Ukraine III: appropriate handling required

Horza

It seems like the moral of the story is if you have nuclear weapons, don't ever give them up..

I'm sure North Korea and Iran are paying very close attention to what's going on here.

I'm sure North Korea and Iran are paying very close attention to what's going on here.

I don't think Putin has much to teach the Kims about theatrics and escalation.

I don't think Putin has much to teach the Kims about theatrics and escalation.

No. But the situation is showing that a country would be foolish to believe promises of border integrity in exchange for giving up nuclear weapons. Not that North Korea was likely to do so anyway of course, but now they have examples beyond their propaganda proving the point.

No. But the situation is showing that a country would be foolish to believe promises of border integrity in exchange for giving up nuclear weapons. Not that North Korea was likely to do so anyway of course, but now they have examples beyond their propaganda proving the point.

If they border Russia or China, sure. Iran's position is somewhat different.

When was the last time British or American or French or German assassins poisoned political enemies on the streets of Moscow? When did they brutally put down protest movements with gunfire?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1972)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_massacre_of_1961

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benno_Ohnesorg (the policeman turned out to be a Stasi agent, but there seems to have been a cover-up by West German authorities).

The most recent of those was 42 years ago. that's a long time.

ttb,

You mean the coup that was the Ukrainian parliment voting to remove the President from power as allowed by the Ukrainian Constitution? That coup?

Not familiar w/ the Constitution but yes. And sure it started before the formal vote, no? With no coup, you don't have a Russian invasion. I'm not too well read on this, but I was responding to the question as to what was the signal to Russia that ethnic Russians were potentially in danger. Where am I off?

And in that one there have been two investigations, the latest of which pointed to potential criminal investigations and also led to a formal apology by the PM.

Not that I'm trying to justify it, but it's not a great point of comparison within current events.

Agreed. Im not trying to whitewash the west or anything (we have done plenty bad). But those examples don't really compare with whats happening here.

I thought a coup was the military forcing out a sitting President in an extra legal manner. If the Ukrainian Parliment followed the Ukrainian Constitution in removing Yuysehnko then it wasn't a coup.

I just meant a series of events in which a certain group of people (in this case anti-Russian as I understand?) takes control of a state and disposes of the (in this case elected) government. I didn't think the definition was that specific.

And we should care why? So the non-threat bogeyman don't think we're "weak"?

Because it further diminishes the chances that they would ever disarm. Not that they were likely to of course, but maybe previously they would've if there was a regime chance.

Ramsey,

So if the Russians conquer Moldovia and move on Romania that's no skin off our teeth. The precident of reestablishing the "right of conquest" is no big deal?

That's a lot different than moving in to Crimea, first of all. Does anyone actually think that's what Putin wants?

And yes, frankly, even if that did happen I'd let Europe sort it out. Not everything is about us

Archived