The Tourney at Ashford and Sansa's suitors

Garlan Marius

Not trying to claim credit for this theory whatsoever, but I felt it deserved to be posted over here, and I haven't seen it before. All credit goes to bluefoot3 of the ASoIaF subreddit. I'll post the original post in full, let's see what you folks have to say:

In the Hedge Knight, Dunk and Egg go to a tourney held at Ashford to celebrate Lord Ashford's daughter's 13th name-day. Lady Ashford has 5 champions fighting on her behalf and anyone who defeats a champion ends up replacing their opponent as a champion for Lady Ashford. In the end, the 5 champions who end up defending Lady Ashford are:

1. Lyonel Baratheon
  2. Leo Tyrell
  3. Tybolt Lannister
  4. Humfrey Hardyng
  5. Prince Valarr Targaryen

When you look at the names of the champions' families and the fact they fight for a 13 year old maid, especially with the family Hardying, we find out that they correspond strongly with Sansa's suitors in A Song of Ice and Fire.

1. Sansa's first betrothed to Joffrey Baratheon
  2. Sansa's then planned to be wed to Willas Tyrell
  3. Sansa's married to Tyrion Lannister
  4. Sansa's now being betrothed to Harry Hardyng

The fact that GRRM put Hardyng in that mix is what really makes me think this is a sly foreshadowing of Sansa's future husband/suitors in TWOW and beyond. But, there's one suitor that we have yet to see, the Targaryen suitor (foreshadowed by Valarr Targaryen).

I think this makes a particularly strong case for Aegon VI Targaryen being a suitor for Sansa in TWOW or ADOS. It would round out the set nicely and lend credence to Sansa playing a large role in Westerosi Politics in the upcoming books.

Why Aegon and not Jon?

You might say "Aegon's not really a Targaryen! He's Varys' puppet and a Blackfyre to boot! Wouldn't this hint at Jon being Sansa's future suitor?"

To that I say: For this foreshadowing, what matters are the family NAME of the suitor and not the actual blood of the suitor. Joffrey would be considered the Baratheon even though he's a Lannister because of his name, and thus Aegon would be considered a Targaryen even if he's a fake, so it works out.

Additionally, Aegon is planning his invasion and will need allies.

• One could argue he already has the Martells because he's Elia's son. A marriage with Arianne would not be necessary to gain the allegiance of Dorne.
  • By TWOW he has already captured Storm's End, thus giving him a stronghold in the Stormlands.
  • Jon Connington mentions that the Golden Company still has friends in the Reach, which probably makes courting Margaery unnecessary
  • The Lannisters are on the throne and Aegon's biggest enemies. They'll never be able to win the allegiance of the Westerlands.
  • Both Aegon and Jon Connington seem to have abandoned hope of Daenerys joining them soon, and have already begun plotting to conquer Westeros

The 3 Kingdoms Aegon has left to win are the North, the Riverlands, and the Vale. And guess which girl has the strongest ties to each of those Kingdoms? Sansa Stark, heir to Winterfell, niece of Edmure Tully, and currently betrothed to the heir to the Vale.

If this foreshadowing is true, what does this mean for TWOW?

• It means that Harry the Heir is a stop-gap solution, a true red-herring if there ever was one, and will soon be killed or out of the game.

• It means the isolationist Vale saga should come to an end by TWOW, and the Vale will have to take sides in this war if Aegon happens to be a suitor for Sansa.

• It means either LF has abandoned the Vale-Hardyng plan for Sansa and is using her to woo Aegon, or maybe LF's no longer in power and Sansa is left to meet Aegon on her own.

• It means that LF and Varys conflict will finally come to a head. At this point, we must assume that Aegon is championed by Varys while Sansa is being championed by Littlefinger. But if Aegon appears to be enamored or interested in having Sansa, you'll have to wonder if LF will just let his prized possession just waltz into Varys' hands.

• It means that the Dornish Alliance with Aegon will be a lot more complicated that we think. Arianne and Doran would definitely want Aegon to marry Arianne to cement an alliance, but what if Aegon demands their allegiance by virtue that he's Arianne's cousin? If he goes after Sansa, I wonder how they will react.

