Game of Thrones Featurette Due February 9

Westeros

Joff really does have very limited screentime, less than many guest actors have had. Actually Elio (and presumably Linda) thought that his Ros and Daisy scene was a worthwhile addition and made sense as a logical implication of making Joff older. That was their two cents at least. I'm pretty sure that was the only scene in which Joffers was the only main cast member present, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree somewhat with Elio's assessment. ShowJoff is several years older than BookJoff, he's well into puberty. We know from the books that he tortures animals. Sexual deviation is a "natural" evolution of his established persona. The scene with the whores was very well played in my opinion.

On the other hand, Elio does tend to fall into the trap of over-analyzing certain aspects of the show, not giving an ambiguous scene the benefit of the doubt, as if intent on reading it the "negative" way.

Considering Ramsay and Roose are likely going to become main villains after the deaths of Joffrey and Tywin, it makes a lot of sense to show how fucked up Ramsay's hunts are. It is such a pivotal part of his character in the books and it would be an opportunity missed if that wasn't in the show. Just talking about Ramsay's hunts and not showing it isn't as effective in a TV medium for obvious reasons. What works in the book doesn't necessarily work on the show. All they have to do is show one hunt and that would get the point across. Like other people have already suggested, they can just cut away and imply what Ramsay is doing without showing it in full detail.

On a somewhat related note, I absolutely can't wait for Ramsay and Roose to share scenes together. Both actors are fantastic.

While Cersei is a little more sympathetic in the show, I'm sure her madness will gradually begin to show after the Purple Wedding. The walk of shame, in my opinion, is one of the most important parts of her arc. If she doesn't want to go full nude, I don't see a problem with wearing something along the lines of a small loincloth. After all, it would take a lot of guts to do a scene like that where you're walking naked past hundreds of extras and being the focus of hatred.

The logistics of shooting the Walk of Shame would be troubling, particularly with camera phones and whatnot. I'm certain they'll do it and likely also the shaving thing as well, because Lena's had short hair before and has complained about her wig in the past.

Filming the Walk of Shame should be pretty easy. If she doesn't want to be nude in front of a whole bunch of extras, they could always use a green screen or whatever they use. Film just her walking, then bring in the extras afterwards to stare at some object that's "walking". Put the 2 scenes on top of each other and there you go.

I'm surprised people keep citing the Lena Headey nudity stuff in the wrong way when there's an explicit interview here that all but gives away what's going to happen to Cersei on the show:

http://www.blastr.com/2013-6-27/lena-headey-explains-why-nudity-means-power-game-thrones

"I've said from day one that I've got no problem with nudity. I've done it throughout my career. But for this character, it's been better for her regality and her feistiness to not bare her flesh until she has to. When it's out of her control. And if that ever happens, it won't be Cersei being seductive or sexy. She'll be stripped. That kind of a scene will have more power if it's not an everyday occurrence. I can't wait for that."

She couldn't have mapped out that spoiler any more clearly unless she said "Can't wait for the Walk of Shame."

But for me (and I think most people) that scene took Joffrey's evil to another level. I think it was important to contrast Joffrey's petulant childish moments with moments of outright evil. Put simply, I think it was an important scene because it made us hate Joffrey even more.

Killing babies wasn't evil? I believe you when you say you liked the scene. What I'm trying to point out, is a lot of people didn't. There were other ways of showing this.

Thank you for some good ol' common sense, ebevan91 and King Tommen :) There are plenty of ways to film the WOS, and as for the person wondering about camera phones, all I have to say is: Why would these be any more of an issue on the GoT set as against any other TV or movie set?

Killing babies wasn't evil? I believe you when you say you liked the scene. What I'm trying to point out, is a lot of people didn't. There were other ways of showing this.

Joffrey didn't kill any babies. He ordered other men to do it for him. Just as he's ordered other men to do nearly all of his 'dirty work' for him. And just as he ordered Ros to beat Daisy while he sat and watched. However, there's a clear progression in terms of how far he's willing to go, which culminates with Joffrey killing Ros himself.

They could have used the example from the books:

“No, your father did,” Joff said, “but I killed your father. I wish I’d done it myself. I killed a man last night who was bigger than your father. They came to the gate shouting my name and calling for bread like I was some baker, but I taught them better. I shot the loudest one right through the throat.”

A nice lead-up to the riot, too.

They could have used the example from the books:

A nice lead-up to the riot, too.

But they obviously wanted to show that there was a sexual element as well. They needed to show that Joffrey has become a dangerous man now, not just a dangerous child.

It also might have something to do with the purple wedding. They need to show that Joffrey is too much of a psychopath to be a viable husband for Margaery, therefore making it clear that the Tyrell's have a motive for murdering him.

But they obviously wanted to show that there was a sexual element as well. They needed to show that Joffrey has become a dangerous man now, not just a dangerous child.

He shot at a woman in the book scene, too, just got her in the arm. Maybe they could have him shoot the woman in the throat instead of the man if killing a woman makes him a man. Or does the woman have to be naked for him to be a man.

(And yes, I'm questioning this. I don't think he had to kill a naked woman to be considered a man.)

Also they didn't look at teenagers the same way in Westeros:

You were a child or you were an adult. And the onset of sexual maturity meant you were an adult. So I reflected that in the books.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/12/george-martin-talks-a-dance-with-dragons/

Let me rephrase that: "the beginning of Dany's descent into madness". There. Better? Honestly, given what Emilia said in this interview about Dany starting to lose control (both in terms of her dragons and and concerning her conquering streak) really has me hoping that this will be the beginning of no-so-sane-and-nice Dany from ADWD.

