Are book readers too sadistic with those who only watch the show?

I would NEVER spoil the show for someone who hasn't read the books. That's just incredibly, unnecessarily mean.

Last season, my younger brother was so into the show. It was fun watching with him since he hadn't read the books. My brother is dyslexic, and while he can read, a book series as complex and vast as these is far beyond his capabilities. Don't get me wrong, he's very intelligent and picks things up from the show so quickly it stuns me. But reading something this complicated, with words that often don't exist in the English language or make sense (particularly some of the names), is just not possible.

Last season, some jerk that used to be his friend announced the Red Wedding on Facebook, just to be an ass. When my brother complained, his friend-no-longer responded with the inevitable "you should've read the books."

I've never wanted to punch someone so bad in my life.

I would NEVER spoil the show for someone who hasn't read the books. That's just incredibly, unnecessarily mean.

Last season, my younger brother was so into the show. It was fun watching with him since he hadn't read the books. My brother is dyslexic, and while he can read, a book series as complex and vast as these is far beyond his capabilities. Don't get me wrong, he's very intelligent and picks things up from the show so quickly it stuns me. But reading something this complicated, with words that often don't exist in the English language or make sense (particularly some of the names), is just not possible.

Last season, some jerk that used to be his friend announced the Red Wedding on Facebook, just to be an ass. When my brother complained, his friend-no-longer responded with the inevitable "you should've read the books."

I've never wanted to punch someone so bad in my life.

Wow. That's terrible. Does this guy also go around telling paraplegics to get up?

Wow. That's terrible. Does this guy also go around telling paraplegics to get up?

Granted, dude didn't know my brother was dyslexic. But spoiling the show is an ass move, anyway. Goes to show: you never know WHY someone hasn't read the books. As much as my brother likes the show, I'm sure he would enjoy them if he could.

There's nothing worse than watching book readers flounder and kick and bite a show watcher into trying to like whatever remarkably unlikable character they like, or trying to get them to hate a character they like, using knowledge that they have from reading all 5 books.

They are incapable of viewing anything from the POV of an Unsullied person seeing the story for the first time, and forget that we're not at the part where your guy does something awesome.

I feel bad for what the Unsullied have to endure, thankfully a very minute percentage of them actually go on the Internet to read about and discuss the show.

There's nothing worse than watching book readers flounder and kick and bite a show watcher into trying to like whatever remarkably unlikable character they like, or trying to get them to hate a character they like, using knowledge that they have from reading all 5 books.

They are incapable of viewing anything from the POV of an Unsullied person seeing the story for the first time, and forget that we're not at the part where your guy does something awesome.

I feel bad for what the Unsullied have to endure, thankfully a very minute percentage of them actually go on the Internet to read about and discuss the show.

:lol: Being deemed 'Unsullied' disturbs a lot of the show watchers that I've spoken to. :P

:lol: Being deemed 'Unsullied' disturbs a lot of the show watchers that I've spoken to. :P

I don't like the term myself and don't use it even on this forum. It just sounds condescending, even if it's not meant that way.

It means that they haven't been sullied by spoilers. They don't really have to get their dicks cut off and kill puppies.

I do know what 'sullied' means ... but when you talk to someone who watches the shows only, and call them 'unsullied' to their faces, they tend to think you are comparing them to puppy/baby-killing murder machines.

True story! ;)

I don't like the term myself and don't use it even on this forum. It just sounds condescending, even if it's not meant that way.

:cheers:

Condescending? It's a term of endearment. We could call them Unspoiled but that means the exact same thing, and Unsullied has an in-universe connection.

Why anybody would think negatively of that is beyond my comprehension. I've never seen a single person anywhere complain about being called Unsullied. The only people I've seen complain about the term, bizarrely enough, are the people here who have read all the books.

Then again, complaining about stupid shit is pretty much par for the course with Wetblanketos.org

hmmm I thought Unsullied referred to the fact that they are, well, missing some of the pieces :lol:

I don't find it a bad thing, I was Unsullied and honestly didn't mind knowing that it referred to me. Though it does make me feel weird now, knowing that, since I have now read the books, I must be the opposite of Unsullied, ie. Sullied :shocked:

They've experienced nothing but warfare and martial training from a young age and nothing else. They are unsullied by the temptations, comforts, and emotions of the world, which make men "weak" according to the masters who raise and train them. Just as the TV-only viewers are unsullied by previous exposure to the story, bias, and the experience of endlessly bitching about the adaptation on the internet.

Condescending? It's a term of endearment. We could call them Unspoiled but that means the exact same thing, and Unsullied has an in-universe connection.

Why anybody would think negatively of that is beyond my comprehension. I've never seen a single person anywhere complain about being called Unsullied. The only people I've seen complain about the term, bizarrely enough, are the people here who have read all the books.

Then again, complaining about stupid shit is pretty much par for the course with Wetblanketos.org

I don't like the term because it creates a 'hierarchy' in fandom and separates 'this type of fan' from 'that type of fan'. There isn't a term used for the book readers...why are the non-book readers special in that regard? If you go around this site for any amount of time, you will find that some people don't use the term 'nicely'...they use it in a condescending fashion, as well as words like "show-apologists". I see no reason to label anyone at all in the first place.

In any case, 'Unsullied' isn't exactly an term of endearment in the story itself, so it's completely understandable why anyone would take offense to it.

That's why I don't like the term and refuse to use it.

