Ukraine III: appropriate handling required

Horza

Breaking News

Ukraine's ousted President Viktor Yanukovych has written to Russian President Vladimir Putin asking him to use military force in Ukraine, says Russia's envoy to the UN, Vitaly Churkin.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26413953

So from Putin's PoV the legal president of Ukraine just asked him to invade Ukraine. He's got his casus belli.

Saying from Polish friend, circa 1993: "It is our duty to shoot Germans. It is our pleasure to shoot Russians." If it's changed much since then, that'd be a pleasant surprise.

Dunno how about your friend but most people here are normal, I mean they dont dream about shooting other people.

Saying from Polish friend, circa 1993: "It is our duty to shoot Germans. It is our pleasure to shoot Russians." If it's changed much since then, that'd be a pleasant surprise.

Oh, come on, you do realise it's only an anecdotical saying, sort of like a typical Irish might say about Englishmen, right?

So, is it possible Russians will try to reinstall Yanukovych with military force?

Anything is possible, but this is one of the most unlikely outcomes I can think of. Medvedev gave an interview yesterday or the day before in which he referred to Yanukovich as something along the lines of a political non-entity. The Russian government will protect Yanukovich from prosecution, but it's pretty clear that they despise him. His screw up is one of the most striking displays of incompetence in recent history. Furthermore, he's almost universally despised in Ukraine (even among people who oppose the self-proclaimed government in Kiev) so reinstalling him doesn't make much sense.

Oh, come on, you do realise it's only an anecdotical saying, sort of like a typical Irish might say about Englishmen, right?

Hmm I'm not so sure. My math teacher is polish and she is very outspoken about her hatred of the Russians. This situation has her all up in arms.

Seems more likely that we'd just start bombing the hell out of every Russian troop formation in the Baltics; keep them from moving around or organizing until troops could arrive. We'd lose some planes, Russia has an air force too after all, but its not like there'd be the same level of anti-air defenses that there are in Russia itself.

Russian air force, afaik, is not that great these days. They lost a bunch in the conflict with Georgia as I remember. Like, a score or so. Which speaks to their quality.

C'mon, its Middle Europe, the bloodlands.

EDIT: Most of the hate is virtual, keyboard heroism. As for interpersonal relations - many people here claim they prefer to cope with a Russian (Belarusian, Ukrainian) than e.g a German. It is because of alleged cultural similarities.

Archived