No, not really.

You know what? Why not just say what you intend to do.

As you wish (although I thought it was pretty clear already):

Please do not think that I was trying to criticize you. I wasn't. I quoted your post, because it prompted another person to criticize this approach to watching the series (skipping scenes and watching only the bits you like), which in turn led to PatrickStormborn criticizing THAT person for criticizing your approach. So far, this is all good and fair...

But, I have seen this very same argument before, albeit in the book section of this forum, where people were practically flamed for taking that approach to the book (skipping chapters to get to the ones you like). Somehow everybody seemed to be okay with that criticism, but now that somebody does the same in the TV section that seems to be a problem? I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong: I do not want to dictate how you are supposed to watch the series or read the books. I frequently skip(ped) chapters even during my first read and I do (and did) fast forward certain scenes of the show. I don't care how people read/watch ASOIAF/GoT. Everybody (and that includes, you, me, Patrick and everybody else on this forum) can read/watch the series in Chinese, upside down, backwards with bits missing here and bits jumbled up there for all that I care. I was just taking offense at the double standard applied to criticizing reading/watching habits.

Again: This was in no way meant to be an attack/insult/criticism towards you. Your post was merely the one that "started it" (which sounds way more aggressive than it is meant to be, I know). And I admit, my post first post (in which I quoted you), was not entirely clear, because I didn't include the post of the initial criticism to "segmented watching", as one might call it. I'll have to go and add that one to my post, but later. It's 2.30 am where I live and I really need to get some sleep.

(And yes, I'm questioning this. I don't think he had to kill a naked woman to be considered a man.)

Ros wasn't naked in her death scene. Not even partially. That being said, are we talking about "two whores scene" from S2 or Ros death from S3? :ph34r:

As far as I know, the girl at the wrong end of a sceptre wasn't killed, was she?

^Well, we didn't see her again. I read it as her dying.

BTW, "the Garden of Bones" ep. should have been called "the Hour of the Wolf" because of the Robb and Greywind business that begins the episode and then also, Tyrion's reference to it as a time of night in that great Lancel scene. I like when the titles have more of a throughline.

Let me rephrase that: "the beginning of Dany's descent into madness". There. Better? Honestly, given what Emilia said in this interview about Dany starting to lose control (both in terms of her dragons and and concerning her conquering streak) really has me hoping that this will be the beginning of no-so-sane-and-nice Dany from ADWD.

You do know that there is not textual evidence for Dany descending into madness? It seems like a person made it up one day and a lot of people hopped on board for various reasons and decided it was true. And it is a far cry between a person losing control of a situation and becoming insane... just saying.

It's almost as if people WANT it to be true, rather than looking at what's in the text.

You do know that there is not textual evidence for Dany descending into madness? It seems like a person made it up one day and a lot of people hopped on board for various reasons and decided it was true. And it is a far cry between a person losing control of a situation and becoming insane... just saying.

It's almost as if people WANT it to be true, rather than looking at what's in the text.

Exactly.

And they're only saying it because she's a Targaryen and the daughter of the Mad King. So everything she does and says is suddenly a sign of her "descending into madness", even though there's zero signs of madness on her part in the actual text.

I also love how "losing control of the situation" is a sign of madness; so, I guess Ned Stark, Robb Stark, and Jon Snow all were mad? Or, she says something that sounds "intolerant" - to slavers, and she's mad, while Stannis has said similar and harsher things about everyone from the wildlings to all the lords in Westeros, but he's not "mad" or "descending into madness".

Wow, I hope Barbarian Girl was the one to root for, because I was.

Another thing, in the preview, Dany is on a horse that looks like the silver, I am totally pretending it is (nope, the horse Drogo gave her is not dead).

The barbarian lady is the "antagonist who's totally justified in her bloodlust" or, Wildling!Arya... there's a reason she doesn't say anything. Rome itself is depicted as corrupt and warmongering, but the individual soldiers are just people, good and bad. The dude who got pwned is the general...he's kind of cool in his own right, as the survivors of his army tried to rescue him and he was like "goddamn it, leave me and survive!" Pretty entertaining movie (I saw it on Netflix).

Because of the earlier scene with Cersei and Tywin, I thought the murder of Ros was to show that Margaery does not have much influence on him. Unsullied see Margaery making Joffers act like a crush-addled teenager around her so it begs the question, "oh, could Margaery curtail his worst impulses?" The show promptly answered nope. That said, it reeked of "stuffed in a fridge" syndrome...if they'd included a scene of Ros first going into Joffrey's chamber, and her acting expressing some of the points of Littlefinger's on-the-nose monologue, she could've gone out better. They were establishing her as a supporting character yet killed her off like an extra. Schade.

But thinking a bit further, I'm encouraged by their treatment of Margaery that they can portray future Sansa as the politicker that Littlefinger seems to be grooming her as. Whatever Margaery's smirk powers, she hasn't done anything beyond petting a crossbow and plying Joff with effective words, but it's still cool to watch.

Oh, good, I was rooting for the right person. Sort of a Spartacus vibe, seems like. I loved that show but Gannicus, they should have let him live. To hell with history, bend it, shape it, entertain us.

I think they had enough to go on with Joffrey without going there...

I think Sansa has got her own thing going on, and it's not what Littlefinger has in mind. In the books, anyway. I think they gutted her in the show and are using her as a prop. Like they did with Catelyn.

Archived