Jon and Arya

Shortspear Rick

We also don't know if Jon will ever prove to the masses that he is not Ned's son. In other words the masses may still think that Jon marrying one of Ned's daughters is an incest abomination. Targs were on a different level. It was also a Valyrian custom expected of them and they were raised that way.

I concur. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't rule it out just because you never know what sort of curveball Martin might throw, but due to the whole abomination aspect I'd wager if they were to get together it would be with everyone knowing Jon as Rhaegar's kid, not Ned's.

They are brother and sister and look alike we don't need that "type" of relationship in these books anymore we have had more than enough incestuous relationships in this series. Anyways the Starks don't do that incest stuff.

Did you catch the whole Jon Targaryen thing? That wouldn't make them brother and sister, but rather cousins, and throughout history nobility would marry cousins all the time, not just in ASOIAF. As much as incest is looked down upon across the kingdom no one did anything about Targaryens marrying brother and sister, I doubt a feather would be ruffled about one marrying a cousin. Even Tywin Lannister married a cousin of his. Besides, when you think about it, there are only so many noble houses to go around that pretty much everyone has a drop of nearly every other family's blood in them.

I don't see Arya as a romantic character. She's the avenging angel, the assassin, the warrior.

Which makes me think, actually - has anyone ever tried matching the Starks to the Seven?

Ned and Cat might obviously be the father and mother. Bran would be the crone, Arya the warrior, Sansa the maiden. Robb and Rickon as smith and stranger? It might work.

Excellent point. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Arya doesn't end up marrying anyone. As far as Starks in your Seven analogy though, I think it would be Robb as the warrior since he never lost a battle and Arya as the stranger. She is part of an organization that kills people on his behalf after all.

They have the strongest bond in the series by far, but i can't imagine they marrying or even fucking. First because Arya is too young that is creepy (but what if GRRM used the 5 years gap?).

I think their bond could only be compared to Azor Ahai and Nissa Nissa.With the possibilities of a un -Jon and Arya stopping to be herself (nobody,without emotion,sorrow,love.....) i think one of them will be the sacrifice that will revive lightbringer.

Maybe that is an element of the sad ending GRRM talked about.In the other side,needle being lightbringer would be awesome.

:ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack:

If R+L=J is true why do you think he'll instantly take up a Targ practice?

He was raised believing Arya is his sister, them being cousins won't change that.

Why? For the reasons stated in the original post. Say he becomes King in the North and keeps his seat in Winterfell. There's the saying that there should always be a Stark in Winterfell, and she being of the male Stark line (you see several references in the books specifically about the male line as opposed to merely 'descendents') as a daughter of Ned would satisfy that if people considered him a Targaryen even though Lyanna would be his mother. If there was to be a political marriage of that sort it would make sense with Arya seeing as how they already have affection for one another, albeit clearly not sexual (i can't and won't argue any sexual feelings between them so far). Once you get past the initial "yuck factor" brought on by modern day morality it starts to make sense. Is this the most likely scenario? Of course not. I wouldn't bet on it but I also wouldn't say it would be out of the realm of possibility at this point.

Oh jeez, like together together? I hope not. Regardless of R+L=J, I think Jon will always think of her a little sister and she will always think of him as an older brother.

Personally, I don't see Arya having a romantic relationship at the end of the series. She's such a fully developed character with her own motivations--mostly revenge--but finding someone to grow old with or have a couple of lordlings with has never been among her motivations. (Edit: Good point above, she did have a crush on Gendry. But that seemed more like puppy love.)

Arya is compelling enough that I hope she finds some peace beyond what she thinks a blade can give her. Some on her list have died (Joffrey) or mostly died (the Mountain), at least one has been removed (the Hound). I think some other names on her list will meet their ends soon, I don't think Arya will be the one to do all the killings. For example, I think Jamie will ultimately be the one to kill Cersei, completing his circle.

So I'm not even sure Arya will ever use her Faceless Man training to exact revenge...until her arc culminates and she uses it for something really important. I'm not sure who the target would be that would precipitate her tangent to Braavos, but I think it will end up being a huge moment in the series.

