Women and children first

Guess who's back

What if we changed the question. Could you personally jump ahead of women and children to get on a lifeboat if the ship you were traveling on was sinking?

I really don't know. If it were just me and my children I couldn't leave them alone. If it were me and my wife and my kids I don't see how I could jump in front of other families waiting to board.

Make any sense?

I think the real question is whether you would jump ahead of men to get on a lifeboat, too.

I wouldn't jump ahead of anyone or push anyone out of the way, and I would generally go along with the group or captain accepted order, but once it was deemed my turn, I wouldn't give up my place once I had it except for a few potential very specific situations. I don't see my life as worth less than a random strangers, regardless of that strangers age or fertility. And I do see a lot of value in quickly taking your place in the accepted order and not slowing things down by trying to rearrange people according to my measure of their value.

I wouldn't jump ahead of anyone or push anyone out of the way, and I would generally go along with the group or captain accepted order, but once it was deemed my turn, I wouldn't give up my place once I had it except for a few potential very specific situations. I don't see my life as worth less than a random strangers, regardless of that strangers age or fertility. And I do see a lot of value in quickly taking your place in the accepted order and not slowing things down by trying to rearrange people according to my measure of their value.

Very well. But the real question is, madam, will you allow a man to hold the door open for you while you exit to the lifeboat, and whether you'd let a male occupant of the boat sit on the outside so that if there's a flying shark jumping out of the water he would be the first to go.

It is a sweeping generalization, but statistically while men are stronger, women are tougher. In any inhospitable wilderness survival situation, the men will tend to get further but then start dying first.

So if people are going to be in those lifeboats for any length of time, it makes statistical sense to fill them with women, because their chance of survival is higher.

It is a sweeping generalization, but statistically while men are stronger, women are tougher. In any inhospitable wilderness survival situation, the men will tend to get further but then start dying first.

So if people are going to be in those lifeboats for any length of time, it makes statistical sense to fill them with women, because their chance of survival is higher.

Citation?

I think the real question is whether you would jump ahead of men to get on a lifeboat, too.

That.

Also: it seems as if you don't answer your own question Scot. You set it up in such a way that you can dismiss the possibility of jumping in for other,altruistic reasons instead of just biting the bullet and saying that you'd jump or die.

Just you, Ser Scott: jump in front of women and children or men? No to both? No to the former? The latter?

Very well. But the real question is, madam, will you allow a man to hold the door open for you while you exit to the lifeboat, and whether you'd let a male occupant of the boat sit on the outside so that if there's a flying shark jumping out of the water he would be the first to go.

Yep, and who is more suited to survive a sharknado? Men, women, children or snakes?

Thanks for answering Ser Scot,

Castel,

Just me, I don't think I would jump ahead of families. But, thankfully, I've never been in those circumstances so I can't say with certainty.

But any random person and you'd jump? :dunno:

It's ironic, but that was the problem with the ferry disaster. The Captain gave an order to stay in the rooms which from when I got my boating license and any of the times I have been on a ferry/ship is the opposite of what the base instructions have been.

Would I jump ahead of someone in line? Probably not because getting off the ship in an orderly fashion is going to help more people, as an assumption. If the sirens are going off and people are going towards their rooms - then I guess in that case technically I would be jumping ahead because I'm not going to lock myself in a small box. I'm going to go to the place escape is possible.

Castel,

I don't think I'd jump ahead of anyone, but, I hope I would let families board first.

But that is just personal. What if there was a kid left on board and you could pull (force) a man or woman from the lifeboat and have the kid take their place?

But that is just personal. What if there was a kid left on board and you could pull (force) a man or woman from the lifeboat and have the kid take their place?

Could I physically? Probably.

Would I? No. It's one thing for me to put myself ahead of someone else, it's an entirely different ballgame to decided Person A deserves to live more than Person B. Might I chuck someone out of a boat to save myself? Possibly. if the ship is going down like a stone, maybe. If it is slowly going down, maybe not.

Treat it as a hypothetical if you would rather.

(But for a citation, ask any doctor. One indication of it is that women live longer than men,)

I'm aware of several reasons for the difference in life expectancy, this is not one of them.

Gnei,

No, but I would scowl and glare furiously at the other person. Be serious, fighting to remove them would put more lives at risk.

Not for nothing Scot, but that's about as intimidating as my son scowling at me while shaking his finger and going "No Papa No!" :)

Would you volunteer to be the person that gives up their place. I'd be pretty uncomfortable forcing someone to do something that I maybe wouldn't do myself.

I would rather have it "Children & at least one of their parents first" like people have already said before me

After all children are evacuated, if there are any life boats left for some of the remaining men and women, well...ever play musical chairs?

Archived