Book readers is the term for book readers. Or as my UNSULLIED friends like to call us, Maesters. Nobody is creating a hierarchy, we're just differentiating so it's easier to compare the experience. This place is so devoid of fun sometimes.

I will however give you that the "PTV Unsullied" thread is chock full of condescending douchebaggery from people who want the Unsullied to feel exactly the same way they do, or to interpret a part of the story exactly the same way they do. I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing that stupid head-banging-the-wall gif when someone says something they don't agree with, or predicts that a character will do something based on what they know of said character up to this point in the story.

And "Unsullied" doesn't have to be a term of endearment within the story, it's just an in-story reference that happens to work as a synonym for unspoiled in real life.

Book readers is the term for book readers. Or as my UNSULLIED friends like to call us, Maesters. Nobody is creating a hierarchy, we're just differentiating so it's easier to compare the experience. This place is so devoid of fun sometimes.

I will however give you that the "PTV Unsullied" thread is chock full of condescending douchebaggery from people who want the Unsullied to feel exactly the same way they do, or to interpret a part of the story exactly the same way they do. I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing that stupid head-banging-the-wall gif when someone says something they don't agree with, or predicts that a character will do something based on what they know of said character up to this point in the story.

And "Unsullied" doesn't have to be a term of endearment within the story, it's just an in-story reference that happens to work as a synonym for unspoiled in real life.

I would also like to say that I do have a sense of humor...I just don't like labels of any sort.

This, I think, is the major fault in discussions between book readers and show watchers, particularly when it comes to characters like Jaime and Stannis, who start out unlikeable and become more likeable later on, or vice versa (e. g. Tyrion). Patience is a virtue, which many book readers seem to lack when it comes to show fans, despite having waited half a decade or more for a new book to come out. The Gods know why :dunno:

I don't like the term because it creates a 'hierarchy' in fandom and separates 'this type of fan' from 'that type of fan'. There isn't a term used for the book readers...why are the non-book readers special in that regard? If you go around this site for any amount of time, you will find that some people don't use the term 'nicely'...they use it in a condescending fashion, as well as words like "show-apologists". I see no reason to label anyone at all in the first place.

In any case, 'Unsullied' isn't exactly an term of endearment in the story itself, so it's completely understandable why anyone would take offense to it.

That's why I don't like the term and refuse to use it.

Actually, there is a term for book readers if you visit forums that are mostly show watchers only. It's "Book Walkers". I have hence adopted the following hierarchy (as seen in my signature):

Wight: zombie-like show watcher who doesn't even make an effort to follow the most simple story lines, constantly complains about spoilers but actively seeks out spoilerific forums and generally behaves more like a troll than a human being - kill it with fire (metaphorically speaking, no actual murderous intent here, "ignore functions" are a gift from the Gods)

Unsullied: show watcher who is unsullied by the knowledge from the books, but pays attention to what happens and tries to do his best to understand the series and its characters - should be treated with respect and kindness

Shooker: person who reads the books and watches the show and likes both almost equally, thus forming a healthy middle ground; does not necessarily care about every single detail in the books, but loves them nonetheless and has occasional gripes with the series - treat with respect and kindness

Book Walker: person who read the books before the show came out and greatly prefers the books to the show, while appreciating the show for what it's trying to do and is consequently nice to Unsullied (respects their opinions and does not spoiler them unless specifically asked to do so) - treat with respect and kindness

Michael: book reader who loves the books and seems to hate the show and cannot make three comments about the show without mentioning "character assassination", "butchery", "whitewashing" or "agency"; assumed to be the book readers' counterpart to the aforementioned wights - kill it with fire (see above)

Edited to remove typos

Yeah, I hated how many of the book-readers got annoyed at non-book readers for cheering for Danaerys or enjoying Danaerys' journey. Just because she might not have been that engaging in ADWD doesn't mean that everything prior to that was boring. Comments like "tell me that after Season 5" are super annoying- let people like who they like. D&D might even find a way to make her arc interesting and not devolve her character.

Actually, there is a term for book readers if you visit forums that are mostly show watchers only. It's "Book Walkers". I have hence adopted the following hierarchy (as seen in my signature):

Wight: zombie-like show watcher who doesn't even make an effort to follow the most simple story lines, constantly complains about spoilers but actively seeks out spoilerific forums and generally behaves more like a troll than a human being - kill it with fire (metaphorically speaking, no actual murderous intent here, "ignore functions" are a gift from the Gods)

Unsullied: show watcher who is unsullied by the knowledge from the books, but pays attention to what happens and tries to do his best to understand the series and its characters - should be treated with respect and kindness

Shooker: person who reads the books and watches the show and likes both almost equally, thus forming a healthy middle ground; does not necessarily care about every single detail in the books, but loves them nonetheless and has occasional gripes with the series - treat with respect and kindness

Book Walker: person who read the books before the show came out and greatly prefers the books to the show, while appreciating the show for what it's trying to do and is consequently nice to Unsullied (respects their opinions and does not spoiler them unless specifically asked to do so) - treat with respect and kindness

Michael: book reader who loves the books and seems to hate the show and cannot make three comments about the show without mentioning "character assassination", "butchery", "whitewashing" or "agency"; assumed to be the book readers' counterpart to the aforementioned wights - kill it with fire (see above)

Edited to remove typos

You had me until that last one. I'm afraid I don't get the reference.

I guess I'm a Book Walker by that hierarchy.

Archived