EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

So D&D are going to spoil GRRM's biggest project, that he's been working on for 18+ years and they claim to be massive fans of, just because he happens to be a slow writer? And you think D&D and GRRM are ok with this concept? Seriously? Yeah ok. Believe what you want to believe but I highly doubt that will be happening. Their knowledge of where the books are headed doesn't prove anything about what they'll actually be writing.

The show isn't canon for the books and vice versa. It's an adaptation of the books, meaning they can adapt the story as they see fit. That also means they can make major changes, which they've already done many times.

Also, the quote from David Benioff doesn't prove anything. He was vague enough in his response that he didn't really even say what it is they'll be doing. It was a great non-answer answer.

You might want to consider allowing for the possibility, because it is a possibility. Your posts give me the impression that you would find this outcome to be disappointing, to say the least. Nearly everybody on this site would prefer to read the end of the story in the books, but we are just being realistic about the timeline.

You talk about GRRM's biggest project, well the show is D&D's biggest project, and they want the best possible outcome for it just like GRRM does for the books. The best ending is going to be the ending GRRM has been building to all of these years, so D&D will most likely use that, they are not going to forsake their show and write a weaker ending because they're afraid of spoiling book readers.

So D&D are going to spoil GRRM's biggest project, that he's been working on for 18+ years and they claim to be massive fans of, just because he happens to be a slow writer? And you think D&D and GRRM are ok with this concept? Seriously? Yeah ok. Believe what you want to believe but I highly doubt that will be happening.

oh, you sweet summer child...

It's fine; he is still on the first stage of the process. Right now he is denying the inevitable. When he cannot do that anymore, he will will move on to anger. Then, hopefully, he will eventually reach a state of acceptance.

You might want to consider allowing for the possibility, because it is a possibility. Your posts give me the impression that you would find this outcome to be disappointing, to say the least. Nearly everybody on this site would prefer to read the end of the story in the books, but we are just being realistic about the timeline.

As soon as there's actual evidence suggesting they'll be doing this, I'll entertain it as a possibility. Until then, it's just speculation based on very little actual evidence.

My point has little to do with the timeline. I'm assuming they've come up with contingency plans for the scenario where they catch up to GRRM. Assuming they have to adapt the story exactly as GRRM plans on writing it doesn't make sense, especially if the books aren't published.

You talk about GRRM's biggest project, well the show is D&D's biggest project, and they want the best possible outcome for it just like GRRM does for the books. The best ending is going to be the ending GRRM has been building to all of these years, so D&D will most likely use that, they are not going to forsake their show and write a weaker ending because they're afraid of spoiling book readers.

The assumption that the show is all that matters in this scenario is just...wrong. Yes it's their biggest project. So? That means they're going to screw over another big project in the process? I just don't see that happening. I don't always think they're great writers but they aren't idiots.

The bottom line is no one knows what they have planned. Only the showrunners, GRRM, probably Bryan Cogman, and a few executives at HBO know those things. They've all been very vague when asked such questions. Smart politician-like non-answers.

It's fine; he is still on the first stage of the process. Right now he is denying the inevitable. When he cannot do that anymore, he will will move on to anger. Then, hopefully, he will eventually reach a state of acceptance.

Yes obviously that's it. It can't possibly be the fact that I like actual facts and evidence before jumping onboard with wild speculation. Nope. Can't be that at all.

What are your feelings on the White Walker scene from the end of Oathkeeper? We won't know until more books are published, but that might all ready have been a spoiler. Let's say Jon Snow is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna, and Jon sits on the Iron Throne to unite Westeros. Do you think the show runners should completely change that because A Dream of Spring hasn't been released yet?

What are your feelings on the White Walker scene from the end of Oathkeeper? We won't know until more books are published, but that might all ready have been a spoiler. Let's say Jon Snow is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna, and Jon sits on the Iron Throne to unite Westeros. Do you think the show runners should completely change that because A Dream of Spring hasn't been released yet?

I think the scene is taking liberties with the source material as the rest of the show has. The thing with the baby was suggested by ASOS. It wasn't new info. The stuff with the White Walkers themselves might mean something. Or it might not. It clearly means something for the show. It's unknown what it means for the books.

