Will Dany ever return to Meereen? I think not...

AnneGhoul

Here is something that I have been thinking about:

On reading through the varoius topics on this forum it get the impression that most people assume that Dany will somehow shortly return to Meereen. I don't necessarily think this is a given. In fact I think that Dany's last chapter in Dance rather points in another direction, namely that Dany will finally "go back to go forward." The whole "your dragons remember who you are, do you?" thing and the meeting with the Dothraki actually seem indicate that her path will take a radical turn.

I think that it is a recurring plotmotif with GRRM that the main characters are planning to do one thing and their storylines are progressing in that direction and then something dramatic happens that drastically alters their trajectories just when you least suspect it. Theon was going to ally the Iron Isles with Robb, but ended up taking Winterfell. Arya spent two whole books trying to get back to her mother, only to find she was too late and then went to Braavos to become a faceless girl. Catelyn and Robb were headed to Winterfell, but got killed at the RW. Tyrion was well invested and entrenched in the whole Kings Landing storyline, but got accused with murder and then suddenly ended up in Essos. Jaime's story changes direction with every book. Jon was off to Winterfell to rescue fArya but got "killed". Stannis was going to take the Iron Throne, but is now in the north planning the defence against the Others, and planning to take Winterfell. Arianne was going to install Myrcella on the IT, but is now travelling to meet fAegon. Almost nothing in this series has progressed according to plan so far, so why does everyone assume that the Meereenese mess will be any different?

Dany was travelling to Westeros but got bogged down in Slaver's Bay and decided she needed to start ruling, and everybody has been livid with frustration at the Meereenese Knot ever since. I suspect that Dany's "abduction" by Drogon is in fact the solution to the Meereenese knot as far as Dany is concerned and that might very well mean that the Meereenese will be waiting in vain for her return...

I agree that she will go to Vaes Dothrak. However, her other 2 dragons are in Meereen and I can't imagine she would just leave them. So unless she gets word that Rhaegal and Viserion have been taken (or simply flew off) to somewhere else, I think she will go back to Meereen at some point.

My theory (which I partially stole :P) is that she will surrender and be dragged to Vaes Dothrak where, with the help of Drogon, she will take control of Jhaqo's khalasar and claim that she is the stallion that mounts the world. She will then head towards Volantis (on the way taking control of Pono's khalasar, which we know has been heading south along the Rhoyne) and lay siege to the city. Volantis has, at the very least, sent their naval forces to Meereen to join the Yunkish siege, so I don't think they will have any choice but to surrender to Daenerys. In control of Volantis, Daenerys would send word to Meereen and wait there for her forces to catch up with her. While waiting I think she will meet Archmaester Marwyn, and Arya will also get caught up in the storyline.

Meanwhile, I think it is a given that the battle of Meereen will be won my Daenerys' forces. My prediction is that Daario will be killed (by Jorah) during the battle and Hizdahr will be executed, or possibly killed by Victarion. After the battle I think Victarion will use the horn to essentially hold the dragons hostage, ensuring that Daenerys' forces work with him. I also think that Barristan will get the bloody flux in the battle, and after tying up some loose ends he will leave Jorah in control of Dany's forces in his place. With the help of the Iron Fleet (and the Volantene fleet, which will be captured), Daenerys' forces will head to volantis to join her.

Why would she be dragged anywhere? She's standing next to her freaking huge dragon. The only reason she'd go to Vaes Dothrak would be if Jhaqo wasn't near to where she meets the scouts. More than likely Jhaqo isn't too far from where she meets the scouts. I imagine she'll get rid of him quickly and take over the Khalasar on the spot. The Dothraki's allegiance are more to power than a particular Khal. I imagine having a dragon in their eyes is one heck of a game changer. Particularly, if she makes Drogon roast Jhaqo immediately then rides him around a bit. Plus, her other dragons and her people are still in Meeren. I think she'll return asap, with the Khalasar, then leave Meeren in ruins.

Why would she be dragged anywhere? She's standing next to her freaking huge dragon. The only reason she'd go to Vaes Dothrak would be if Jhaqo wasn't near to where she meets the scouts. More than likely Jhaqo isn't too far from where she meets the scouts. I imagine she'll get rid of him quickly and take over the Khalasar on the spot. The Dothraki's allegiance are more to power than a particular Khal. I imagine having a dragon in their eyes is one heck of a game changer. Particularly, if she makes Drogon roast Jhaqo immediately then rides him around a bit. Plus, her other dragons and her people are still in Meeren. I think she'll return asap, with the Khalasar, then leave Meeren in ruins.

She's greatly outnumbered. It only took a few people with spears to almost kill Drogon in the fighting pits, he isn't yet strong enough to tackle an entire khalasar.

Interesting ideas from the OP. I too am skeptical that she will just return to Meereen with the Khalasar. That would diminish the whole value of her fleeing Meereen in the first place. I agree that this could be a major turning point that will send Dany in a new direction. Whether as a captive or Khaleesi, Dany will probably go to Vaes Dothrak, where she may attempt to unite the Dothraki khalasars. From there, I'm not sure where she would go. Perhaps Valyria or Volantis or Pentos.

She's greatly outnumbered. It only took a few people with spears to almost kill Drogon in the fighting pits, he isn't yet strong enough to tackle an entire khalasar.

I don't think Drogon was in mortal danger in the fighting pits, but that's besides the point. Khal Drogo was easily outnumbered by everyone else, yet somehow he managed to control a huge khalasar. Dany would need to assert dominance over Khal Jhaqo personally, but wouldn't need to take on the entire khalasar. The Dothraki respect strength, which is why they abandoned a wounded Drogo and pregnant Dany. But Dany riding Drogo may command newfound respect from the Dothraki.

I felt Dany leaving Meeren was more symbolic than an actual desire to leave. While in Meeren she was attempting to conform to the way they did things. Her taking off on Drogon was symbolic of her returning to her true self. She forgot who she was. Her fleeing on Drogon was her reclaiming the dragon. “He is fire made flesh, she thought, and so am I.” I think when she returns to Meeren she'll probably be stronger. And i think she's going to start killing a lot of people.

She has to go back to Meereen to pick up her other two dragons at some point. But I agree with Lissa Nymeros Martell that khalasar sacking will be involved. She's going to teach the Harpy a lesson he or she will never forget, get her people and dragons, and move on. Going to Vaes Dothrak first and uniting all the khalasars would be a good idea. Just one splinter khalasar might not be able to take out Meereen, but all of them put together certainly would, and Volantis, and any other Free City she wants to deal with while she's in the neighborhood.

I hope we get a little flying into Valyria via dragon too, though that might have to wait til the final book.

She'll go back to go forward: she'll return to the Dothraki and truly become their Khaleesi. She'll go East to go West: the world is round, her and her Dothraki horde will go East until they hit the ocean (and Asshai perhaps, where she stands to learn a lot about dragons) and then sail to Westeros, sacking the bejeesus out of Casterly Rock (or the Iron Islands). Heck, it might even be closer than going West. She's already been betrayed three times (the maegi, Jorah, and Hizdar), so that's wrapped up nicely. And her slave army of eunuchs aren't going to be welcome on Westeros, no matter how often she insists they're free. At best she could send them to the wall, or use them to liberate the rest of Essos under her faithful Mereenese underlings.

Archived