NFL 2014 Offseason: free agent frenzy winds down

DanteGabriel

Cowboys get on the board, signing Henry Melton. http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10630600/dallas-cowboys-reach-agreement-former-chicago-bears-dt-henry-melton

Have to see the details of the contract, but unless they grossly overpaid I think it's a good signing. Their defense revolves around the 3-technique tackle and he solves that. I will say that short term, Jason Hatcher is the better player, especially since Melton is coming off of an ACL injury and he has that recent arrest. But he's also only 27 so this could be a better long term signing.

With this signing, it certainly affects the draft. They need a defensive end (and Jared Allen is unlikely to sign) but from what I've read, drafting a DE there in the first round would probably be reaching. They could get one of the top safeties (Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor) or a massive nose tackle like Louis Nix III.

That is great news. I actually like Melton more than Hatcher. I think he is over all a better player and that Hatcher just had a freak year last year.

I am also really holding on to hope that the Cowboys can land Jackson Jeffcoat. I personally think he is a steal in the second round, but he is still being projected to be picked in the third.

You know what that is? You know what THAT is?

Gonna be a repeat of last year. The game's best secondary and just sending waves of pass rushers at teams.

Maybe without Red Bryant you can run on them? Maybe? Outside of that I got nothing.

The video sums it up perfectly. This has not been a fun free agency period for the Niners.

Gonna be a repeat of last year. The game's best secondary and just sending waves of pass rushers at teams.

Maybe without Red Bryant you can run on them? Maybe? Outside of that I got nothing.

Pray for injuries or suspensions, I guess.

You can run on them, you can also go deep on them if you can give the QB enough time...

After that I got nothing.

The only saving grace is that their team is so unsustainable there's no chance they keep being contenders for more than a couple years.

Jared Allen + "adderall" is going to be unstoppable.

I wish 'adderall' made me run faster, jump higher, and play defense better. I just drove my car like a maniac and ate an abnormal amount of peanut butter...

It's an absurdly great signing. The Seahawks went from a favorite to repeat to a scary favorite to repeat.

There are holes in the Seahawks defense. They still do not deal with running or scrambling QBs particularly well, and improvised play can beat them. They still are not stellar against the run, especially on the road, and the loss of Bryant + getting Allen won't help that either. But otherwise their defense is loaded with potentially 8 pro bowlers: Thomas, Sherman, Maxwell, Chancellor, Allen, Bennett, Avril and Wright. That's 85 bears level of dominance.

The trick for the Seahawks is that their OLine - one of the worst already - got significantly worse so far. Losing Breno hurts. Losing Carpenter (if that happens) isn't going to be a problem - he was shitty. But they have essentially one functional guard, one good center when not injured (and he's missed 4 games per season), one good tackle when not injured (he's missed 8 per season) and huge question marks otherwise.

I wish 'adderall' made me run faster, jump higher, and play defense better. I just drove my car like a maniac and ate an abnormal amount of peanut butter...

Adderall made you hungry? Did the opposite for me- I lost 10 pounds in my last semester in college.

Either way, a lot of people are skeptical that "adderall" is really Adderall.

Adderall made you hungry? Did the opposite for me- I lost 10 pounds in my last semester in college.

Either way, a lot of people are skeptical that "adderall" is really Adderall.

It didn't make me hungry, but the only thing I would eat was peanut butter for about a week. It was weird, because I'm not typically all about the stuff. I'll put it on bread with a grape jelly once in a while, but :dunno:

I'm really weird about my eating habits though, and I never seem to gain or lose weight. It's whatever.

I'm currently watching all the game highlights from 2010, and I remember why Peyton broke his neck. Dragging the carcass of the 2000's dynasty (and Jim Caldwell's zombie body) to the playoffs took a lot out of him.

It's an absurdly great signing.

Agreed, but I'm interested to know what they paid. My one hope in all of this is that they over extend themselves capwise and are unable to pay Wilson when the time comes. Or they have to gut the defense in order to get that done.

Outside of that, yeah, they have to be a heavy favorite to repeat next season.

Archived