Or is this line of thinking also complete insanity? Adaptations change major plot points all the time. I'm not expecting the ending of GoT to mirror the ending of ASOIAF. Not exactly anyway.

It's not insane, but I think Game of Thrones has been one of the most faithful adaptations of a book I've ever seen, and it's reasonable to think it will continue to be as faithful as it can while still being a good show. I think D&D want what's best for the show, and that would be using GRRM's ending, for two reasons:

1) GRRM's ending would be better than anything they could come up with on their own.

2) Major changes to the end could ruin the foreshadowing from previous seasons(snow on the Throne)

The assumption that the show is all that matters in this scenario is just...wrong. Yes it's their biggest project. So? That means they're going to screw over another big project in the process? I just don't see that happening. I don't always think they're great writers but they aren't idiots.

Yes, they aren't idiots. They're not gonna sabotage their golden goose TV show to respect the wishes of the few for the books to finish first. Money is at stake and HBO is a business.

It's not insane, but I think Game of Thrones has been one of the most faithful adaptations of a book I've ever seen, and it's reasonable to think it will continue to be as faithful as it can while still being a good show. I think D&D want what's best for the show, and that would be using GRRM's ending, for two reasons:

1) GRRM's ending would be better than anything they could come up with on their own.

2) Major changes to the end could ruin the foreshadowing from previous seasons(snow on the Throne)

I expect there to be similarities between endings. What I don't expect is to have the show's ending match up exactly with the books. The ripple effects caused by the show's deviations could drastically impact how the story ultimately plays out. A different person could end up on the Iron Throne if it makes sense for the story they're telling.

I do agree that whatever GRRM's has planned for his ending would blow away whatever they make up. So I do expect elements of his ending to make it into the show in some form.

Yes, they aren't idiots. They're not gonna sabotage their golden goose TV show to respect the wishes of the few for the books to finish first. Money is at stake and HBO is a business.

Yes, money is at stake. And not just for HBO. GRRM's publishers are businesses too.

And who said anything about sabotaging their show? There's no reason why deviating from the books would necessarily sabotage the show. If that were the case, it would have been sabotaged ages ago. Viewership has increased as the series has gone forward. Clearly deviating isn't sabotaging the show.

The fact that money is at stake isn't proof of the show suddenly being ultra faithful to the core story just because the books haven't been published yet. They have tons of material to play with and they're still making major changes.

There is also the fact that they have publicly commented on how much they like Martin's ending and how appropriate it is.

There is also the fact that they have publicly commented on how much they like Martin's ending and how appropriate it is.

Yeah and...? That indicates they're going to be spoiling things how exactly? They like his ending. That doesn't mean they'll actually use it. It may inspire their own ending that is appropriate for their version of the story.

I'm sure they'll want to use GRRM's ending and if it's good I don't blame them. That still doesn't indicate that they'll actually go that route. It just says they like his ending.

Unless some of us are from the future, none of is know exactly what they're going to do. We may all be right. Aspects of the ending may be similar to the books and others may be completely fabricated.

As soon as there's actual evidence suggesting they'll be doing this, I'll entertain it as a possibility. Until then, it's just speculation based on very little actual evidence.

White Walkers.

My point has little to do with the timeline. I'm assuming they've come up with contingency plans for the scenario where they catch up to GRRM. Assuming they have to adapt the story exactly as GRRM plans on writing it doesn't make sense, especially if the books aren't published.

Their contingency plan is to forge on ahead with the information that Martin himself gave them and continue with their tv show. Of course it won't be the same, but it's not exactly the same now.

Martin himself signed away his story to HBO...all of it, including the books not yet written. If he cared about that sort of thing, he wouldn't have done it. Why should you feel abhorred by the possibility on Martin's behalf when the he himself took the money and signed over the rights? He's worked in show business a long time, he knows how it works.

The bottom line is no one knows what they have planned. Only the showrunners, GRRM, probably Bryan Cogman, and a few executives at HBO know those things. They've all been very vague when asked such questions. Smart politician-like non-answers.

