Are book readers too sadistic with those who only watch the show?

Most of the time they don't have wrong thoughts about the characters, it's just that they are far behind the books. It's unfair to expect them to like Jaime in season 1 already or be Stanstans before Stannis goes to the Wall, for instance. They react according to the most recent stage of the character development of each character in the show. That's why it's called character development.

I was unsullied through the first 2 seasons of the show. I'm not sure I disliked Jaime during Season 1, but I definitely remember liking him (or at least feeling like I understood him) in Season 2 when Cat visits him as a prisoner.

Both Jaime and Sandor (who I definitely liked long before I was supposed to thanks to "I'm no ser") didn't commit indiscriminate bad acts as much as they were willing to commit bad acts as their circumstances dictated. Jaime could have lied to Cat, but he was actually as honest as he could have been. I think by the Westerosi moral code they both came across to me as "honorable in their own way" even before reading the books.

Now, of course, I have no freaking clue what's going on with either one considering they're robbing and raping their way through the countryside. WTF D&D... What The Fing F...

Right? It's sad that i still see this at the fourth season. =(

I see some real crackpot theories from show watchers too...

Yea I got a buddy who won't even try to theorize ahead because he doesn't want to spoil it for himself. Won't ever let me give him background info either, because it could be spoilers :rolleyes:

If you're reading this Senati, yes it's that same putz from before.

Guest Thorrand

Why, are you offended? Christ, the pathetic world we live in.

As offended as you'd be if those who only watched the show referred to people who read as nerds. I watched the lord of the rings, couldn't slog through the books. This doesn't make me an Orc :P Calling them unsullied is calling them castrated slaves, yeah it's pretty derogatory.

As offended as you'd be if those who only watched the show referred to people who read as nerds. I watched the lord of the rings, couldn't slog through the books. This doesn't make me an Orc :P Calling them unsullied is calling them castrated slaves, yeah it's pretty derogatory.

Well I wouldn't say it doesn't make you an orc :leaving:

Unsullied = Not stained or tarnished.

It is not derogatory at all.

I am listening to an unsullied podcaster, and he spent like 5 minutes talking about how glorious it was that smug bookreaders got their heads spun with this episode for once and how he wished people had been there to record their reactions. A pretty good indication of how show watchers see bookreaders.

I am listening to an unsullied podcaster, and he spent like 5 minutes talking about how glorious it was that smug bookreaders got their heads spun with this episode for once and how he wished people had been there to record their reactions. A pretty good indication of how show watchers see bookreaders.

It'd have been pretty boring. My reaction was "Wonder where that WW is taking the baby?" followed up by "Oh that's how WWs are created."

Of the people who I know who watch and read, the supposed reaction was almost non-existent. It was more like "Man that WW guy looked creepy."

It's attitudes like this - and the reverse opinion form die hard book fans - that put people off the show & the books. Obsessing over either the books or the show individually or being fanatic about both while looking down on everyone else who does/doesn't doesn't make you a fan. It makes you a prat.

Whether unsullied or hardcore book lover, neither is any less valid when they say they are a fan. Just different.

I read the books two years before the pilot aired, so I am totally a book fan that also appreciates the show.

Sometimes friends get annoyed with me, because I get very enthusiastic while talking about series I love and sometimes I let slip spoilers by accident. That said though, I detest those smartasses who inevitably reply to GoT related Facebook posts writing stuff like "Joffrey dies next week" or "X gets killed at the end of season 4 by Y". That's just moronic. To be honest, if I were among those Unsullied who got the RW spoiled this way I could not wait for the show to overtake the book and get my revenge.

On the other end though I get annoyed by people who complains on social media that a certain scene has been "spoiled" a week after the related episode has aired. I mean, a week is a more than a reasonable time to wait to discuss an episode in your personal Facebook page, if people are so concerned about it they could easily look for a filter or something.

I read the books two years before the pilot aired, so I am totally a book fan that also appreciates the show.

Sometimes friends get annoyed with me, because I get very enthusiastic while talking about series I love and sometimes I let slip spoilers by accident. That said though, I detest those smartasses who inevitably reply to GoT related Facebook posts writing stuff like "Joffrey dies next week" or "X gets killed at the end of season 4 by Y". That's just moronic. To be honest, if I were among those Unsullied who got the RW spoiled this way I could not wait for the show to overtake the book and get my revenge.

