Paper book or Ebook?

sam90

I think you need to recognize a distinction between a dedicated Ebook reader (like a Kindle paperwhite) and a general purpose tablet that you can also use for reading (the Kindle Fire HD).

Frankly, I vastly prefer both to paper books, but the charging issue is obviously much more significant with a general purpose tablet than a dedicated Ebook reader.

Yeah, I can go days without charging my actual ereader (kobo), but reading on a tablet I need to recharge every day, as I use it for more than just reading

I think you need to recognize a distinction between a dedicated Ebook reader (like a Kindle paperwhite) and a general purpose tablet that you can also use for reading (the Kindle Fire HD).

Frankly, I vastly prefer both to paper books, but the charging issue is obviously much more significant with a general purpose tablet than a dedicated Ebook reader.

Yeah, I can go days without charging my actual ereader (kobo), but reading on a tablet I need to recharge every day, as I use it for more than just reading

That makes sense. Pausing a reading session because I need to fuss with a recharge doesn't happen too often, but it's a minor irritation always in the back of my head that I have less control over my reading sessions. Not enough to get a dedicated reader at this point. Reiterating what I said, I am pro Ebook over paper books, mainly because I enjoy having less clutter in my life, but if not for that I'd prefer paper books.

I fi.d ebooks more convenient for reading when I am on the go, as they take up less space than hard copies of a book which is a big plus on a train/bus/underground, an especially handy when going on holiday (i used to pack only a couple of books, purely because I didnt habe the room for.more. Now I can take.my entire library on holiday with me).

I do actually agree with SSE though. I am able to concentrate more easily with an actual book

I still love my paper books. An eReader was automatically uploaded to my iPhone with the new iOS. I don't like reading on it. I feel like it can't hold my attention the way a paper book can.

Well, to be fair, a phone is about the worst device you can read a book on. It's good in a pinch, but it's nothing like a dedicated e-reader experience. I love my nook, but reading from the phone makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Well, to be fair, a phone is about the worst device you can read a book on. It's good in a pinch, but it's nothing like a dedicated e-reader experience. I love my nook, but reading from the phone makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

I don't really have an issue with reading on my phone. Of course, my last two smart phones were the Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 6, both of which have pretty big screens, so maybe that's why. If you've been using previous iPhones or other smaller models, I can imagine it being more annoying than practical.

Obviously I wouldn't choose my phone over my Kindle given the choice, but I typically don't bring the Kindle to work with me, so if I want to read during lunch I just use my phone or Chrome, depending on if I'm at my desk or not.

I agree with the above. My point was that I don't think Ser Scot should make a blanket judgement if the only experience he has had with an e-reader is his phone.

Pretty much this.

It's like saying you don't like watching movies at home, when you've only ever watched them in standard definition on a 22-inch screen.

But there's no single "defender of eBooks" that posts the exact same thing over and over without prompting. Unless of course you consider the mere presence of this thread on the first page as "prompting." We get it.

I totally get Scot's sentiments. I love having a "real" book in my hand wherever I go :P

I've just been seduced by the ease and instant gratification of ebooks. I HATE HATE HATE digging through piles on my shelves looking for a aprticular book I want to read again, or for the first time for that matter, knocking books behind shelves, knocking piles over, knocking other things over to get to the book I'm looking for. And the dust...I loathe the dust... :ack: :stillsick: :angry2:

I realize this speaks more to my housekeeping abilities than my book reading preferences :blushing: but lousy house keepers have opinions too!

I was a bit wary of ebooks at first, but now I'm a believer. However, if I read a book I think I'll want to re-read, I buy in paper as well so I don't lose the rights or the book itself if my Kindle crashes. Otherwise, buying the ebook means I don't have to store it, or worry about disposing of the hard copy. (I never throw away books; I usually donate to AIDS Thrift or the library.)

Archived