Are book readers too sadistic with those who only watch the show?

Well, there are no rules saying how one can or cannot spoil.

I wouldn't bring myself to spoil things for other people, and I am careful not to, because I would not want to be spoiled myself. Deliberately ruining someone elses experience is just sadistic and unempathic.

If you wan't to be a dick to other people, go ahead, noone is stopping you. It's not a very moral thing to do, though.

Although, I do hold the opinion that it's up to the reader to not put themselves in a position where they get spoiled. My brother accidentally picked up a dance with dragons yesterday and read the backside and got spoiled immensely. It would be absurd of him to blame me for having the books lying around.

That is differentiated, though, from walking up to him and saying "Hey Bro! Ned Stark is gonna get beheaded!"

And how long is the internet supposed to wait until someone reads the books or gets around to watching the TV show? Should the media withhold announcing the final score of the Superbowl for people who didn't see it in real time?

If someone can't watch the episode on time or hasn't bothered to read the books, it's on them to avoid the internet and other sources of spoilers, it's not my responsibility to cater to them and I have no obligation to do so. For the show my personal pages follow the East Coast feed rule, though if someone else mentions a show spoiler I don't mind, and the books are open season for discussion, including the novellas and teaser chapters for book 6 since they're all available and have been for some time. If someone doesn't like it, too damn bad.

^Yeah, I'd say you're right, but in terms of book spoilers for GOT it's a whole different story. The TV show is marketed primarily for those who haven't read the books, and just because someone is an entitled shithead who's read them doesn't give him/her the right to spoil future plot points.

And how long is the internet supposed to wait until someone reads the books or gets around to watching the TV show? Should the media withhold announcing the final score of the Superbowl for people who didn't see it in real time?

If someone can't watch the episode on time or hasn't bothered to read the books, it's on them to avoid the internet and other sources of spoilers, it's not my responsibility to cater to them and I have no obligation to do so. For the show my personal pages follow the East Coast feed rule, though if someone else mentions a show spoiler I don't mind, and the books are open season for discussion, including the novellas and teaser chapters for book 6 since they're all available and have been for some time. If someone doesn't like it, too damn bad.

I agree with most of the above. I completely understand that some folks have no desire to read the books but that doesn't offer a plausible excuse to squeal "NO SPOILERS!!!" as soon as they sign on to Facebook or wherever. Also...I cannot take someone seriously when they tell me they don't 'have the time' to read if they lay around on the couch for hours on end perusing through Netflix. Just admit that you're too lazy and I'm fine with it. I'm not an elitist but I absolutely agree that the source material has been available for years now so most of the information can't really be considered a true spoiler.

Guest Thorrand

I don't begrudge anyone not reading the books and only watching the show. If I had the chance to go back and not read them I absolutely would. Since aSoS progress has been excruciatingly slow and the payoff for the wait just isn't there.

Guest Thorrand

Absolutely off-topic Thorrand but...is that an 'Attack on Titan' avatar?

No it's from a manga/anime called 'Bleach' :)

Well, I agree with you in a certain way.

However, there is a difference between reading the books and discussing it online and being a complete asshole. For example, I was half-way through AFFC and stumbled upon this youtube comment, that listed the major deaths and important events. He even spoiled ADWD epilogue.

He wasn't discussing, wasn't talking to anyone, just being a dick and spoiling something in a video he knew there would be Unsullied fans. I also found the same guy later, spamming other videos with the same comment. I like to think he didn't read the books, only googled what was going to happen, simply to spoil. (he has a Donald Duck meme as a profile pic. If you find him, kill him and bring me his head)

If you want to discuss the story is fine, you are totally right to do so. A spoiler alert would be nice, but as long as you don't purposely mean to spoil the story for the others, I'm okay with that.

Reading is not for everyone and even if it is, A Song of Ice and Fire is not for everyone. It's one thing to enjoy a story in a visual medium and another to enjoy it in book form. Some people can find things easier to digest in a film/television medium but just can't get into the books. I know many people who LOVE The Lord of the Rings movies and Game of Thrones and are heavily invested in the films/shows. They've tried out the books but just couldn't get into them despite loving the show. They might not like the writing style or numerous songs or the names of places/people/objects in various different languages or the descriptions of bannermen. For whatever reason, they enjoy the story overall but can't get into the density of the story and all the details which is okay, I get that to an extent although I eat all that stuff up. Just because you're someone who enjoys reading, it doesn't give you an excuse to a pretentious superior know-it-all.

There are plenty of places on the Internet to discuss book spoilers without ruining it for someone else. It would be one thing if someone came to a YouTube video where the uploader says that they'll be discussing book spoilers and then takes offense, then it's a matter of "What the hell are you doing here so?!" It's another thing to go onto Game of Thrones HBO channel, find a promo for the next episode and write "Tyrion kills Shae and Tywin! Jon becomes Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Ygritte dies! Sam sticks his fat pink mast inside Gilly! Catelyn Stark comes back to life as Lady Stoneheart and starts killing Freys! Arya goes to Braavos and becomes a Faceless Man! Littlefinger marries Lysa, pushes her out the Moon Door and teaches Sansa how to play the game of thrones!" That's just rude and disrespectful and there's no need for it.

Guest Thorrand

Whose idea was it to call the non-book readers unsullied? That's pretty derogatory. Was non-readers too ambiguous?

No it's from a manga/anime called 'Bleach' :)

Fuck Naruto.

To OP,

I think Book readers can be sadistic offtimes. Show watchers are also too stupid sometimes and wander off in the places where they have been warned about spoilers but then moan about spoilers when they see or hear them.

I started to watch the show from this season and I'm just angry that unsullied :P have the wrong thoughts about characters. Thats it I don't like spoilers either :/

Most of the time they don't have wrong thoughts about the characters, it's just that they are far behind the books. It's unfair to expect them to like Jaime in season 1 already or be Stanstans before Stannis goes to the Wall, for instance. They react according to the most recent stage of the character development of each character in the show. That's why it's called character development.

Archived