What probably will happen

If anyone believes this is a precursor to a great romance, you'd have to take a look at all of Sansa's previous suitors. Joffrey, Tyrion, Willas, and Harry are all suitors Sansa was forced into choosing, something that was out of her control. Moreover, none of the pairings ever seemed to have a happy ending. Harry the Heir looks to be another Robert Baratheon, so I think we can assume Sansa isn't going to fall in love with him either.

If we follow this pattern, Aegon will not likely be a suitor Sansa chooses for love, or even chooses at all. Likely this will be another political ploy Sansa will be forced to face, and none of those have had a happy ending. I think this is just more and more problems for Sansa (especially if they marry and Dany shows up).

Finally: What happened to the suitors at the Tourney of Ashford?

We don't know what's going to happen in TWOW, but we do know what happened in the Hedge Knight.

• None of the 5 champions ended up marrying Lady Ashford
  • No information was given about Lady Ashford afterward
  • Humfrey Hardying was wounded in a fight in a Trial of Seven during the tourney and died of his wounds
  • Valarr Targaryen ended dying from the Great Spring Sickness

I'd like to think this foreshadows Harry's imminent demise (perhaps by LF or another party) and Aegon Targaryen's death by greyscale (courtesy of Jon Connington). He has doom written all over him anyway.

As for Sansa, she's still left to deal with Harry. I don't think she'll marry him because Aegon will come by soon. Whether or not she marries Aegon is up for debate. All I know is there is no happy ending to any of these pairings.

TL;DR Aegon and Sansa will be paired up sometime in the future. The ending's not going to be good.

It's definitely possible, and I like the connection made between Sansa and Lady Ashford even though I don't take it as substantial evidence. I expect Harry to be much more of a device than a major character. Marrying Sansa could be a masterstroke for Aegon but only if the Starks and Tullys can take back control of the North and the Riverlands, and that would likely rely on the swords of the Vale rallying behind Sansa. If you believe in the Grand Northern conspiracy then it's likely Jon who the North and Riverlords are throwing their support behind and that kind of throws a spanner in the works for Littlefinger's world domination plans. He can't control Jon and he certainly can't control Aegon so it'll be interesting to see what choices Sansa makes in the future.

Well, if Harry the Heir is a device, so is Willas Tyrell. I just think the inclusion of "Hardying" in The Hedge Knight has to have been intentional, considering that the rest of the champions are of great houses. Or perhaps that making Robert Arryn's heir a Hardying is a nod back to the champions.

Well as some have pointed out, there was talk of marrying Sansa to SR, and there was no "Arryn" at Ashford...though, the SR engagement was always the least likely, and perhaps not credible enough to count. Also, Harry the Heir, is part Arryn by blood anyway...and of course these 'suitors' might just be symbolizing different dynasties/families/regions that are trying to *claim* Sansa.

Arianne/fAegon seems a more likely match, for a lot of reasons, but maybe that's all a red herring on GRRM's part. It is possible that fAegon might see Sansa as a great political match if he isn't assured of Dany coming to Westeros anytime soon. She has claims to the North and Riverlands, and is cousin to the Lord of the Vale. I don't see such a match being one Sansa would be too thrilled about but it doesn't mean fAegon and other forces, (like Varys, or LF, or someone else entirely like the Blackfish hoping to get rid of the Lannister's) wouldn't try.

Or it could be the Targaryen suitor in question is actually Jon-between him and fAegon, I'd actually like him better for Sansa.

Though, really, I think she'd be happiest marrying some nice young man from a noble, Northern household, (or possibly the Vale or Riverlands if the groom in question was willing to re-locate) and helping Rickon re-build Winterfell.

All contingent of course, on getting her out of her marriage to Tyrion, but since the marriage was coerced, unconsummated, and Tyrion was married before anyway, there might be legal ways to get the marriage set aside...or of course, Tyrion might not survive the whole series.

I actually do like it, and seems plausible even for a single reason that it very clearly pits Daenerys against a Stark protagonist, a rather loved one. :lol:

Not if Aegon marries Dany and Sansa.

DoD might be between Unjon and those 3, or Victarion in there, or Euron, or who knows who else can get a dragon under control.

Her bethrothal to Robert Arryn strikes me as just as serious as her betrothal to Willas Tyrell. Meaning, this theory has a hole the size of Robert Arryn in it.

Or, Robert Arryn is secretly Targaryen!

