NFL: The Laughingstock of the League

Jace, Extat

The top comments, as usual, were pure gold.

"Way to merge two controversial topics together ESPN, homosexual players in the NFL, and the effects of CTE on ex-players."

That was my favorite as well.

to be fair, he did drop about a round from where he was projected prior to the reveal

You think he was going to be a top 10 pick after he was completely ineffective in the National Championship game? That's crazy. He played his way into the second round against Alabama.

If anything, I was surprised he went as high as he did, regardless of the drama.

Just watched some game film and stuff from the Senior Bowl.

Sam might have a hard time making it in the NFL.

He's a tweener who struggles in coverage and is undersized to play on the line. Effort guy who made the most of his ability, but that kind of player often has a hard time transitioning to the league.

Being an Ohio State guy, watching Sam, he reminded a lot of John Simon.

You think he was going to be a top 10 pick after he was completely ineffective in the National Championship game? That's crazy. He played his way into the second round against Alabama.

If anything, I was surprised he went as high as he did, regardless of the drama.

top ten, no. but top 20? probably. he was still projected there and teams dont discount all of their film because of one highly televised game. obviously you never know. no one saw rodgers going 24th either so it is hard to say wat would have happened in a different circumstance.

the thing of it is, each pick is individual, and the team drafting 17 (hypothetically) is likely to take him but there is someone else they like too. and this media event does just enough for them to like the othe guy more. then the next few teams are ones that never liked teo to start with, etc.

or maybe someone else drops and 17 never saw that guy being available. so basically, yeah, you never know why a guy slips. but i do think that teo did slip some because of the catfishing

The Browns are insane. Adam Schefter just tweeted that they're promoting Ray Farmer to GM, have let go of Michael Lombardi and are going to transition Joe Banner out of the organization in the next two months. Did last year even happen?

Nobody deserved Mike Lombardi as GM and Joe Banner as CEO, that's for sure.

I'll be viewing this for what it is: A GODDAMNED MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!

HALLEFUCKINGLUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. It's definitely best to view it as that, especially as Farmer seems to be pretty good and has something like 50 mil to play with. Lombardi and Banner were a mess.

The Browns are insane. Adam Schefter just tweeted that they're promoting Ray Farmer to GM, have let go of Michael Lombardi and are going to transition Joe Banner out of the organization in the next two months. Did last year even happen?

Again, MIke Lombardi apologist here.

Okay, so, two ways to look at this.

One, a struggling organization- lead by the owner - took stock of its option and realized, too late, that its GM and CEO were untenable in the NFL; that their vision for the future was sorely lacking. Further, after one season, the two men showed only a complete inability to create cohesion within the organization, and in fact, they only seemed to sow the seeds of tension and disunity. Further, that Banner and Lombardi had no real, long-term vision for the organization and had, in one season, showed no ability to enact their plans. In fact, the organization had regressed. The Browns suffered a one-season head coach (AGAIN) and this was the guy Banner and (supposedly) Lombardi hired. The team took stock of their options in the off season, and the owner realized that several top-quality head coaching prospects had - on their own -removed themselves from the process. This was a glaring signal to ownership that future coaches did not want to work with this management team.

Second way: an inept organization has, once again, shown that as a collective, they can only seem to make a bad situation worse. Banner and LOmbardi took over a Browns team that, to put it mildly, had a talent-gap with the rest of the league, and whose best player (Gordon) started the season with a 4-game suspension. The Browns made one of the more lopsided trades in recent NFL history by sending hapless RB Trent Richardson to the Colts for a first round draft pick. The Administration realized, too late, that the man they hired at HC was not working out as younger players were not developing properly and the BRowns began to lag behind such sewer-fires as Houston and Jacksonville in terms of developing young talent. The Browns- through Lombardi and Banner- had 10 draft picks, including two firsts, a very high second (35th overall), and two thirds, netting them 6 of the top 88 players. Yet, somehow, the men who plotted this movement have been left unavailable to reap its benefits. Instead, the Browns get more lost, less tethered and more rudderless.

How does that help?

Then again... how did that really hurt?

I love the Browns, they make me feel so much better about the Jets organization.

Why anyone would apologize for Lombardi is beyond me.

The guy is scum, pure and simple.

The little birds are singing, and they are saying that old Mike got caught bad mouthing Haslam.

He was scum his first time in Cleveland with the Bernie "diminishing skills" video, he was scum in Oakland that was banned from practice, and he is scum now.

Fuck that guy.

I am so confused by this. So Banner hired Pettine? Why would you use a GM you were going to fire to pick your head coach? I hope Ray Farmer likes Pettine. Also generally you clean house all at once. Why keep Lombardi and Banner a couple months after you fired Chud? Did Haslam learn nothing from his time with the Steelers? Guess he was too busy fleecing Flying J customers to take notes.

I am so confused by this. So Banner hired Pettine? Why would you use a GM you were going to fire to pick your head coach? I hope Ray Farmer likes Pettine. Also generally you clean house all at once. Why keep Lombardi and Banner a couple months after you fired Chud? Did Haslam learn nothing from his time with the Steelers? Guess he was too busy fleecing Flying J customers to take notes.

Haslam hired Pettine.

The main thing Haslam gets faulted for here is being slow on the uptake.

Banner and Lombardi scapegoated Chud, and Haslam took their advice.

He then found out who the real problems were in the organization as coaching interviews went on that were described by one candidate as "dysfunctional. The guys couldn't even agree on questions."

Ray Farmer didn't take his name out of consideration for the Dolphins position out of nowhere, Haslam let him know what was up and then hired Pettine.

That's the crux of the issue right there. The entire organization is a complete mess - command has broken down completely, and nobody knows what anybody else is doing.

Somebody needs to make a Hitler video.

Archived