Are book readers too sadistic with those who only watch the show?

It's attitudes like this - and the reverse opinion form die hard book fans - that put people off the show & the books. Obsessing over either the books or the show individually or being fanatic about both while looking down on everyone else who does/doesn't doesn't make you a fan. It makes you a prat.

Whether unsullied or hardcore book lover, neither is any less valid when they say they are a fan. Just different.

^THIS.

The unsullied are strange people, they are obsessed enough to discuss stuff to no end in a forum, but not enough to read the GD books.

...so? How is that any stranger than reading the GD books, going onto a forum and discussing stuff to no end?

The unsullied are strange people, they are obsessed enough to discuss stuff to no end in a forum, but not enough to read the GD books.

The same can be said about Dexter fans or Hannibal fans. Oodles of folk watching those tv shows haven't read the books, but are fanatical about the show/story/characters nonetheless.

...and what is so damn funny is...

Everyone who actually reads the books (myself included, before the series) will be the unsullied before long. If GRRM ever bothers to get another book published, the series will still be over long before the written version is available. We have already seen a few details not available to book readers revealed in the series, brace for more, and more, and more, and more. Shoe, meet other foot...

I very much enjoy watching/discussing the show with friends and family who haven't read the books, and only reveal anything slightly spoiler-ish if they say they don't mind. I can't understand why anyone but the most heinous of trolls would get enjoyment out of ruining someone's experience of a freakin' television show. That said, it can be pretty funny to hear/read some uninformed viewer's predictions regarding what's coming (and also quite impressive to see how close some other people actually are to the truth).

...and what is so damn funny is...

Everyone who actually reads the books (myself included, before the series) will be the unsullied before long. If GRRM ever bothers to get another book published, the series will still be over long before the written version is available. We have already seen a few details not available to book readers revealed in the series, brace for more, and more, and more, and more. Shoe, meet other foot...

Or the showrunners are just making stuff up. They've made stuff up every season. Some of it's minor. Some of it is pretty significant. I expect the show to deviate in very significant ways if it catches up to GRRM. It already has and they haven't even caught up yet. I highly doubt unpublished material will actually enter the show. That would be bad for everyone.

I fully admit I'm a spoiler. While I was unsullied I'd ask my mum questions about the books to try to know the story in advance but could not be bothered committing to such a long series (which is still not finished) when I can hardly find time to read them... but she bought me the books instead. I had no choice... I had to start (and funnily enough once I started I managed to find time to read all 5 books in about 7 weeks).

But now if I'm asked I'll tell unless I think it will ruin it too much. I'll also say "are you sure you want to know?" My unsullied hubby knows most things and he threatened to ruin it for his mates when they were annoying him about something completely different. But that's the difference. When I was asked "Is Joffery going soon?" My response was "yes" "who kills him?" "That's too complicated and too spoilerish you will have to try to figure it out yourself." I don't go around and say "hey guess what everyone (plot of the rest of the written books)....."

I would like to think I have just the right amount of spoilage. However I did get very angry and upset at the end of ADWD and when hubby asked what was wrong I let slip about Jon... that was mean of me but hey I thought one of my faves was gone forever :(

I am also one of those people who tell unsullied to just read the books already when they are constantly asking about whats next

I think that spoilers are being handled much better this season than they were last. I remember going on comment section of any website covering the show, and seeing the Red Wedding mentioned all over them. Mods are much better at avoiding that now.

However, people on Youtube are still as bad as before, spoiling even the smallest things that are coming, being hostile towards the Unsullied and complaining about some filler material not being in the show. I myself don't mind spoilers- halfway through A Game of Thrones, I'd learned about Ned's death and looked up the Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, Oberyn vs the Mountain, etc. Even when Dance came out, I'd gone ahead and read about Jon's death and Dany's flight on this forum during the process of reading it. However, I don't expect that everyone feels that way, and I'd never spoil something unless someone really wants to know.

I don't get people who just go on forums and spoil stuff- it doesn't make sense and is extremely inconsiderate :/ Some book readers just don't realize that some people are extremely passionate about the show, and want to get the maximum enjoyment out of the TV medium as possible. I've seen people on Youtube and FB who get angry over the fact that an Unsullied is excited to see what happens in the next episode. WTH, why? I'm excited too :dunno:

Or the showrunners are just making stuff up. They've made stuff up every season. Some of it's minor. Some of it is pretty significant. I expect the show to deviate in very significant ways if it catches up to GRRM. It already has and they haven't even caught up yet. I highly doubt unpublished material will actually enter the show. That would be bad for everyone.