On another note, I think it is worth pointing out just how little Sansa actually delivers. Typically, marrying a lord's daughter ties that lord to your cause. Only in Sansa's case, her relatives are almost universally deposed if not outright killed. Even her cousin who is confirmed as Lord of the Eyrie is a ward of Littlefinger who has the actual power and control. The Freys in the Riverlands now control Riverrun, and have the hostages to control the rest. They certainly aren't going to march for Aegon the Maybe because he married Sansa. Finally, the North is currently divided between Stannis supporters and Bolton supporters. They are quite busy right now and won't march south just because they hear Sansa's married to some kid they've never heard of who claims to be a Targaryen. Not 20 years ago they went to war to depose Targaryens. They have quite a lot on there hands right now.

I for one maintain Aegon the Maybe will marry Margaery.

Her bethrothal to Robert Arryn strikes me as just as serious as her betrothal to Willas Tyrell. Meaning, this theory has a hole the size of Robert Arryn in it.

If Robert Arryn dies before she reveals herself then her betrothal to him will be fully encompassed by her time as Alayne...

Finally, the North is currently divided between Stannis supporters and Bolton supporters. They are quite busy right now and won't march south just because they hear Sansa's married to some kid they've never heard of who claims to be a Targaryen.

I think the Battle of Ice is going to settle that divide soon enough.

I have been screaming this since finishing ADWD. Sansa is the younger, more beautiful Queen that will cast Cersie down and she will be Aegon's Queen. However, she will have a tragic end, at the hands of Dany and her "people" and possibly her dragon.

Well as some have pointed out, there was talk of marrying Sansa to SR, and there was no "Arryn" at Ashford...though, the SR engagement was always the least likely, and perhaps not credible enough to count. Also, Harry the Heir, is part Arryn by blood anyway...and of course these 'suitors' might just be symbolizing different dynasties/families/regions that are trying to *claim* Sansa.

To me, SR was always an "if" or had a conditional. It depended on Tyrion being dead. Also, Lysa said it would be a secret marriage because she wasn't Sansa but Alayne. Only Lysa and LF knew who she really was so, that marriage wasn't meant for the world to see. All other candidates were meant to be known by everyone.

Joffrey - they were expecting her blood, but it was going to happen anyway. Tyrion being dead was something that still hasn't happened at all and had no chances.

Willas - was very likely until the Lannister won her over, and it wasn't going to be a secret marriage.

Tyrion - happened.

The rest, we don't know how her engagement to HtH will play.

Arianne/fAegon seems a more likely match, for a lot of reasons, but maybe that's all a red herring on GRRM's part.

This gets thrown around a lot, but I don't buy it. Aegon doesn't need to marry a Martell to acquire their allegiance. He's supposed to be Elia's son, after all. "Sorry nephew, I would have supported you, but you just aren't close enough a relation to me."

• 1 month later...

Not trying to claim credit for this theory whatsoever, but I felt it deserved to be posted over here, and I haven't seen it before. All credit goes to bluefoot3 of the ASoIaF subreddit. I'll post the original post in full, let's see what you folks have to say:

In the Hedge Knight, Dunk and Egg go to a tourney held at Ashford to celebrate Lord Ashford's daughter's 13th name-day. Lady Ashford has 5 champions fighting on her behalf and anyone who defeats a champion ends up replacing their opponent as a champion for Lady Ashford. In the end, the 5 champions who end up defending Lady Ashford are:

1. Lyonel Baratheon

Leo Tyrell

Tybolt Lannister

Humfrey Hardyng

Prince Valarr Targaryen

When you look at the names of the champions' families and the fact they fight for a 13 year old maid, especially with the family Hardying, we find out that they correspond strongly with Sansa's suitors in A Song of Ice and Fire.

1. Sansa's first betrothed to Joffrey Baratheon

2. Sansa's then planned to be wed to Willas Tyrell

Sansa's married to Tyrion Lannister

Sansa's now being betrothed to Harry Hardyng

The fact that GRRM put Hardyng in that mix is what really makes me think this is a sly foreshadowing of Sansa's future husband/suitors in TWOW and beyond. But, there's one suitor that we have yet to see, the Targaryen suitor (foreshadowed by Valarr Targaryen).

I think this makes a particularly strong case for Aegon VI Targaryen being a suitor for Sansa in TWOW or ADOS. It would round out the set nicely and lend credence to Sansa playing a large role in Westerosi Politics in the upcoming books.

Why Aegon and not Jon?

