Sansa and Harry's marriage.

Northernmonkey

I'm amazed that anyone thinks that this marriage is going ahead. Littlefinger just told Sansa a bunch of hokum that she wants to hear. His entire legitimacy as Lord Protector of the Vale stems from Sweetrobin being alive, and on a more basic level, he wants Sansa for himself. Littlefinger doing something nice for another, at a cost to himself? Ridiculous. I think he's dangling this potential marriage in order to get more armies on his side.

I agree that LF was telling Sansa what he thought she wanted to hear with the Harry marriage. He's gallant, handsome and highborn! You'll be the Lady of the Vale AND the North! He's wooing Sansa with what the younger and more naive Sansa would have swooned over. Only thing is, the older and wiser Sansa is so over gallant knights now, and she thinks of her claim as an albatross around her neck. (She wants to go home, but she doesn't want to be the heiress of Winterfell, a piece of meat on the Westerosi marriage market.)

LF seems to trust Sansa more than anyone else, and he blabs a LOT to her. He basically tells her straight up: "I am a liar and a bullshit artist! I tell people what they want to hear!" The fact that Sansa's last chapter in AFFC ends on a cliffhanger - LF has finished telling her all about the Harry plans, but she has not responded - makes me think that her enthusiasm is muted AND that she doesn't really believe a word LF is telling her.

I think that Harry is a red Harryng - even the Hardying house colors are red and white! - and that LF's ultimate plan is to have Sansa for himself. I think he's hoping to rule a united North/Riverlands kingdom with her as heiress and him as her indispensable husband - yes, I think LF wants to marry Sansa himself. :stillsick:

His entire legitimacy as Lord Protector of the Vale stems from Sweetrobin being alive, and on a more basic level, he wants Sansa for himself. Littlefinger doing something nice for another, at a cost to himself?

What cost to himself? It's fairly obvious that he expects Sansa (and Harry) to be his partner/the face of his political operation, and probably he imagines getting rid of Harry at some point. That Littlefinger ultimately wants her for himself doesn't preclude her marrying somebody else as part of his plans.

Ridiculous. I think he's dangling this potential marriage in order to get more armies on his side.

What armies? Sansa doesn't have an army.

I think he's hoping to rule a united North/Riverlands kingdom with her as heiress and him as her indispensable husband

And he'll be acquiring this kingdom how?

I'm not really clear what people think Littlefinger gains by telling Sansa his if it's not his plan. She wasn't pushing him for action on anything; indeed, she was quite fine with the status quo. Moreover, either she starts trying to win Harry soon after or it should be rather obvious that his plan isn't actually happening.

Considering LF's climb to power, I think he figures he can acquire his kingdom...somehow. So far he seems to be banking on Sansa being heiress to Winterfell (he doesn't know that Rickon is still alive and that Davos has been sent to bring him back) and perhaps Riverrun as well (he probably figures that Roslin will die in childbirth and the baby may not survive, and I'm sure that he could eliminate Edmure if he wanted to. He also has to know that the Frey/Lannister hold on Riverrun is tenuous).

I do think that LF wants Sansa for himself; he thinks of her as a young, more malleable, more beautiful Cat 2.0, The New Improved Version. Together, they can Rule The World! Or so he thinks. (He seems to have forgotten that Sansa's first words to him were, "I'm Sansa Stark...")

Considering LF's climb to power, I think he figures he can acquire his kingdom...somehow. So far he seems to be banking on Sansa being heiress to Winterfell (he doesn't know that Rickon is still alive and that Davos has been sent to bring him back) and perhaps Riverrun as well (he probably figures that Roslin will die in childbirth and the baby may not survive, and I'm sure that he could eliminate Edmure if he wanted to. He also has to know that the Frey/Lannister hold on Riverrun is tenuous).

I do think that LF wants Sansa for himself; he thinks of her as a young, more malleable, more beautiful Cat 2.0, The New Improved Version. Together, they can Rule The World! Or so he thinks. (He seems to have forgotten that Sansa's first words to him were, "I'm Sansa Stark...")

I think Littlefinger's only realistic shot at the Iron Throne is a marriage with a queen while he becomes the actual ruling authority. This isn't Sansa. It could be Shireen should her father suffer an untimely death. Plus, Shireen might come with an unlimited credit line from the Iron Throne. Similarly Myrcella comes after her brother, though is already betrothed. My personal favorite option, however, is the Queen Dowager herself, Cersei Lannister. Admittedly, this is power with an expiration date, but Littlefinger married to Cersei could become a de facto regent over Tommen and gets to be right in the middle of Westerosi power. And a marriage to Cersei is realistic match at this point.

Except Sansa doesn't want that. She doesn't want to wed, not now and perhaps never.

You've said that a few times and it seems pretty implausible for the character, sure she wouldn't want to wed a stranger right now, but I certainly can't see her staying unmarried for a long period of time (unless she dies). After all what else is there for a young noblewoman in a medieval period? Poetry and embroidery for the next 40 years or so?

• 1 month later...

Using an adult HtH as a proxy to control the Vale does not sound like a plan. The boy got his knighthood from Bronze Yohn. The true power lies with the regency of a boy lord and Harry will be a man grown soon.

As I posted in my thread, I think LF was planning to kill both HtH and SR secretly. After that, there would be no immediate heir and the crown would decide the inheritance of the Seat of Arryn. LF had no doubt that Cersei would select him as a Lannister crony.

Using an adult HtH as a proxy to control the Vale does not sound like a plan. The boy got his knighthood from Bronze Yohn. The true power lies with the regency of a boy lord and Harry will be a man grown soon.

As I posted in my thread, I think LF was planning to kill both HtH and SR secretly. After that, there would be no immediate heir and the crown would decide the inheritance of the Seat of Arryn. LF had no doubt that Cersei would select him as a Lannister crony.

And the Vale lords would never accept it, nor does the IT have the power to enforce it. What's more likely is that he plans to have Sansa marry Harry, get her pregnant with his bastard, kill off the Arryns and pass off his bastard as the rightful Lord of the Vale. That might work. Him pulling a Cersei.

And the Vale lords would never accept it, nor does the IT have the power to enforce it. What's more likely is that he plans to have Sansa marry Harry, get her pregnant with his bastard, kill off the Arryns and pass off his bastard as the rightful Lord of the Vale. That might work. Him pulling a Cersei.

And with the child being passed off as Harry's, LF might just marry Sansa after she's widowed, to ensure he won't lose his grip on the child.

Archived