Heresy 97 the Children of the Forest

Black Crow

I did not say that it takes 200 years to learn a language, or that was what Leaf was up to that whole time.

I said she must have been close to humans to learn their tongue so well.

Ahh you misunderstood me, I was agreeing with you and alluding to Leaf's time in the realms as being more than learning a language for Bran as it would not have taken long.I wonder if she was going to places the Weirwoods wern't

Literally laughed out loud at your conclusion.

I suspect they look a bit

more human than that, or Bran would not have been reminded of Arya in looking at Leaf.

But yeah, up close... in what you might call sex-range... the differences would probably be off-putting.

Lol...I agree with you I was being intentionally cheecky about their looks. On the serious side I think the grotesque description of them given by Maesters were just another tool to make them less human as possible.

This is pretty much my take that we have a natural unfolding taking place and we can finally weigh what is told in the stories and books against eye witness and contextually appropriate scenarios

So based on Bran's description of Leaf they are humanoid but dang I couldn't go there. I'd still do the NK'' woman.

How many weirwoods are left south of the Neck? Perhaps Bloodraven couldn't help his crazy relative on the throne, and Rhaegar went to the Trident (or did he). The heir apparents are murdered and the next in line flee. How much influence does Bloodraven have?

I am more inclined to agree with Black Crow that from the CoTF perspective men are men. First Men, Andals, Valyrians... what does it matter they are all just men. Especially after thousands of years and the intermixing of the groups, I am not sure how any outsider would be able to draw the line. Its almost purely a social construct.In any case I am not sure what BR and Aemon have to offer the CoTF in this pact? The only thing I could think of is some way to open the gates to the wall or bring the wall down neither of which they seem to be trying to do.

If BR and Aemon have been plotting to restore Targs to power why would they put all their eggs in the Jon Snow basket?

I don't think they were counting on Jon to be on their side. You are assuming Jon is a Targaryen. I happen to think that he isn't.

I don't think they were counting on Jon to be on their side. You are assuming Jon is a Targaryen. I happen to think that he isn't.

Oh I don't think Jon is either, even if he is the son of Rhaegar he has been raised as a Stark. So who are they trying to put on the throne and what hints are there for this?

There seem to be alot of magicalish accidents... the Doom, Summerhall, Hardhome?, Moat Cailin. We know that GRRM does not believe in recipe magic. In this world magic appears to be a powerful but not 100% controllable force.I am of the belief that CotF caused the LN and created the White Walkers, either on purpose or by accident.

This is Heresy and we're here to question conventional thought and to challenge assumptions. Most readers assume the Children's old gods are a benevolent, hippy, earth love type of godhead, maybe even a turn the other cheek Jesus, but the god of the Old Testament is a "Vengence is mine, said Jehovah" type of god, and I suspect that is also the old gods godhead. I think they want vengeance.

I do believe that at least one sect of the Old Gods want vengeance. I just think that those are the ones that became Others, and the Children have nothing to do with it. They know what's going on, but don't want to interfere with the natural order of things unless they have to.

Oh I don't think Jon is either, even if he is the son of Rhaegar he has been raised as a Stark. So who are they trying to put on the throne and what hints are there for this?

There seem to be alot of magicalish accidents... the Doom, Summerhall, Hardhome?, Moat Cailin. We know that GRRM does not believe in recipe magic. In this world magic appears to be a powerful but not 100% controllable force.I am of the belief that CotF caused the LN and created the White Walkers, either on purpose or by accident.

That's my take as well.

something about dueling with glass swords as the children did...

Yes,but in an act of desperation.They and the Weirwoods were facing extinction by the FM.They had to do something.They brought the hammer down.The Others and dragons with it?

i posted earlier but got no response...

who do you think the oldest Children of the Forest mentioned specifically by name. We have Elenai and Storm's end and Nagga the first Sea Dragon at Iron Islands... drowned god and priests connect to ones mentioned in godsgrief story of giving her to the sea?

i am seeing a connection to water magicks and house baratheon/durrendon and house greyjoy/greyiron to children and their power to this day...

possibly these two events brought them to the pact? neck was attack that washed men ashore iron islands then they killed that bitch on the island and threw her in the sea like the sea preists wanted to do with Elenai

Leaf claims she learned the common tongue for Bran, so it seems she was incapable of being the one that communicated with Bloodraven, or any person at all.

Also, if you're like many and believe Maynard Plumm was in fact Bloodraven himself, I find it a bit odd that he needed to go anywhere in person if he could truly use ravens and/or the weirwood network.

Whether he could use Ravens or not, I don't think qualifies as a reason to stay home in this case. He is aware of a major conspiracy to overthrow the current regime. In a case like this he wouldn't want to leave anything to chance. It means his job and likely his head as well.

I agree the Ghost of High Heart states that she has seen enough grief and Arya is out for vengeance. It also may be foreshadowing that Arya interferes with the Children's plans.

That was exactly my thought when I read that line, that Aemon and Bloodraven must have discussed this at one point.

If you've seen season 4 previews, The Hound is talking to Arya about her"wishlist" aka revenge list. On it she names Mel. I know the show isn't Canon, but I found it interesting. Of course we understand its for taking Gendry away, but still interesting. Might it be the FM through Bennerro puts Arya to root-out a renegade priestess? Crackpot yup.

Whether he could use Ravens or not, I don't think qualifies as a reason to stay home in this case. He is aware of a major conspiracy to overthrow the current regime. In a case like this he wouldn't want to leave anything to chance. It means his job and likely his head as well.

He appeared with an army once he knew for sure what was happening, and I think it would've been easy enough to deduce, just by correlating which houses were in attendance. Even Egg figured that out, iirc. But upon reflection I suppose going to the tournament isn't really much of a risk in the first place.

I'd love to see a list. Off the top of my head - Harrenhal, Raventree Hall, Oldtown, Isle of Faces.

Riverrun. Storm's End until recently.

There are some faceless ones as well (Whispers and ... dunno, I'm pretty sure there were some somewhere else)

We're about to do our 2nd episode on Weirwoods/Heart Trees, it's a tour through all the known examples.

There is also one at Casterly Rock.

There are likely a few in the Vale still, like at Runestone. House Royce still sends men to the watch, still believes in their First Men runic bronze armor etc. Andal blood is strongest in the Vale but there's a decent chance the Royces still have their tree, and maybe a few other places. They tried to plant one at the Eyrie, after all, and that was built by the Andal House Arryn. Which is interesting by itself. The Andals cut a bunch of trees down then later on decided to plant a few, I guess? It would be nice to know when this attempted planting of a weirwood at the Eyrie took place.

It's also possible a few weirwoods have sprung up in the Rainwood, or maybe up in the western hills perhaps. It seems like it's been a long time since anyone was actively cutting them down, and since we know new ones can grow, perhaps a few are in the south.

There are stumps all over too, and many of those have power. Jaime's several page dream that begins his transformation (wakes up and immediately goes back to save Brienne from the bear) is one example. Maynard Plumm/Bloodraven is first introduced amongst weirwood stumps. Obviously the GoHH is amongst that very strong grove of 31. The BwB have weirwood roots in their cave.

Crackpot theory: King George III was a greenseer.

Think about it. According to ancient myths, he talked to trees.

Was his apparent mental illness actually... a subtle attempt to manipulate the colonies into becoming America?

Archived