They have the strongest bond in the series by far, but i can't imagine they marrying or even fucking. First because Arya is too young that is creepy (but what if GRRM used the 5 years gap?).

I think they are Azor

Someone else commented on age earlier as well. It really all depends on the timeline of the remaining books. I probably should have made that point more clear in the OP. If she's still 11-12, then no, I don't see this happening. Once she hits 14-15 though, I think it starts to become possible. Wasn't Sansa 13 when they married her to Tyrion? Though admittedly he even thought it a bit creepy and considered her more a girl than a woman flowered.

When you say that you think they are Azor, I'm assuming you mean Jon being Azor Ahai reborn and Arya taking the sacrificial place of Nissa Nissa? Hmmm... that too would fit very well. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it actually sounds more likely than my theory, seeing as how happy endings aren't as likely as the heartbreaking deaths of beloved characters.

I don t think that Arya will marry. Ned told her that she will marry a lord one day and be lady of a castle and she was not at all happy with that thought...I think that attitude has not changed and will not change.

I think that Arya and Jon love each other ...but never as man and woman! I hope and I think they will meet again but not like that.

Why the belief of Gendry or no one? I don't think their respective journeys after they've left each other is making them more compatible but less. Think of the reason why he wanted to stay with the BWB and what she's doing with the FM. It seems to be the exact opposite.

In addition Arya doesn't think about him anymore. She already has trust and abandonment issues with him which is not a great foundation for a relationship. He already did not want to stay with her. Why would he want to marry her?

If Arya is to end up with anyone, and I'm not even sure if she will, then it will be a legitimized Gendry, when they are both older.

Why? I don't get the Gendry thing any more than Jon. She sees him as a friend and one of her pack of strays, not more. She also thinks he is thick headed and a bit stupid sometimes. Not the stuff of epic romances.

I don't see Arya as a romantic character. She's the avenging angel, the assassin, the warrior.

Which makes me think, actually - has anyone ever tried matching the Starks to the Seven?

Ned and Cat might obviously be the father and mother. Bran would be the crone, Arya the warrior, Sansa the maiden. Robb and Rickon as smith and stranger? It might work.

Arya Stranger and Robb the Warrior

Why? I don't get the Gendry thing any more than Jon. She sees him as a friend and one of her pack of strays, not more. She also thinks he is thick headed and a bit stupid sometimes. Not the stuff of epic romances.

i just like the back and forth between them. I personally think Arya will die, but if she does end up with someone it would be Gendry IMO

I don t think that Arya will marry. Ned told her that she will marry a lord one day and be lady of a castle and she was not at all happy with that thought...I think that attitude has not changed and will not change.

I think that Arya and Jon love each other ...but never as man and woman! I hope and I think they will meet again but not like that.

I agree and I don't get foreshadowing out of that quote at all, just Ned still trying to get Arya to succumb to society/her mother's wishes. Not everything is foreshadowing.

I also don't think Arya will marry, I don't want her story to become a love story. She gets enough "happiness" out of vengeance and what she does best. There's no real room for that kind of love in her world- and that's ok. She's not cut out for happiness.

I really really really hope Jon and Arya never hook up. For me that would just be disgusting. They grew up as brother and sister, not distant relatives, but close. I can see him and Dany because they have never met, but him and Sansa or Arya, never. They are not Targaryen, were not raised with those values. That is more like the Freys than the Starks, and the Starks look down on the Freys.

They do compare other people to each other. Ygritte is Arya-alike and Gendry is Jon-alike. I think its because Jon gets along with women who are free spirits, who have strong minds and smart mouths. Arya likes guys who are honest and who can be her partner in crime, they say the same things at the same time.

I don't believe this makes them soulmates. I think it makes them incredibly close siblings who have left a mark on each other and how they measure people up.

I agree and I don't get foreshadowing out of that quote at all, just Ned still trying to get Arya to succumb to society/her mother's wishes. Not everything is foreshadowing.

