Women and children first

Guess who's back

Only history has shown us that it doesn't work that way. If you kill off shitloads of men, it's just as bad as if you kill off shitloads of women. While it's technically possible to "save" the species Margaret Atwood "Handmaiden" style with more women, reality != evopsych theory.

I'm probably latching onto the wrong point here but Phaing's point really has nothing to do with evolutionary psychology. Mate selection and polyamory are still some of the most heavily debated topics in evopsych. I get the impression that the only evopysch people on this board know is the shit published by guys like Satoshi Kanazawa. Which is basically the equivalent of learning about evolution from a creationist.

Evolutionary psychology is as the name suggest the study of how our psychology evolved and there's some really interesting study going on in that subject. But for some reason everyone seems to treat them like they're all on the same level as those stupid "why women shop" article you see in tabloids. Which would be like treating all doctors like idiots because of homeopaths.

This is still an issue?

Weird...

Which era of history? During, say, the 17th century, repeated pregnancies were seen as a blight, and people used to put their "extra" newborns they couldn't feed out in the forest to die as way to enforce some sort of birth control

I'm sorry, but none of the links lead me to anything directly related to your points.

And, if you'd rather die in one of those situations, I'm sure nobody will force you to a lifeboat. I sure won't.

But as for me, I like the old Chinese proverb that says;

"If you have to choose between doing something brave and something wise, do the brave thing."

And lets not take this one to extremes, too, Never said ALL men must die, just trying to explain my own priorities.

Women and children first, brave men last. No room for cowards on this life boat.

how did you get into the lifeboat?

He volunteered to do the rowing, perhaps?

I'm probably latching onto the wrong point here but Phaing's point really has nothing to do with evolutionary psychology. Mate selection and polyamory are still some of the most heavily debated topics in evopsych. I get the impression that the only evopysch people on this board know is the shit published by guys like Satoshi Kanazawa. Which is basically the equivalent of learning about evolution from a creationist.

Evolutionary psychology is as the name suggest the study of how our psychology evolved and there's some really interesting study going on in that subject. But for some reason everyone seems to treat them like they're all on the same level as those stupid "why women shop" article you see in tabloids. Which would be like treating all doctors like idiots because of homeopaths.

I feel like I dodged a bullet there...

No, I wasn't aiming at Evolutionary Psychology, and I won't have much to say if you start to get into it.... but please go ahead. Sounds as if you are well qualified to give us a little something on that.

Just be sure to use small words if you want literalists like me to keep up, ;)

This is still an issue?

Weird...

I'm sorry, but none of the links lead me to anything directly related to your points.

And, if you'd rather die in one of those situations, I'm sure nobody will force you to a lifeboat. I sure won't.

Are you asking me if I'd rather be saved before someone else because I am a woman?

My links lead to direct examples of where women were "saved" for life and men were not: ergo the same as a lifeboat scenario where women and children are "more precious" because species!!!

Probably there's a lot of non-peer reviewed crap that goes directly to tabloids like the sun.

Every single Evo-psych article I have seen linked have been of the nature that it needs to explain loads of modern occurrences by way of how people acted in hunter-gatherer societies, even sometimes as far as to go into "cave men", often to explain rape or the unquenchable male sexuality that cannot be controlled while completely disregarding social structures when convenient. Obviously, this is not a complete picture, but 99.9% so far has been tiresome and often with a lot of jumping to conclusions to reach an answer in line with their hypothesis.

Every single Evo-psych article I have seen linked have been of the nature that it needs to explain loads of modern occurrences by way of how people acted in hunter-gatherer societies, even sometimes as far as to go into "cave men", often to explain rape or the unquenchable male sexuality that cannot be controlled while completely disregarding social structures when convenient. Obviously, this is not a complete picture, but 99.9% so far has been tiresome and often with a lot of jumping to conclusions to reach an answer in line with their hypothesis.

Right, but even if it is natural how do we go from that to saying it is moral to do so ?

What if we changed the question. Could you personally jump ahead of women and children to get on a lifeboat if the ship you were traveling on was sinking?

I really don't know. If it were just me and my children I couldn't leave them alone. If it were me and my wife and my kids I don't see how I could jump in front of other families waiting to board.

Make any sense?

What if we changed the question. Could you personally jump ahead of women and children to get on a lifeboat if the ship you were traveling on was sinking?

I'd like to think I wouldn't, but who knows until they are in that situation.

Always know where the life jackets are.

Changed ?

I thought that was what people were arguing in favor of.... thus my reactions.

Going back to the real topic...

How many women and children would you need to build yourself a flotation device that would hold up an adult male? Assuming the average person has 90% of the density of ocean water, does that mean a 200 lb guy needs 2000 pounds of women and children to hold his body completely out of the water?

Archived