NFL: The Laughingstock of the League

Jace, Extat

Sports Illustrated ranks NFL Announcer Teams for 2013-2014

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/07/2013-nfl-announcer-rankings/

That was cool. I used to hate on Collinsworth, but he's really on-point, if awkward.

But my weekend is ruined. Utterly ruined. The Colts have hired Chudzinsikisinski as a 'special assistant'.

Is there some rule that says a shitty former head coach has to get some bullshit job somewhere in the league after he's fired? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING!?!

Decent list, but I thought Kevin Harlan should've been higher. I always like his play by play for both NBA and NFL. UP HIGH, AND DOWN HARD!

For my money the local radio guys make all the network chumps look like the hacks that they are. We get Ted Robinson (and a throwaway ex-Niner doing color) for Niners games. Jon Miller for Giants broadcasts and Tim Roye and Tom Tolbert for Warriors games. None of the guys on that list can touch our local talent here in the Bay Area.

Is there some rule that says a shitty former head coach has to get some bullshit job somewhere in the league after he's fired? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING!?!

In all fairness, most failed head coaches were really good assistants who managed to get promoted beyond the point of competence.

For my money the local radio guys make all the network chumps look like the hacks that they are. We get Ted Robinson (and a throwaway ex-Niner doing color) for Niners games. Jon Miller for Giants broadcasts and Tim Roye and Tom Tolbert for Warriors games. None of the guys on that list can touch our local talent here in the Bay Area.

Fair enough, the only guys I like on that list are Harlan and Al Michaels. They're not all that bad.

But yeah, local radio guys are a hell of a lot better than the big networks. They add that personal touch to the broadcast that just isn't possible with the big networks. The legend Rod Phillips and now Jack Michaels are awesome for that with their Oilers broadcasts.

In all fairness, most failed head coaches were really good assistants who managed to get promoted beyond the point of competence.

Absolutely true, but 'The Chud' was already past competence when he was with the Panthers. He's a turd and has no business being associated with my team. >_<

So I guess the Jets are sticking with Geno... that seems like the best of a lot of poor options.

Absolutely true, but 'The Chud' was already past competence when he was with the Panthers. He's a turd and has no business being associated with my team. >_<

So I guess the Jets are sticking with Geno... that seems like the best of a lot of poor options.

All Chud did while here was develop Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron, TJ Ward, and Joe Haden into Pro-Bowlers/All-Pros.

Carolina's offense scored fewer points this past season, btw.

He's a good coach, and like Norv, is especially good at making TEs better. Not shitty by any stretch of the imagination.

A lot of failed head coaches are exactly this: Peter Principle guys. But think recent history has forced us to confront the notion that many of the most successful head coaches in the game were once failed head coaches.

Bill Belichick, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin, Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Dick Vermeil all only won Superbowls during their second head coaching gig. That's 11 of the last 16 Superbowls won by a recycled head coach*. Maybe we gotta give more credence to notion that failure makes some of these guys better. They're forced to correct their flaws, they're hungrier, they're arguably working harder than ever to prove everyone wrong.

First time head coaches? They're often like bulls in a china shop. Look at Josh McDaniels. And yet all this makes the argument that he should get another look assuming he has that self-correcting gene the majority of the above coaches do. Or maybe he's just Eric Mangini 2.0. Really we don't know. But there's a case to be made that if you have a choice between a talented up-and-comer and a talented guy who failed once as a head coach...you're going to be tempted to go after the former but maybe you should be targeting the latter. Let your head coach make all the first-timer mistakes on someone else's dime.

*And the 5 Superbowls won by first-timer head coaches were all won by the Ravens, Steelers and Packers or basically 3 of the best 4 organizations in football over the past two decades. Is Brian Billick or Mike McCarthy the genius or is it the GM who gave each of them absolutely loaded rosters?

That was cool. I used to hate on Collinsworth, but he's really on-point, if awkward.

But my weekend is ruined. Utterly ruined. The Colts have hired Chudzinsikisinski as a 'special assistant'.

Collinsworth does a good job with bringing the complexities of the game down to the audience's level.

He's officially my most hated commentator though because he takes sides every game. As a Lions fan the level of ire he has against my team is obnoxious, compounded by the fact that the last time we played SNF was against his 49'ers.

Lol, one season as Browns HC and he's going to be the trusty assistant whispering bad advice in Pagano's ear.

A lot of failed head coaches are exactly this: Peter Principle guys. But think recent history has forced us to confront the notion that many of the most successful head coaches in the game were once failed head coaches.

Bill Belichick, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin, Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Dick Vermeil all only won Superbowls during their second head coaching gig. That's 11 of the last 16 Superbowls won by a recycled head coach*. Maybe we gotta give more credence to notion that failure makes some of these guys better. They're forced to correct their flaws, they're hungrier, they're arguably working harder than ever to prove everyone wrong.

First time head coaches? They're often like bulls in a china shop. Look at Josh McDaniels. And yet all this makes the argument that he should get another look assuming he has that self-correcting gene the majority of the above coaches do. Or maybe he's just Eric Mangini 2.0. Really we don't know. But there's a case to be made that if you have a choice between a talented up-and-comer and a talented guy who failed once as a head coach...you're going to be tempted to go after the former but maybe you should be targeting the latter. Let your head coach make all the first-timer mistakes on someone else's dime.

