Sansa and Harry's marriage.

Northernmonkey

When Sansa gets married to Harry, will it be as Sansa or as Alayne? I've always assumed it would be as Sansa, but I've seen a few people on here suggest otherwise. But why would Harry marry Littlefinger's bastard daughter?

I've also seen people suggest that it would be difficult for Sansa to marry because she's already married and because of the regicide, but I don't agree with that.

Firstly, Sansa should still have her maidenhead, so it should be easy to declare the marriage void.

Secondly, I doubt anyone in the Vale, The Riverlands or The North will care about the regicide, and they can just blame it on Tyrion anyway. And the Lannister's and The Tyrell's will be too busy dealing with Aegon and the Ironborn to start a war with the Vale as well.

I've also heard people say that they'll have to go to the high septon to have the marriage annulled, but I'm not sure if that's true either. Can't the lords of the Vale just declare the marriage void and have the marriage anyway? Who's going to care? And surely you don't have to go to the high septon everytime anyone in Westeros wants a marriage annulled?

When Sansa gets married to Harry, will it be as Sansa or as Alayne? I've always assumed it would be as Sansa, but I've seen a few people on here suggest otherwise. But why would Harry marry Littlefinger's bastard daughter?

I've also seen people suggest that it would be difficult for Sansa to marry because she's already married and because of the regicide, but I don't agree with that.

Firstly, Sansa should still have her maidenhead, so it should be easy to declare the marriage void.

Secondly, I doubt anyone in the Vale, The Riverlands or The North will care about the regicide, and they can just blame it on Tyrion anyway. And the Lannister's and The Tyrell's will be too busy dealing with Aegon and the Ironborn to start a war with the Vale as well.

I've also heard people say that they'll have to go to the high septon to have the marriage annulled, but I'm not sure if that's true either. Can't the lords of the Vale just declare the marriage void and have the marriage anyway? Who's going to care? And surely you don't have to go to the high septon everytime anyone in Westeros wants a marriage annulled?

I have always wondered why he would marry Sansa even if he knew she was Sansa. He would have to take Winterfell back with his own armies more than likely if he wanted his children to inherit it and he would be making an enemy of the crown, which wouldn't be much an issue at the moment but still why risk it for the heiress to a house that has been utterly destroyed.

Harry is nothing more than a minor landed knight aside from being Robert's Heir, so a bastard daughter of a Lord Paramount and Lord Protector isn't really that absurd a match. His whole value is based on Robert dying and if he never does Harry is a household knight and little more. No idea if LF told Lady Waynwood about Sansa's true identity or if he simply financially/politically incentivised the match, but however they struck the bargain one of two things is true. 1. They expect Robert to die (Sansa) or 2. They expect him to live (Alayne)

I have always wondered why he would marry Sansa even if he knew she was Sansa. He would have to take Winterfell back with his own armies more than likely if he wanted his children to inherit it and he would be making an enemy of the crown, which wouldn't be much an issue at the moment but still why risk it for the heiress to a house that has been utterly destroyed.

Well he would only be making an enemy of the Lannister's and the Tyrell's, and according to LF they won't be on the throne for much longer, and at the moment they can't afford to go to war with the Vale.

Also, the Vale are close allies with the Tullies and the Starks, and lots of the Vale lords wanted to enter the war on their side, so in any ways Sansa is the perfect wife.

LF intends to wed Sansa as herself, not Alayne:

"Jon Arryn’s bannermen will never love me, nor our silly, shaking Robert, but they will love their Young Falcon... and when they come together for his wedding, and you come out with your long auburn hair, clad in a maiden’s cloak of white and grey with a direwolf emblazoned on the back... why, every knight in the Vale will pledge his sword to win you back your birthright."

However, his arrangement with Lady Waynwood presumes she is Alayne:

“Lady Waynwood?” Alayne could hardly believe it. “Why would she marry one of her sons to... to a...”

“... bastard? For a start, you are the Lord Protector’s bastard, never forget."

The kicker is - if Sweet Robin dies before LF can reveal Sansa for who she is (and annul her marriage to Tyrion) the new Lord Harry wont be so eager to become betrothed to the despised ex-Lord Protector's bastard daughter. That second cup of sweetsleep Sansa has ordered Maester Colemon, against his better judgement, to give SR before the feast that opens her POV in TWOW should do the trick. A ruckus in the Vale will ensue.

Tywin himself basically told Tyrion to sleep with Sansa as the marriage could be put aside otherwise - and their lack of bedroom action was hardly a secret. If both Sansa and Tyrion say they didn't consummate the marriage then it would be annulled.

Of course the only obstacle is the death sentence hanging over them that prevents either of them from revealing themselves to get the annulment!

She's also the heiress of the Riverlands, if anything unfortunate should happen to Edmure and Roslin, (which seems likely thanks to LF) and nobody expects the Frey's to be able to keep Riverrun.