I also don't think Arya will marry, I don't want her story to become a love story. She gets enough "happiness" out of vengeance and what she does best. There's no real room for that kind of love in her world- and that's ok. She's not cut out for happiness.

I would love it if Arya was the sister to fall in love and build her own family pack in the end. It would shatter that cliche that a tomboy must renounce her feminine identity completely. The very idea of a tomboy is outdated. I see Arya like the Mormont girls, she is a Northern woman whose mother really wanted a southerner.

Arya will marry a king, become a warrior queen like her heroes. Who is taking bets? :P

And sizes him up in the forge. He's strong she thinks. That's some wilding courtship there! Overpowering her at Acorn Hall, practically married already. :thumbsup:

I would love it if Arya was the sister to fall in love and build her own family pack in the end. It would shatter that cliche that a tomboy must renounce her feminine identity completely. The very idea of a tomboy is outdated. I see Arya like the Mormont girls, she is a Northern woman whose mother really wanted a southerner.

Arya will marry a king, become a warrior queen like her heroes. Who is taking bets? :P

I think the idea that a tomboy is not into men is a stereotype that isn't based on facts. Furthermore, the notion that they aren't attractive and can't be into feminine things at all is another stereotype.

Arya being into men is at this stage a fandom assumption. She behaves like an asexual. This could be because of her age or it could be that she is legitimately this way.

Not wanting to be with the opposite sex does not make her more masculine. Men are interested in sex and having a family too. For example, in the show she was not "one of the guys" nor did she understand Gendry and the other men's interest in Melisandre.

I don't think pairing her off with a companion is anything new see Harry Potter. I don't think having her realize that she must be into boys now is anything new see movies like Now and Then or Anastasia. Plus, with fantasy many feel that a female character needs a male character love interest or else her story is incomplete.

Gendry and Arya would also be further playing into the idea that a female and male can't be just friends and they need to be paired off or have unrequited feelings come between them.

Nymeria was more of a commander and her title would have changed when she married the prince of Dorne and her people integrated into the region.

Someone else commented on age earlier as well. It really all depends on the timeline of the remaining books. I probably should have made that point more clear in the OP. If she's still 11-12, then no, I don't see this happening. Once she hits 14-15 though, I think it starts to become possible. Wasn't Sansa 13 when they married her to Tyrion? Though admittedly he even thought it a bit creepy and considered her more a girl than a woman flowered.

When you say that you think they are Azor, I'm assuming you mean Jon being Azor Ahai reborn and Arya taking the sacrificial place of Nissa Nissa? Hmmm... that too would fit very well. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it actually sounds more likely than my theory, seeing as how happy endings aren't as likely as the heartbreaking deaths of beloved characters.

Or maybe Arya is Azor Ahai,and Jon will be her Nissa Nissa.Who knows?

This is not exactly true. Both Jon and Sansa showed signs of love for each other. Should I mention the fact that Jon rejected WInterfell for Sansa, or that Sansa remembered him time after time throughout the series? They certainly aren't close as Jon and Arya, but to say that there is no sibling love between Jon and Sansa is plainly wrong.

And also, for OP, no. Jon/Arya is complete new level of wrongness and I don't see how GRRM might transform their brother/sister love into something romantic.

I agree. Jon and Arya love each other as brother and sister, but I think even when they find out they are cousins, they would be grossed out by the idea of being married.

No to the romance angle.

I did always think there was something to the fact that especially in AGoT GrrM makes it a point several times in almost all the Stark POV's to state how Jon and Arya are the most "Starklike" in their appearances compared to the rest of the children. I'm not sure what it means in the story (Bran has the most warg powers to this point, so something else), but there's just too much pointing it out to be meaningless or just to help ligitimize Jon's ancestry imo. (On a similar note, Ned's wondering what he's done to Sansa by killing Lady (something sent by the Old Gods) in AGoT makes me think Sansa is less "Starklike". Again, whatever that means (warg powers?, blood of the first men?, in tune with the Others?, most likely to be killed by a king on a whim?)

Archived