NFL 2014 Offseason: free agent frenzy winds down

DanteGabriel

I doubt Geno is gonna give his number to the guy who would be taking his job.

Exactly. Usually this is a DB buying a running back's number or a receiver buying a tight end's number. If it's the same position, it's often a renowned veteran dealing with a younger player or a backup where there's already a sort of pecking order established. It's almost never guys competing for the same job.

Good point. I didn't even consider that dynamic before responding. I guess it depends on the relationship between the two players, though Vick doesn't really strike me as the sort who would take a young player under his wing. I don't really know enough about Smith to know whether or not he'd be amenable to that sort of arrangement or not.

Still wondering what the Vikings do about their QB situation. They only have a couple years left of Adrian Peterson being a dominant force, and you'd think they'd want to try to win now. None of the QBs in this draft fit that, as Bortles seems like a guy you are going to have to be patient with, Bridgewater's stock is tanking, and Manziel just doesn't fit in with what you want to do with Peterson.

Good point. I didn't even consider that dynamic before responding. I guess it depends on the relationship between the two players, though Vick doesn't really strike me as the sort who would take a young player under his wing. I don't really know enough about Smith to know whether or not he'd be amenable to that sort of arrangement or not.

I would bet a non-trivial amount of money that Smith would be... highly resistant to giving up his number to the guy who's coming after his job. Basically, if the Jets do sign Vick, I think there'll be a lot of drama and a lot of New York media stoking the fires on it.

I would bet a non-trivial amount of money that Smith would be... highly resistant to giving up his number to the guy who's coming after his job. Basically, if the Jets do sign Vick, I think there'll be a lot of drama and a lot of New York media stoking the fires on it.

Yeah, I wouldn't take that bet. You'd think that Smith would welcome some sort of mentorship though, given the sort of season he had. Not sure Vick is the ideal guy to provide it, but beggar's can't be choosers, you know?

I've heard nothing but praise for how Vick handled the Foles situation last year, and he was patient after going to Philly when Mcnabb was there. He wants to start, and I think he'd be upset if he won the competition and was benched anyways, but he's always come across as a consummate professional since his release from prison in my opinion.

http://deadspin.com/good-night-sweet-buttfumble-1549124795

This is the greatest thing I have seen since the last time Sarah McLachlan's voice was used to mercilessly shame a terrible QB.

Look, he was terrible and had been terrible since pretty much ... ever. When he was good, he was mediocre, and when he was bad he was legendary. And this is from a team that once relied on a guy named Browning Nagle as their QB. Sanchez was so bad that for a while he actually competed against ... Tim Tebow.

There is a chance that a team is in dire need of a moderately good-looking guy to hold a clipboard with gusto, but other than that? Well... we'll always have the butt-fumble...

http://deadspin.com/good-night-sweet-buttfumble-1549124795

This is the greatest thing I have seen since the last time Sarah McLachlan's voice was used to mercilessly shame a terrible QB.

Look, he was terrible and had been terrible since pretty much ... ever. When he was good, he was mediocre, and when he was bad he was legendary. And this is from a team that once relied on a guy named Browning Nagle as their QB. Sanchez was so bad that for a while he actually competed against ... Tim Tebow.

There is a chance that a team is in dire need of a moderately good-looking guy to hold a clipboard with gusto, but other than that? Well... we'll always have the butt-fumble...

The buttfumble is a horrifying example of the brilliance of football, it's so unpredictable. I think that's one of the reasons I actually enjoy watching it more than basketball, there's an element of insane randomness that just isn't present in many sports. Where the Jets have the buttfumble, the Colts had the Luck Scoop-n-Score in the Wildcard game this year.

That said, there's something cool about fans (real fans) of teams that suck. I like to think I'd still watch the Colts if they'd taken Brandon Weedon with the top pick in 2012, but I can't say for sure. Mad respect to all you good fans.

Mark Cuban is predicting a decline in the NFL in 10 years because they are getting too "hoggy". I agree with him and I think the expanded playoffs will add to this. The NFL is greedy. Instead of trying to make the league better, they spend their time trying to expand it and make more money. I already barely watch TNF games and if they start throwing games up on other nights, I'll probably not watch them either unless it's the Bengals. And I hate that. Over-saturation and lessening the value of the regular season is what's going to destroy the NFL, more so than the safety issues.

Mark Cuban is predicting a decline in the NFL in 10 years because they are getting too "hoggy". I agree with him and I think the expanded playoffs will add to this. The NFL is greedy. Instead of trying to make the league better, they spend their time trying to expand it and make more money. I already barely watch TNF games and if they start throwing games up on other nights, I'll probably not watch them either unless it's the Bengals. And I hate that. Over-saturation and lessening the value of the regular season is what's going to destroy the NFL, more so than the safety issues.

I'm interested in how much fantasy football matters. Because I think it's far and away the driving force behind the ratings and revenue domination of the NFL. And fi that's the case, it doesn't really matter how good the product on the field is. Everything is all theoretical anyway, except for the diehard fans.

Between over-expansion, and the continuing safety issues fallout, I can definitely see the NFL's popularity falling off dramatically. Maybe not within 10 years, but certainly within 20.

I think the gap in popularity between the NFL and the other leagues is already declining, considering the massive values of new MLB and NBA TV contracts (I'm not as sure about the NHL).

Archived