*And the 5 Superbowls won by first-timer head coaches were all won by the Ravens, Steelers and Packers or basically 3 of the best 4 organizations in football over the past two decades. Is Brian Billick or Mike McCarthy the genius or is it the GM who gave each of them absolutely loaded rosters?

Good points.

All Chud did while here was develop Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron, TJ Ward, and Joe Haden into Pro-Bowlers/All-Pros.

Carolina's offense scored fewer points this past season, btw.

He's a good coach, and like Norv, is especially good at making TEs better. Not shitty by any stretch of the imagination.

The first person I'd give any credit to for that offense would be Norv Turner. That said, it was still bland and uninspiring except for when Gordon was making plays. Besides, Ward, Haden, and Gordon weren't exactly hand-picked by Chud. Ward and Haden were already considered good last year, and everyone knew Gordon had freak talent. I'll give you Cameron, but again, I'd lend that to Norv.

I have removed this part of my comment because I don't want to be offensive.

Basically he's like the Jim Caldwell of... well, the Colts. :bang:

If that seems harsh, maybe it's because I'm pissed off that he's involved with my team.

Lol, one season as Browns HC and he's going to be the trusty assistant whispering bad advice in Pagano's ear.

"Hey, Chuck, Andrew just isn't getting it done. But there's this kid 3rd year 30 year old player I know who's got a great curveball. His name's Brandon, we should give him a look. "

"Also, I know that Pat Hamilton is your boy and all, and you love your offense being effective, but Trent Richardson would have more total yards if we handed off to him on every down. Just think about it."

Easy on Jim Caldwell there, the entire system was built around Peyton and when he was out it was like taking over a new team with no QB and only a few standouts. OC and plays revolved around Peyton. I think he'll do great things in Detroit with Lombardi and Austen. Here's to hoping the second coaching stint trend holds true.

As long as you guys have Andrew Luck even a semi competent coaching staff will be playoff bound every year. Colts are a team where the qb will always make up the difference to get a W.

Here's a scary thought for the rest of the league: I think Seattle is still on the way up.

Nailed it. Percy Harvin was like a secret weapon they deployed especially for the SB. They have a relatively young team with a LOT of different looks on both sides of the ball. I think they could maybe add some more talent to their receiving corps and offensive line. There's still a first round pick that they can gain some significant talent with going into next season. I'm not sure any other team besides the Niners stand in their way. Should be interesting to see what comes to pass in 2014-2015.

I feel like if JFF were to work out, he'd be highly entertaining, but IMO there is a zero percent chance he doesn't get his head taken off in the pros.

This has to be the biggest off-season story. He's as wild as a wild card can be for a draft pick. I'm also wondering if he can handle that kind of defensive pressure and if he does get hit, how well he can recover. I think he can still be successful in the NFL even though he isn't a traditionally styled QB. Russell Wilson surpassed anyone's expectations, in spite of being somewhat undersized and not having the arm strength of other passers. The Texans may not want to gamble on him even though there are plenty of fans that want to see him go to Houston. I could see them switching him up with Case Keenum and trying different things on offense. If they do pass on him, it's a no brainer to pick Jadaveon Clowney. He and JJ Watt would be a monster defensive front.

Easy on Jim Caldwell there, the entire system was built around Peyton and when he was out it was like taking over a new team with no QB and only a few standouts. OC and plays revolved around Peyton. I think he'll do great things in Detroit with Lombardi and Austen. Here's to hoping the second coaching stint trend holds true.

I guess we're going to give him a pass for last year's Baltimore offense with one of the leagues worst rushing attacks. Nothing screams out offensive success like 3.1 ypc as a team.

I guess we're going to give him a pass for last year's Baltimore offense with one of the leagues worst rushing attacks. Nothing screams out offensive success like 3.1 ypc as a team.

Passing attack wasn't so great either, but he developed Manning AND Flacco, two of the highest-paid QB's in the league!

Caldwell is a piece of shit.

Phew caught up finally!

Jace, you are one scary woman. I hope I never get in your bad book :ph34r:

Jace, you are one scary woman. I hope I never get in your bad book :ph34r:

Couple of quick points I wanted to make:

It is surprising how unprepared the Broncos were at every aspect of the game: crowd noise, physicality of the Seattle D, Percy Harvin, special team etc. I wrote after the game (or may be during the second half) on the previous thread that this is the type of game that gets your coach fired.

Seattle is set for the near future as they have Wilson, Sherman, Thomas (to some extent) playing well below their market price. Their main problem in the near term is the division they play in (sounds strange that NFC west is the top division in the league). SF is obviously neck and neck. Arizona has the team to out-physical them and are getting better. Rams are no push overs. A 3-3 record in the division is probably a likely outcome.The attrition in the division could be a factor in getting a favorable playoff seeding. But overall, they are in the pole position for the next couple of years.

Manning and the Broncos will be OK next year. The AFC does not look that intimidating. With Clady and the defensive players (Miller, Vickerson, Wolfe, Moore, Harris) back, they are the among the favorites to win the AFC. I am sure they will be players in the FA market as they are in win now mode. They will be aggressive in their team building decisions. But they need a different game plan to beat the Seattles and the Niners of the world. We will get to see how the Broncos have adjusted as they get to play the NFC west next year. It will be fun :) Given their schedule, they may not get the number 1 seed in the playoff next year.

The QB best equipped the beat Seattle playing playground style football is Luck. The game he played against the Seahawks was incredible. He was at his "improvising, buying time, running, brushing off would be tacklers, throwing deep bombs, doing whatever takes to win" best.

Archived