Upcoming Cover Art VI

AncalagonTheBlack

The Return of the Discontinued Man by Mark Hodder (Del Rey UK)

Theatre of the Gods by M. Suddain (Random House UK)

Elisha Magus by E.C. Ambrose (DAW)

cover art by Cliff Nielsen

Young Woman in a Garden: Stories by Delia Sherman (Small Beer Press)

Sherwood Nation by Benjamin Parzybok (Small Beer Press)

Prophecies, Libels & Dreams: Stories by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Small Beer Press)

Zombies: More Recent Dead, edited by Paula Guran (Prime Books)

That Steven Erikson cover looks fucking terrible. Terrible. They didn't need to get his nephew to pose for the cover. Also, real people on covers unless its a biography is a terrible idea.

Every time Voyager do new cover art for Hobb, it seems to go downhill. They started off with John Howe and have gotten weaker with every re-iteration.

Actually, the John Howe covers look very dated right now. The newer Jackie Morris covers look quite spectacular up close, although the linked images above are of poor quality. The Farseer trilogy was re-released with new Jackie Morris covers and they look great IMHO, but as always YMMV.

The artist Jackie Morris explains how the new covers came to be:

http://beforeitsnews.com/arts/2014/03/robin-hobb-cover-art-part-2-2456700.html

Every time Voyager do new cover art for Hobb, it seems to go downhill. They started off with John Howe and have gotten weaker with every re-iteration.

Personally, I think the new covers are gorgeous. Though there's not much wrong with the Howe covers either.

Actually, the John Howe covers look very dated right now. The newer Jackie Morris covers look quite spectacular up close, although the linked images above are of poor quality. The Farseer trilogy was re-released with new Jackie Morris covers and they look great IMHO, but as always YMMV.

The artist Jackie Morris explains how the new covers came to be:

http://beforeitsnews.com/arts/2014/03/robin-hobb-cover-art-part-2-2456700.html

I don't agree. The John Howe covers were fantastic and the best cover on any Hobb book ever.

They've not come near that since ( and that applies for most series of course).

I don't agree. The John Howe covers were fantastic and the best cover on any Hobb book ever.

They've not come near that since ( and that applies for most series of course).

The Howe artwork itself is still great, but the overall design of the books with all those fancy borders and playful details is very, very dated. And as I said YMMV.

Archived