kings Landing? I don't recall.

Aerys was jealous of Tywin and wanted to put him down a notch. Another reason why he appointed Jamie at 15 years old to the KG to have Tyrion be the heir to embarass Tywin.

That explains:

1) Cersei and Jamie incestuous love for one another as a Targaryen. thing

2) Cerseis and Joffreys maddness/paranoia as they are Targs.

If Tyrion is also a Targ which I believe, Tywin has no trueborn children.

Do Sphinxes snarl?

More seriously...the part about being without a nose doesn't make sense. The Egyptian Sphinx, the famous one next to the Great Pyramid, has no nose because of either vandalism or disrepair and decay (can't recall, too lazy to look it up). But the mythical Sphinx in our world and the probably mythical / possibly real Sphinx in ASOIAF both have a human face and full human nose.

Now on the other hand...it may be some GRRM joke about the nose if indeed Tyrion is a Sphinx. One argument in favor of this: it is said (it is known!) that Sphinxes speak in riddles. Indeed, Tyrion is fond of his riddle, and asks it everywhere he goes:

"Where DO whores go?"

(Folks, we may now have a new Riddle of the Sphinx!)

That is a really good point. Where do whores go is the riddle occupying his life.

Aemon and Sam were heading to the Citadel, when he told "The Sphinx is the riddle, not the riddler".

There's a pair of sphinxes in the entrance of the Citadel.

Aemon was about to die, the sphinxes are probably the first thing that comes to mind. Think like it's the Citadel's sigil.

Anyways, when Sam reached the Citadel, Marwin questioned him about his parentage, dragons, the Others etc. But these are not important, the important thing is what the Citadel is up to?

Aemon warned Sam about the Citadel.

Archived