NFL 2014 Offseason: free agent frenzy winds down

DanteGabriel

I'm hoping the Patriots can sign Kenny Britt to a team friendly deal. He flashed potential for a couple years.

I don't agree -- he may have potential, but it's less than a year since Hernandez got arrested, and now they're chasing another knucklehead.

at least 60% of players in the NFL are knuckleheads. I can only think of 3 former players who were involved in homicides.

I think at least at this point they are a little gun shy about anyone they would pick up who has a history that might lead to lost time on the field because of off the field antics. I would be, but I'm not The Hood. He may see something different.

Pretty much feel the same about the Niners free agent moves. They lost a fair amount of talent in the secondary (Whitner, Rogers and Brown) and seemed content to pick up project players primarily (Gabbert and Chris Cook). Guess they're going to have to go for a CB early in the draft.

Yeah and I'm curious what Harbaugh and Baalke's plans are to make up that small gap with Seattle who mostly was able to hold onto their key guys while the 49ers had some FA losses that seem harder to replace. Short of Kaepernick developing quicker than Wilson where will they get that competitive edge? Team-wide offseason strength training program against walruses?

at least 60% of players in the NFL are knuckleheads. I can only think of 3 former players who were involved in homicides.

Hernandez, Lewis, Carruth, Simpson. Boom 4!

Yeah and I'm curious what Harbaugh and Baalke's plans are to make up that small gap with Seattle who mostly was able to hold onto their key guys while the 49ers had some FA losses that seem harder to replace. Short of Kaepernick developing quicker than Wilson where will they get that competitive edge? Team-wide offseason strength training program against walruses?

five, actually. I forgot about Simpson and Carruth and was thinking Harrison.

Ugh Thurmond to the Giants. If that's it for the meaningful part of free agency, I'm giving the Skins a C-. They had a bunch of cap space but I'm not sure they used it effectively. They did nothing to address their glaring weakness in the secondary despite deep safety and CB free agent classes. What are they going to do now? Draft another 3 DBs who, like all young DBs, only learn by becoming burnt toast? They also brought in 3 O-linemen which is good theoretically but all graded out poorly last year and I'm not sure Will Montgomery, who they just cut, isn't better than all of them. My best hope is we give up some killer run-blocking for a more stout pass-blocking group - the guys brought in at least are bigger. But can they play? Think that's the very open question. I'm also concerned about overpays (though the Hatcher deal actually looks quite team friendly.)

The one thing I did like is they emphasized shoring up the pass rush (franchising Orakpo, bringing in Hatcher). They also did a decent job retaining their own (i.e.: Hall, Riley) for continuity sake. However I'm not sure that continuity should have included Jim Haslett. Just left hoping like hell Bruce Allen knows what he's doing because that too is a very open question.

I agree with most of what you've said, but I'm overall more bullish about the whole thing. Yes, we didn't make any splashy signings, but frankly that was never what we needed. And the guys we've brought in may or may not work, but they're the kind of signings that CAN work really well (mid tier, youngish guys who could be solid starters in the right system). Not getting a safety was weird, but nothing is perfect, and frankly I think that while there were a lot of safeties available, there was something of a run on them in the first day, and a lot of so-so safeties got overpaid. We don't need another washed up, overpaid guy to fill in. If a safety we draft has growing pains, so be it.

five, actually. I forgot about Simpson and Carruth and was thinking Harrison.

Don't forget Belcher, so we're up to six...

This is a depressing list.

Brandon Weeden signed with the Cowboys

Ugh. I GUESS it's okay if he's the 3rd QB. But 2 years for 1.23 million for the #3? I suspect that this is more of insurance policy in case Kyle Orton retires, as has been speculated. But frak me if Weeden is the #2 and Romo gets injured.

Again, ugh.

Yeah, if anything it feels like they've lost a little ground to Seattle. Not sure what the answer is at this point outside of having an A+ draft.

I guess we could always use more Bukkit...http://s448.photobucket.com/user/ericstotle04/media/theybestealinmybucketseij5.jpg.html

Donte Stallworth killed a man.

I agree with most of what you've said, but I'm overall more bullish about the whole thing. Yes, we didn't make any splashy signings, but frankly that was never what we needed. And the guys we've brought in may or may not work, but they're the kind of signings that CAN work really well (mid tier, youngish guys who could be solid starters in the right system). Not getting a safety was weird, but nothing is perfect, and frankly I think that while there were a lot of safeties available, there was something of a run on them in the first day, and a lot of so-so safeties got overpaid. We don't need another washed up, overpaid guy to fill in. If a safety we draft has growing pains, so be it.

How would you feel if instead of drafting a safety we not so hypothetically brought back Brandon Meriweather on a one year deal?

This is a relief! I thought we'd start to go entire halves without a personal foul penalty.

How would you feel if instead of drafting a safety we not so hypothetically brought back Brandon Meriweather on a one year deal?

This is a relief! I thought we'd start to go entire halves without a personal foul penalty.

Meriweather wasn't great for us, but he wasn't a complete disaster either. If that happened, I could live with it. If the pass rush were better, a lot of our crappy safeties would suddenly start looking competent. Not great, but adequate.

Meriweather wasn't great for us, but he wasn't a complete disaster either. If that happened, I could live with it. If the pass rush were better, a lot of our crappy safeties would suddenly start looking competent. Not great, but adequate.

Aand now I realize that you probably weren't talking about the hypothetical, but that we had already signed Meriweather. I was hoping we could do better, but if other parts of the defense are improved, Meriweather is passable.

I keep reading that the Lions want to and 'will absolutely' restructure Ndamukong Suh's deal which has a reported 22.5 million dollar cap hit. While I don't doubt that the Lions WANT to restructure the deal, I can't imagine why Suh would let them. The guy is about to make 22.5 million dollars this year, and then can sign a new contract at the end of the season as a pending free agent. Why on earth would any athlete restructure the last year of their massive deal if they're still young and have no risk of being cut? That makes no sense to me and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation.

I keep reading that the Lions want to and 'will absolutely' restructure Ndamukong Suh's deal which has a reported 22.5 million dollar cap hit. While I don't doubt that the Lions WANT to restructure the deal, I can't imagine why Suh would let them. The guy is about to make 22.5 million dollars this year, and then can sign a new contract at the end of the season as a pending free agent. Why on earth would any athlete restructure the last year of their massive deal if they're still young and have no risk of being cut? That makes no sense to me and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation.

Generally when you get someone to restructure in the final year of their deal, you do it by (either) extending their contract or threatening to cut them. Good as Suh is, he is absolutely not worth 22.5 million, and in general DTs have been getting less money the last couple of years because of a surge of rookies who play DT created a glut on the market. Just because Suh is better than any DT available doesn't mean that the Lions couldn't cut him. If the Lions did cut him an immediately offer him a one year, $15 million contract, that would be better than anything he could get from any other team at this point. And PRESTO, 7.5 million dollars saved.

Archived