:agree:

I am very weary of this site as an "unsullied". I don't want to know what comes in the future but I like hearing about the stuff I already witnessed. Example. After I watched Red Wedding for the first time I was floored and had to come on this site which I found to get more insight. Many threads I read had caveats from the book saying Kat Stark noticed the band was playing very poorly and it turned out because they were soldiers. I like reading about stuff in hindsight but the best way to watch this show at least for me is not knowing too much about it.

Last year on this very site I almost had the Purple Wedding spoiled but I didn't think it would happen the way it did and the outcome was not very clear to me (so glad I stopped reading when I saw the first post). That episode was still a surprise to me and that is why I love this show so much. Some things are still obvious of course, like Sam and the whole finding dragonglass thing when episode 304 hit last season. Most things are still very much surprising and I wouldn't want it any other way.

So yes I could stay away from this site or any site altogether but like I said before, I like the extra insight. Just my two cents.

Ridiculous. D&D already know the ending and the fates of the characters as well as their path. The series will end well, well, well before the last book is released. We may even start getting tWoW in the show before the book is released depending on when GRRM finishes.

There's nothing at all limiting the showrunners from using unpublished content. Some might argue they already have with a certain scene basically being the equivalent of the latest tWoW sample chapter.

Ridiculous. D&D already know the ending and the fates of the characters as well as their path. The series will end well, well, well before the last book is released. We may even start getting tWoW in the show before the book is released depending on when GRRM finishes.

There's nothing at all limiting the showrunners from using unpublished content. Some might argue they already have with a certain scene basically being the equivalent of the latest tWoW sample chapter.

There's nothing ridiculous about what I said at all. There's nothing stopping the showrunners from using unpublished content but it doesn't mean they will use it. If anything, there's overwhelming evidence that they'll probably be deviating a lot between now and the end of the show. Why? Because they already have been deviating significantly.

The white walker baby conversion is a winds of winter scene I'm pretty sure.

David Benioff said in the "Inside the Episode" featurette on the Game of Thrones YouTube channel that that scene was "suggested by the books" (see the Night's Watch mutiny chapter in ASOS when Sam is fleeing with Gilly) but not actually in them. I suppose they could be lying but everything they say about that scene in that short behind the scenes clip suggests that they invented the material for the show to help give the plot with the Others some forward momentum.

But you think it a even less ridiculous idea that the show is going to show us the endings for ever major character before the books do? Do you think George actually thinks so little of us books fans this will happen? You know the fans who have been waiting YEARS for George to finish his work, just to only find out a show is going to spoil it all for us. Not to mention a man who has spent almost 20 years, slaving over his work just to allow some hacks like D&D to take all the glory away from him? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But you think it a even less ridiculous idea that the show is going to show us the endings for ever major character before the books do? Do you think George actually thinks so little of us books fans this will happen? You know the fans who have been waiting YEARS for George to finish his work, just to only find out a show is going to spoil it all for us. Not to mention a man who has spent almost 20 years, slaving over his work just to allow some hacks like D&D to take all the glory away from him? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, because he has already signed the rights of his series away. It has nothing to do with "glory," don't kid yourself. HBO has just as much right to use the content of ASoIaF as George does now. Edited form it may be, don't kid yourself in thinking the story is going to completely deviate from the books. The very thought is silly.

Yes, because he has already signed the rights of his series away. It has nothing to do with "glory," don't kid yourself. HBO has just as much right to use the content of ASoIaF as George does now. Edited form it may be, don't kid yourself in thinking the story is going to completely deviate from the books. The very thought is silly.

You're really jumping to conclusions about what D&D have planned. All we can do is speculate at this point but completely dismissing the idea that they won't deviate is pretty silly in and of itself. There's overwhelming evidence in the first 3.5 seasons that not only will they possibly deviate but they will deviate.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but from all I've read, Mr. Martin does contribute a bit to the show and the characters. He's already admitted that he won't be done before HBO is. It's up to him to decide how much information he wants the the showrunners to know.

He's been quite busy with others works (books, editing books, Cons, interviews) for the last few years, and from what's been released in his Not a Blog, he's still busy. So, if the show finishes the story first, we can only hope that it is done with his blessing.

The sad part is, book readers got spoiled a few episodes ago. I love both. It would be a shame to not watch the show. Being spoiled by something that hasn't been published yet is worse I think.

Was that scene really that big of a deal? I mean, it only confirms things that most people on the site had guessed ages ago. That doesn't really affect much.

It is not a ridiculous idea. At this point, the show is much better at handling the material than GRRM has been in the last 13 years. D&D are not hacks- they and HBO paid for the rights to adapt it (making GRRM famous in the process), and are doing a spectacular job adapting it. Their is so much to adapt that GRRM himself called it impossible, yet they have been more faithful than almost any other adaptation I've ever seen. It is no one but GRRM's fault if the story is finished by the show first- he should have considered that and written a little faster than this glacial pace when he sold the rights in 2007.

Archived