Fourth Trailer Hits the Web

Westeros

^Hey Stan, this trailer (though Stannis didn't say anything in it) was the best for him, wasn't it? Cutting from Joffrey's "I broke Stannis" to a resolute looking Stannis and Davos saying emphatically "the war is NOT over." It made my heart flutter.

^Hey Stan, this trailer (though Stannis didn't say anything in it) was the best for him, wasn't it? Cutting from Joffrey's "I broke Stannis" to a resolute looking Stannis and Davos saying emphatically "the war is NOT over." It made my heart flutter.

Yeah i liked it. War's not Over. #Davosismyman.

^It looks like episode 2 will feature a few talks about bastardy. We'll have Cersei and Ellaria's conversation on the matter and then Roose and Ramsay's.

I just wish it had been called "Monsters and Maidens" because that would work for both Ramsay's hunting and the PW.

Stannis!Stannis!STANNIS!

Basically this. I can understand the burning people criticism of Stannis, though offtimes i try to argue against it.

Hell Dany has order cruxification and burned down an entire city.

Astapor is still there, and oh no, dead slave masters, and it was a really painful death? Gasp! Next thing you know Martin will start putting brutality in his worlds. What is this the Middle Ages?

Stannis!Stannis!STANNIS!

Basically this. I can understand the burning people criticism of Stannis, though offtimes i try to argue against it.

Hell Dany has order cruxification and burned down an entire city.

Stannis burned to death men that were following him and who were basically starving to death because of his stupidity. But Dany killed evil slavers who stole young children, castrated them and forced them to murder babes in their mothers arms. Wow she's evil.

Stannis burned to death men that were following him and who were basically starving to death because of his stupidity.

Heh. Everyone in the camp was starving to death. You don't see them eating the dead, now do you?

~5000 total soldiers out of which ~1500 are southron and only 4 of them start eating the dead. For all you know they murdered that guy. Says a lot about their character. If Stannis doesn't make a move on them and makes an example of them, then you'll find more dead bodies next morning.

How was his plan to march to WF stupid? :bang:

I will never know. But mayhaps to a Dany fan it is, so be it.

Astapor is still there, and oh no, dead slave masters, and it was a really painful death? Gasp! Next thing you know Martin will start putting brutality in his worlds. What is this the Middle Ages?

#RememberAstapor.

The point here was that people are giving Stannis flak for burning people, which i agree is a horrible punishment, but then condone Dany for setting an entire city ablaze and burning many people. <_<

Heh. Everyone in the camp was starving to death. You don't see them eating the dead, now do you?

~5000 total soldiers out of which ~1500 are southron and only 4 of them start eating the dead. For all you know they murdered that guy. Says a lot about their character. If Stannis doesn't make a move on them and makes an example of them, then you'll find more dead bodies next morning.

How was his plan to march to WF stupid? :bang:

I will never know. But mayhaps to a Dany fan it is, so be it.

#RememberAstapor.

The point here was that people are giving Stannis flak for burning people, which i agree is a horrible punishment, but then condone Dany for setting an entire city ablaze and burning many people. <_<

I'm not a Stannis-hater, but the whole Astapor thing and this argument have always seemed kind of ridiculous to me. Stannis condemned petty thieves and minor criminals to a horrible death without even stopping to consider the matter. Dany sacked a city – Lord of Light forbid! – of detestable slaveowners in order to get an army she could use to further her cause. The Fall of Astapor wasn't some terrible tragedy, it was a fist-pumping, triumphant moment in Dany's storyline. The same cannot be said for how Stannis burned starving criminals at the stake as they pleaded for mercy.

The difference between Dany and Stannis has always been that Dany acts on her best judgement, whereas Stannis acts, without question or hesitation, on what the law dictates. I find it truly odd that someone like that has garnered such a huge fanbase here.

In the articles that Severus posted:

“No one can control a dragon, not even their mother,” Jorah says, from his fixed position in the Friendzone.

Love that even in reviews Jorah cannot escape this.

How about this? Dany and Stannis are both equally despicable for burning people instead of thinking enough about alternative ways to punish them? In Dany's case it's her imperialist impulse to know better than everyone in a culture she does not know and she has boys of 13 killed just to make an example (yeah I'm so sure they all guilty, you probably don't need to check) and Stannis has people burned because he believes in his own awesomeness because some Red Witch told him he was Azor Ahai reborn so he can do no wrong? Ugh, lower than a leech for me. One might think he'd have enough sense to not believe everything people tell him. The guy deals out disproportionate punishments like candy. You can hang thieves, or decapitate them or imprison them. You don't have to make death excruciatingly painful and degarding.

How about this? Dany and Stannis are both equally despicable for burning people? In Dany's case it's her imperialist impulse to know better than everyone in a culture she does not know and she has boys of 13 killed just to make an example (yea and Stannis has people burned because he believes in his own awesomeness because some Red Witch told him he was Azor Ahai reborn? Ugh, lower than a leech for me. One might think he'd have enough sense to not believe everything people tell him. The guy deals out disproportionate punishments like candy.

Dany is against slavery, so she ends slavery wherever she can. How this makes her evil or despicable I'll never understand. Misguided? Yes. Immature? Definitely. A bad ruler? Probably. But a detestable villain? No, I don't think so. She's trying to do the right thing, and I am seriously worried about us if we're sympathizing with the slaveowners of Astapor and Yunkai more than we are with her. If you don't like Dany as a character, fine – I don't really either. But the idea that the sacking of Astapor and the conquering of Yunkai and Meereen were somehow horrible crimes against humanity…that's just biased hyperbole.

Not taking sides, but Stannis doesn't "believe everything people tell him". He didn't even believe at first. I'm not aware of anything he does being driven by a self-proclaimed sense of awesomeness, or caring that he's Azor Ahai Reborn. He's always been driven by a strict, immutable sense of the law (to a fault, no doubt).

Perhaps one day we'll see a discussion involving Stannis and Dany that doesn't involve either intentionally painting them as worse than they are through exaggeration or fabrication, or painting them as the Patron Saints of Awesome Radtown Coolness who can do no wrong. Seems a lot of those things 'round these parts.

How about this? Dany and Stannis are both equally despicable for burning people instead of thinking enough about alternative ways to punish them? In Dany's case it's her imperialist impulse to know better than everyone in a culture she does not know and she has boys of 13 killed just to make an example (yeah I'm so sure they all guilty, you probably don't need to check) and Stannis has people burned because he believes in his own awesomeness because some Red Witch told him he was Azor Ahai reborn so he can do no wrong? Ugh, lower than a leech for me. One might think he'd have enough sense to not believe everything people tell him. The guy deals out disproportionate punishments like candy. You can hang thieves, or decapitate them or imprison them. You don't have to make death excruciatingly painful and degarding.

I can understand this stand. If you give Stannis flak then do the same for Dany, if you don't, then don't do it either.

Archived