I'm not sure LF was telling Sansa the truth about his plans and even if he *does* plan on marrying her to Harry, I don't think it will actually go through.

The kicker is - if Sweet Robin dies before LF can reveal Sansa for who she is (and annul her marriage to Tyrion) the new Lord Harry wont be so eager to become betrothed to the despised ex-Lord Protector's bastard daughter. That second cup of sweetsleep Sansa has ordered Maester Colemon, against his better judgement, to give SR before the feast that opens her POV in TWOW should do the trick. A ruckus in the Vale will ensue.

I don't think SR will die...I think he'll defy everyone's expectations and live.

Littlefinger plans to bring her out as Sansa Stark and Sansa Stark is technically Sansa Lannister right now. So there will be no wedding that day. She can get an annulment but it will take time.

I'm not sure about this. Surely they can just get a septa to examine Sansa's maidenhead and then the wedding will be declared void? It shouldn't take too long.

LF has made the betrothal with Harry as "Alayne Stone", which, together with the dowry Lady Waynwood will receive, is a great match for Harry the Heir.

By the time the marriage will take place, however, Tyrion (in LF's plans) will be long dead (LF can demand the betrothal to take as long as he needs it to be), which would make Sansa Stark a widow.

During the wedding ceremony itself, LF plans to reveal that Alayne Stone is actually Sansa Stark, an ever better catch for Harry and Lady Waynwood. Instead of becomming family of the Lord Protector of the Vale, it would make Harry the new Lord of Winterfell. A match so great, that none of those involved has any reason to raise any objection.

I'm not sure LF was telling Sansa the truth about his plans and even if he *does* plan on marrying her to Harry, I don't think it will actually go through.

Yeah, I have never taken LF seriously here either. But, if LF is serious about the marriage to Harry, then I have always considered Harry to be a dead man walking. In my mind, there is no way LF will ever willing give up Sansa to another man, for long. I think he considers her to be his prize.

Yeah, I have never taken LF seriously here either. But, if LF is serious about the marriage to Harry, then I have always considered Harry to be a dead man walking. In my mind, there is no way LF will ever willing give up Sansa to another man, for long. I think he considers her to be his prize.

Marry Sansa to Harry.

Kill SR -> Lord Harry.

Secretly impregnate Sansa himself.

Kill Harry.

Marry Sansa and become Lord Protector again for his own child.

Harry is nothing more than a minor landed knight aside from being Robert's Heir, so a bastard daughter of a Lord Paramount and Lord Protector isn't really that absurd a match. His whole value is based on Robert dying and if he never does Harry is a household knight and little more. No idea if LF told Lady Waynwood about Sansa's true identity or if he simply financially/politically incentivised the match, but however they struck the bargain one of two things is true. 1. They expect Robert to die (Sansa) or 2. They expect him to live (Alayne)

Didn't LF say that Harry was highly sought after?

Marry Sansa to Harry.

Kill SR -> Lord Harry.

Secretly impregnate Sansa himself.

Kill Harry.

Marry Sansa and become Lord Protector again for his own child.

You would think the lords of the Vale might realize what is going on if the young, healthy lord of the Vale dies all of the sudden and Littlefinger swoops in to marry his widow.

You would think the lords of the Vale might realize what is going on if the young, healthy lord of the Vale dies all of the sudden and Littlefinger swoops in to marry his widow.

Good point. And I think the normally smart Littlefinger would be very cautious with such a plan. But, perhaps Littlefinger's Littlefinger might do his thinking for him and that might be his undoing. Even very smart people screw up.

SpringKing, on 16 Mar 2014 - 6:51 PM, said:

snapback.png

Yeah, but LF's taken risks before, like telling Cat and Ned, he'd lost the dagger to Tyrion-a reckless lie that could easily have been disproved.

And as time has gone by, and LF's schemes continue to flourish it's entirely possible he's getting cocky and thinks he can pull that off...

But if that *is* his scheme, I sincerely doubt it's going to work as planned.

Yeah, but LF's taken risks before, like telling Cat and Ned, he'd lost the dagger to Tyrion-a reckless lie that could easily have been disproved.

And as time has gone by, and LF's schemes continue to flourish it's entirely possible he's getting cocky and thinks he can pull that off...

But if that *is* his scheme, I sincerely doubt it's going to work as planned.

Yes.

Hubris + Thinking With Your Penis = Disaster Waiting To Happen

Eh, I wouldn't put much stock in the 2 cups of sweetsleep. The maester genuinely cares for sweetrobin, he's the one distributing the medicine, and he seems to be very cautious about doing it. When Sansa says to give him 2 cups, his reaction is "Okay, but this is the last time for a long while!" and not "Oh gods don't do that he'll die!" He's been competent enough to keep the kid alive so far and he knows the boy's condition very well. Maester's going to trust his medical judgement to keep his lord alive more than the requests of some teenage bastard kid.

Archived