Paper book or Ebook?

sam90

I'm a fan of both. Love my nook but also still can't help but buy paperbacks all the time. I pretty much split my reading between the two evenly.

This is pretty much my stance too :) Usually I will go with what is cheaper, but if it is a series where all of the books are hard copies, are they are all on my e-reader, I will complete the set as they are. I will also by hard copies of books if I think they look good

Hopefully this does not constitute thread drift, but I couldn't think where else to put this.

Here's a little real talk about the book publishing industry — it adds almost no value, it is going to be wiped off the face of the earth soon, and writers and readers will be better off for it.

I'm not sure where I stand on this.

Hopefully this does not constitute thread drift, but I couldn't think where else to put this.

I'm not sure where I stand on this.

I'm starting to get the idea that publishers don't take e-book production all that seriously, except for the pricing. While reading, I sometimes find myself wondering if a human has even looked at it before release and really hoping, for the author's sake, that all those errors didn't make it into the print version as well.

I guess it doesn't help much that there are multiple e-book formats to be produced.

I'm starting to get the idea that publishers don't take e-book production all that seriously, except for the pricing. While reading, I sometimes find myself wondering if a human has even looked at it before release and really hoping, for the author's sake, that all those errors didn't make it into the print version as well.

I guess it doesn't help much that there are multiple e-book formats to be produced.

I can say from personal experience that the production of the ebook itself is not difficult if you know what you're doing. Seriously, if done correctly it takes about five minutes to make something decent.

Just to clarify, by e-Book you mean the text right?

If so, how would one go about doing that?

I mean not only the copy, but illustrations, table of contents links, etc. I don't recall the steps of the process off-hand, but it's pretty easy assuming you're not coming directly from Microsoft Word, in which case it's really annoying. I work in Scrivener, which makes ebook conversion blessedly simple.

I love ebooks, and prefer them to physical books. I have always had space problems, because I would buy a lot of books and I wouldn't want to get rid of any for sentimental reasons. I had always wished there were practical electronic devices to read, and when I first read about e-ink I was already in love with in. I haven't looked back since. Apart from the advantages other people have mentioned, I love that if I want to read a fanfic or anything else from the internet I can very easily turn it into an ebook and read it in my kindle.

Question for ebook readers. I was in a store today looking at the new kindle (which wasn't so impressive in my mind, def not worth the price) but one of the sample books was GoT. After the map pages there was a page that said "for more detailed map go here" and there was a link. Couldn't follow the link since they didn't have the wifi connected, but my older copies of ASoIaF ebooks don't have anything like that.

Is this a new thing with some ebooks? Offering more detailed maps I mean, in addition to the print maps which show. I have been a dedicated ereader for many years now, and the only thing I don't prefer to regular books are the maps. I don't have any books that have something like this, and 95% of the books I read have pretty poor quality maps. Just wondering if this is a new feature publishers are going with, and if so how does it work?

Thanks.

Question for ebook readers. I was in a store today looking at the new kindle (which wasn't so impressive in my mind, def not worth the price) but one of the sample books was GoT. After the map pages there was a page that said "for more detailed map go here" and there was a link. Couldn't follow the link since they didn't have the wifi connected, but my older copies of ASoIaF ebooks don't have anything like that.

Is this a new thing with some ebooks? Offering more detailed maps I mean, in addition to the print maps which show. I have been a dedicated ereader for many years now, and the only thing I don't prefer to regular books are the maps. I don't have any books that have something like this, and 95% of the books I read have pretty poor quality maps. Just wondering if this is a new feature publishers are going with, and if so how does it work?

Thanks.

Maybe it was one of those 'Enhanced Edition' ebooks,i know that AGoT was released as an Enhanced Edition ebook.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2012/02/01/a-look-at-a-game-of-thrones-the-enhanced-ebook-edition/

• 2 weeks later...

The Cost of eBooks to Dramatically Increase in 2015

The cost of eBooks are poised to dramatically increase at the beginning of the new year, due to changes in VAT. Readers will end up having to pay anywhere from 17% to 25% more on each title, depending on the country they live in.

http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-news/the-cost-of-ebooks-to-dramatically-increase-in-2015

I would go for ebook because it's just much more convenient for me. I have exceptions, such as manga volumes which I like to collect and TWOIAF which is worth it just for the sheer beauty of it all but on the whole, definitely ebook by far.

I've just finished The Rogue Prince ebook, with no fewer than 18 hyphenated words that shouldn't have been. I believe I've already posted, but I reiterate; in my experience ebooks are riddled with mistakes and I won't switch until I feel as much proof reading has been done as with a physical release.

I've just finished The Rogue Prince ebook, with no fewer than 18 hyphenated words that shouldn't have been. I believe I've already posted, but I reiterate; in my experience ebooks are riddled with mistakes and I won't switch until I feel as much proof reading has been done as with a physical release.

Unexpected use of hyphenation could be due to regional spelling differences. Consider yourself lucky if those were the only mistakes you found!

I don't think it's a "copy editing" problem as much as a formatting problem. When you change file formats, fonts, font sizes, etc., sometimes funny things happen to an electronic document. I don't think ebooks have inherently more "copy editing" mistakes than paper books, but they can have formatting quirks. I've always viewed these as minor, but I am not one to get caught up on minutia.

I read all of ASoIaF on my cell-phone and tablet. I found that when reading on the phone it takes very little time to find your place again because the pages are so small. Also it makes it easier to read while walking the dog, waiting in the grocery line, etc., filling all those niggling bits of dead time.

Unexpected use of hyphenation could be due to regional spelling differences. Consider yourself lucky if those were the only mistakes you found!

They were all fictional words; Targ-aryen, River-run, Bara-theon, etc. The Princess & The Queen had none......but had 3 instances of double words (such and such that that had been...).

Archived