They play politics because they are in a no-win situation. There's nothing that they can say that wouldn't anger some contingent of fans so they say nothing. But that doesn't mean that they are going to sit on their hands for 5 or 6 years waiting for Martin to finally finish his last book so as to not 'hurt his feelings'.

Yes obviously that's it. It can't possibly be the fact that I like actual facts and evidence before jumping onboard with wild speculation. Nope. Can't be that at all.

What evidence? They've already clearly gone beyond the books with the White Walkers. If they've already done that, why wouldn't they move along other characters who wouldn't have anything to do in the next season without future storyline? They are making a tv show...they have a limited time frame in which to write in and a limited budget in which to make it.

Yeah and...? That indicates they're going to be spoiling things how exactly? They like his ending. That doesn't mean they'll actually use it. It may inspire their own ending that is appropriate for their version of the story.

I'm sure they'll want to use GRRM's ending and if it's good I don't blame them. That still doesn't indicate that they'll actually go that route. It just says they like his ending.

Unless some of us are from the future, none of is know exactly what they're going to do. We may all be right. Aspects of the ending may be similar to the books and others may be completely fabricated.

Why would they change the ending if they like it? Why would they put themselves through the trouble of writing a whole new final act when there's a perfectly acceptable one that is already done, one that fulfills the story arc that they have been developing for 7 seasons? It's idiotic.

I think you're engaging in wishful thinking, wanting to have your cake and eat it too, as it were.

The fact is, the likeliest course is that they will use the book ending to end the show. Perhaps not exactly. Perhaps someone lives in the show that dies in the books, or vice versa, but it is most likely that the broad lines of the ending will be spoiled for you if you're a book reader.

So D&D are going to spoil GRRM's biggest project, that he's been working on for 18+ years and they claim to be massive fans of, just because he happens to be a slow writer? And you think D&D and GRRM are ok with this concept? Seriously? Yeah ok. Believe what you want to believe but I highly doubt that will be happening. Their knowledge of where the books are headed doesn't prove anything about what they'll actually be writing.

The show isn't canon for the books and vice versa. It's an adaptation of the books, meaning they can adapt the story as they see fit. That also means they can make major changes, which they've already done many times.

Also, the quote from David Benioff doesn't prove anything. He was vague enough in his response that he didn't really even say what it is they'll be doing. It was a great non-answer answer.

I'm completely flabbergasted by the fact that you seem to believe that D&D should change GRRM's ending in order not to spoil the books, and that this would be a sign of respect and being true fans. :huh:

I mean, what the...? Really?! :eek: Changing the ending of a book in a book "adaptation" is the worst kind of disrespect and a sign of a completely unfaithful adaptation, it's the boogeyman that paranoid book fans scare each other with, it's the kind of thing authors throw public tantrums over, it's the butt of jokes about stupid Hollywood, it's the "1995 Scarlet Letter with Demi Moore" (with a happy ending where Hester and Dimmesdale run off together!) territory.

I'm sure that GRRM would be much happier if GoT is as faithful as possible to his work, even if it "spoils" the books (it's not like anyone will decide not to read them because they've already seen the ending of the show).

Or...they're making stuff up. Why is this such a crazy concept? It happens all the time with adaptations, including this very show we're all wasting our time arguing about.

How many adaptations work directly with the author of the actual books who has given them actual story for the actual future novels?

Some things will change, but the main narratives will not.

I mean, what the...? Really?! :eek: Changing the ending of a book in a book "adaptation" is the worst kind of disrespect and a sign of a completely unfaithful adaptation, it's the boogeyman that paranoid book fans scare each other with, it's the kind of thing authors throw public tantrums over, it's the butt of jokes about stupid Hollywood, it's the "1995 Scarlet Letter with Demi Moore" (with a happy ending where Hester and Dimmesdale run off together!) territory.

This. QFT.

^Well, they'll be going by books 4 and 5 so of course they'll give him something to do.

(I know you've complained about him not being wilful/prideful enough but I think that side of him will have to come out. The plot mechanics demand it).

Archived