You might say "Aegon's not really a Targaryen! He's Varys' puppet and a Blackfyre to boot! Wouldn't this hint at Jon being Sansa's future suitor?"

To that I say: For this foreshadowing, what matters are the family NAME of the suitor and not the actual blood of the suitor. Joffrey would be considered the Baratheon even though he's a Lannister because of his name, and thus Aegon would be considered a Targaryen even if he's a fake, so it works out.

Additionally, Aegon is planning his invasion and will need allies.

• One could argue he already has the Martells because he's Elia's son. A marriage with Arianne would not be necessary to gain the allegiance of Dorne.

By TWOW he has already captured Storm's End, thus giving him a stronghold in the Stormlands.

Jon Connington mentions that the Golden Company still has friends in the Reach, which probably makes courting Margaery unnecessary

The Lannisters are on the throne and Aegon's biggest enemies. They'll never be able to win the allegiance of the Westerlands.

Both Aegon and Jon Connington seem to have abandoned hope of Daenerys joining them soon, and have already begun plotting to conquer Westeros

The 3 Kingdoms Aegon has left to win are the North, the Riverlands, and the Vale. And guess which girl has the strongest ties to each of those Kingdoms? Sansa Stark, heir to Winterfell, niece of Edmure Tully, and currently betrothed to the heir to the Vale.

If this foreshadowing is true, what does this mean for TWOW?

• It means that Harry the Heir is a stop-gap solution, a true red-herring if there ever was one, and will soon be killed or out of the game.

• It means the isolationist Vale saga should come to an end by TWOW, and the Vale will have to take sides in this war if Aegon happens to be a suitor for Sansa.

It means either LF has abandoned the Vale-Hardyng plan for Sansa and is using her to woo Aegon, or maybe LF's no longer in power and Sansa is left to meet Aegon on her own.

It means that LF and Varys conflict will finally come to a head. At this point, we must assume that Aegon is championed by Varys while Sansa is being championed by Littlefinger. But if Aegon appears to be enamored or interested in having Sansa, you'll have to wonder if LF will just let his prized possession just waltz into Varys' hands.

It means that the Dornish Alliance with Aegon will be a lot more complicated that we think. Arianne and Doran would definitely want Aegon to marry Arianne to cement an alliance, but what if Aegon demands their allegiance by virtue that he's Arianne's cousin? If he goes after Sansa, I wonder how they will react.

What probably will happen

If anyone believes this is a precursor to a great romance, you'd have to take a look at all of Sansa's previous suitors. Joffrey, Tyrion, Willas, and Harry are all suitors Sansa was forced into choosing, something that was out of her control. Moreover, none of the pairings ever seemed to have a happy ending. Harry the Heir looks to be another Robert Baratheon, so I think we can assume Sansa isn't going to fall in love with him either.

If we follow this pattern, Aegon will not likely be a suitor Sansa chooses for love, or even chooses at all. Likely this will be another political ploy Sansa will be forced to face, and none of those have had a happy ending. I think this is just more and more problems for Sansa (especially if they marry and Dany shows up).

Finally: What happened to the suitors at the Tourney of Ashford?

We don't know what's going to happen in TWOW, but we do know what happened in the Hedge Knight.

• None of the 5 champions ended up marrying Lady Ashford

No information was given about Lady Ashford afterward

Humfrey Hardying was wounded in a fight in a Trial of Seven during the tourney and died of his wounds

Valarr Targaryen ended dying from the Great Spring Sickness

I'd like to think this foreshadows Harry's imminent demise (perhaps by LF or another party) and Aegon Targaryen's death by greyscale (courtesy of Jon Connington). He has doom written all over him anyway.

As for Sansa, she's still left to deal with Harry. I don't think she'll marry him because Aegon will come by soon. Whether or not she marries Aegon is up for debate. All I know is there is no happy ending to any of these pairings.

TL;DR Aegon and Sansa will be paired up sometime in the future. The ending's not going to be good.

I think that's the most credible theory that I've ever seen :bowdown:

I agree that Harry the Heir is a goner. He is useful for getting Sansa control of the Vale and from there she will take the North, as per Littlefinger's designs. After that Harry will be disposable. I am sure that Littlefinger has his sight set for the throne however and Sansa and whoever takes control of the south will have to come to some kind of truce. The simplest way is through marriage.

Archived