On the other end though I get annoyed by people who complains on social media that a certain scene has been "spoiled" a week after the related episode has aired. I mean, a week is a more than a reasonable time to wait to discuss an episode in your personal Facebook page, if people are so concerned about it they could easily look for a filter or something.

This.

Now, I understand the old adage "to each his/her own," but if you're only watching the show for gotcha moments and surprise, you're doing it wrong. Literally. No way those people stick with it till the end. They'll be confused midway through season 5 because there is too much going on, they won't understand the context.

That's why I get frustrated with people who completely spaz over "spoilers" that won't even register in their brain when they see it on the screen, but was actually a powerful moment. I'd rather understand the context then be surprised by every little thing.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the WW scene at the end of "Oathkeeper," that was really cool and I had no idea what was gonna happen.

I love CollegeHumor, and this particular vid. :lol: at 'Lori Grimes' statement about revenge spoiling ...

Whose idea was it to call the non-book readers unsullied? That's pretty derogatory. Was non-readers too ambiguous?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who scratches my head at the idea of associating non-book readers with puppy/child-killing murder machines.

That people are finding time to discuss the 'spoilers' thing; here and elsewhere http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/spoilers/30167/game-of-thrones-spoilers-and-good-manners for example - is welcome. Going through comments on certain sites can be very disheartening when reading the posts of someone blatantly vitriolic towards the show or the books, especially when they state quite clearly that they'll be posting spoilers, and no-one seems to have the power to delete their posts.

My worst spoilery moment came after clicking onto a supposed review of the last Star Trek movie, when one word came up as the opening sentence. Needless to say, the movie was spoiled for me even though I backed out of the site before reading any more, but my husband, being a fan of the new version of Star Trek wanted to see it. I didn't tell him of what I'd read, and his reaction was much stronger than mine when that 'word' came up.

The only good thing that came from being spoiled was that I didn't leave the theatre as enraged as he was. :P

I only hate the retards that call Dany Khaleesi... at this point it's kinda of sad after four seasons... i'd have to question intlligence

The thing about naming girls Khaleesi reached Brazil. There were news about a baby named that a couple of weeks ago. And it sounds weirder in Portuguese than it does in English. Specially since most people would probably have a hard time pronouncing it if they didn't realize it's supposed to be in "English" dothraki.

I pretty much agree with everyone stating that book readers that go out of their way to spoil show watchers are complete and utter assholes. There's just no excuse for being a dick to people you know likely haven't read the books. I wouldn't want people to spoil The Winds of Winter if I'm not able to read it immediately after it's released (a very unlikely scenario but still) and I think the same courtesy should be extended to show watchers.

I personally refuse to give away major plot points to friends and family that just watch the show. I'm more than willing to give them some background info if they want something clarified or request more information.

On the other hand, if you haven't read the books and are just watching the show, there are steps you can personally take to try to avoid spoilers. People that don't take steps to prevent themselves from being spoiled (e.g., they read every single YouTube comment for HBO promos) are pretty much just asking for trouble. I'm not justifying people posting major spoilers without warning (they're still inconsiderate assholes) but if you know that kind of thing is being done, don't read the freaking comments for promos or articles and then complain about being spoiled.

I think show fans and book fans should just be more respectful towards each other. I know that's easier said than done but it has to start somewhere. I'm just as annoyed with book fans bashing show watchers as I am with show watchers bashing book fans. It's stupid. We all love GRRM's universe, whether it be in written form or the TV adaptation. There's no need to be rude or condescending to people simply because they happen to enjoy it in a manner we don't prefer.

I love both the books and the show and I have a lot of fun watching show only watchers react to things and theorize about what'll happen next. I kind of feel like I'm discovering this series again for the first time. I love it. :)

I only hate the retards that call Dany Khaleesi... at this point it's kinda of sad after four seasons... i'd have to question intlligence

That annoys me so much hahaha. I correct that as much as possible.

Well I wouldn't say it doesn't make you an orc :leaving:

Hah!

I think some book readers may be too sadistic, but then some Unsullied are just as bad like out of the blue someone might say something like, "SCREW THE BOOKS!" for no good reason other than stirring things.

There ARE nice people who read the books and don't spoil stuff and nice people who respect the books but just don't read them for a number of possible reasons which is cool. The sadistic people and the stirrers are just "louder" or have more thumbs up on their comments or whatever, unfortunately.

Archived