NFL 2014 Offseason: free agent frenzy winds down

DanteGabriel

Word out of Foxborough is that Vince Wilfork has agreed to a three-year, $22.5 Million deal with the Pats. Its good news not-so-much because the Pats improved dramatically, but its good to know the Pats no longer have to deal with a lingering question.

http://www.whdh.com/story/25094276/vince-wilfork-signs-new-225m-deal-with-patriots

Commentary I've seen is that in reality it's $3 million for this year with the potential to escalate to $8 million with various incentives, and two more option years (though I can't find anything to tell me if it's a player option or team option). Seems like a team-friendly deal. I am glad Wilfork is sticking around.

D. Jackson just got released by the Iggles as well

According to this article, part of the problem is that they thought he was going Aaron Hernandez on them.

It's a shame that it takes one guy getting arrested for murder for teams to start to consider, "hey, maybe having this guy on our team who - despite being a multimillionaire who has lived a posh lifestyle since college - refuses to give up his ties with violent gang members isn't a good idea?"

Hopefully Jackson won't be able to find another job in the NFL and he's made a strict example of, but we all know he will. The Raiders are probably already on line one.

Commentary I've seen is that in reality it's $3 million for this year with the potential to escalate to $8 million with various incentives, and two more option years (though I can't find anything to tell me if it's a player option or team option). Seems like a team-friendly deal. I am glad Wilfork is sticking around.

According to this article, part of the problem is that they thought he was going Aaron Hernandez on them.

Yep, that is what they are covering on ESPN right now - the gang connections, etc.

I am still pretty shocked by this. SI article with a few more details.

The Eagles reportedly had been shopping Jackson in hopes of avoiding this outcome. The $10.5 million base salary Jackson was owed for 2014 thwarted their attempts, with Jackson expressing no desire to restructure his contract in the event of a move. Philadelphia now will accept a dead-money cap hit of more than $6 million to cut Jackson.

Apparently the Eagles tried to trade him, but his 10.5 million dollar figure made him unappealing to potential suitors. Just looking at his production, that seems like a totally appropriate salary for a 27 year old 3-time pro bowl wide receiver. Significantly less than Fitz and Calvin Johnson.

I am amazed that the Eagles would rather pay $6 million not to have Jackson than pay $10.5 million to have him. Indicates they are really really interested in moving on. One has to assume that the "market value" for Jackson is going to be much lower due to these off the field concerns.

Regardless, I can't help but be a little pleased to see the Eagles paying $6 million for the privilege of cutting their #1 receiver.

I remember in his rookie year, DeSean Jackson had his premature celebration against the Cowboys (where he dropped the ball to celebrate prior to crossing the goal line). One of my friends said "DeSean Jackson, you are a bonehead." She was so, so right.

EDIT: clarity

I am still pretty shocked by this. SI article with a few more details.

Apparently the Eagles tried to trade him, but his 10.5 million dollar figure made him unappealing to potential suitors. Just looking at his production, that seems like a totally appropriate salary for a 27 year old 3-time pro bowl wide receiver. Significantly less than Fitz and Calvin Johnson.

I am amazed that the Eagles would rather pay $6 million not to have Jackson than pay $10.5 million to have him. Indicates they are really really interested in moving on. One has to assume that the "market value" for Jackson is going to be much lower due to these off the field concerns.

Regardless, I can't help but be a little pleased to see the Eagles paying $6 million for the privilege of cutting their #1 receiver.

I remember in his rookie year, DeSean Jackson had his premature celebration against the Cowboys (where he dropped the ball to celebrate prior to crossing the goal line). One of my friends said "DeSean Jackson, you are a bonehead." She was so, so right.

EDIT: clarity

Wonder what would happen if the Eagles unloaded him on some team knowing he was a gang-banger, and then he went Aaron Hernandez. The OKC Thunder lost a bunch of draft picks for trading Jeff Green knowing he had a heart issue, and not disclosing it. Seems that not disclosing that you know the guy might be a ticking violent time bomb is quite a bit more serious than that.

Wonder what would happen if the Eagles unloaded him on some team knowing he was a gang-banger, and then he went Aaron Hernandez. The OKC Thunder lost a bunch of draft picks for trading Jeff Green knowing he had a heart issue, and not disclosing it. Seems that not disclosing that you know the guy might be a ticking violent time bomb is quite a bit more serious than that.

More serious, maybe, but also more deniable. Presumably any team trading for him would need to do their homework on the character issues of the guy they are getting. Plus, the NFL doesn't care about any sort of precedent the NBA sets. I would be really surprised if an NFL team could get draft picks from another unless there were evidence of an actual coverup (and such evidence would be very hard to get).

So, ties to gang members surface when they surface, that is what it is, but how is it that the dude owns and has owned a record label with a gang reference IN THE NAME OF THE GODDAMNED LABEL and this is the first time anyone's mentioned it? Cripes.

Crips will always replace CK in anything with cc or kk, because in street parlance, CK stands for Crip Killer. This is how we wind up with songs called things like "Real Muthaphukkin' Gs" and rappers named stuff like Knocc Out.

Well, I'm sure that Jackson will land somewhere. And hopefully this will serve as a wake up call that even as good as he is, he is not indispensible. If he signs a short deal somewhere and lights it up, he could still have another big contract in his future.

For this coming year, I've heard Green Bay and Carolina mentioned as teams that have decent qbs and could use help at receiver. I bet he'd put up great numbers at either place.

I think its more about the position of WR itself. Its becoming not the glamourous high dollar position it once was. Teams are saying they are dime a dozen unless you are megatron or fitz

Are they? I haven't heard that. RBs, maybe, but WR? Not so sure that's true.

Ive noticed lot more recievers who i thought were extremely talented get cut or not resigned during the last decade. I could be wrong but seems that way to me.

Especially since really good QBs make any reciever look good.

I gotta agree with Mexal, legit #1 WRs (which Jackson is) are definitely still getting paid.

Vincent Jackson - $13 million per year the past two years.

Pierre Garcon - 5 years, $42 million, $21 mil guaranteed.

Greg Jennings - 5 years, $47 million, 18 mil guaranteed.

None of those guys are on the Fitz/Johnson level, but teams had to open up the checkbooks because they know that without a #1 receiver, it is hard to keep defenses honest. If anything, I think that this year's relatively stingy WR market is because this is a very deep WR class in the draft, so teams know that if they don't sign, they'll just draft a guy who can contribute. But it isn't that way every year.

Archived