Football LXVI - Mourinhos March Mind Games

Mark Antony

Well done Wigan. They comprehensively outplayed us and deserve their Wembley trip.

This proves that no matter how much money we have, 'typical City' is still a thing.

I can happily say now that I won't mind any of the quarter finalists winning the cup this year. It's a nice position to be in (though I would prefer Arsenal to win of course).

Wigan totally deserved that win. City didn't even have a shot on target until the 65th minute. That's embarrassing for a team like them at home to a Championship side.

arsenal are in a good position if we consider their opponents are a premier league side that's not highly placed in the table, a championship side and a league one side.

on the other hand, if they don't win it with opponents like that, i expect them to become the laughing stock, even moreso than man city after losing to wigan last season.

they had their share of disdain after losing that league cup final against birmingham a couple of seasons back but i expect it to multiply in this case.

It'd be great to see Wigan retain, but this really is Arsenal's to lose now. I wouldn't mind them winning it since it'd stop the constant media talk of when Arsenal will next win a trophy.

I agree that Arsenal is an overwhelming favourite to win the F.A. Cup.

On the other hand, I can't say I'll be sad if "how long ago did Arsenal win their last trophy" counter is not reset at the end of this season ;)

Probably the best weekend results Arsenal have seen for a while - getting through themselves and seeing someone else take out City. I would not have been confident of an Arsenal vs City matchup.

Of course, we stuffed up the League Cup in 2011 vs Birmingham so nothing is taken for granted.

I think it helps that we won't be playing at the Emirates. Of course I'm only watching on TV, but it seems that the crowd gets very restless when we remain scoreless against lower-ranked opposition. Playing at Wembley might help take the pressure off.

If Arsenal stroll all the way to picking up the cup, what will the newspapers have to flog Wenger next season? The trophyless narrative would be a terrible loss to them.

If Daniel Sturridge had not been uncharacteristically inaccurate that day, and Liverpool not robbed of yet another stonewall penalty, it would be Liverpool looking at a soft route to a cup success.

If Arsenal stroll all the way to picking up the cup, what will the newspapers have to flog Wenger next season? The trophyless narrative would be a terrible loss to them.

If Daniel Sturridge had not been uncharacteristically inaccurate that day, and Liverpool not robbed of yet another stonewall penalty, it would be Liverpool looking at a soft route to a cup success.

all the talk of a soft route to a cup has me pulling big time for sheffield united to hoist the trophy.

Considering Arsenal have put out three of the top seven teams in the country, their route to the cup so far has hardly been soft.

Yea. That's one of the reasons why I don't think Arsenal are just going to fold up like they've done in the past. That and Ramsey will be back by the Semis and have a few games under his belt.

Archived