Are book readers too sadistic with those who only watch the show?

In the books, LittleFinger is a conniving genius and Sansa is a brainless moron. In the show, LittleFinger was a conniving genius and Sansa was a brainless bird, until this episode when Sansa suddenly became an evil genius and LittleFinger turned into a brainless moron. Regardless of whether you like it (and it eludes me why anyone would, book reader or not), it is a significant change that doesn't directly affect any "big moments" (at this point).

Jeez, try telling that to Le Cygne and Colonel Green…there's a whole lot more to their characterization than that.

In the books, LittleFinger is a conniving genius and Sansa is a brainless moron.

I am not sure really. I think we miss a lot of what is happening in Sansas head because we spend so much time in Alaynes head, I felt like Alayne was hiding Sansas thoughts from us, so I think there could be a lot more going on with her than we realise as readers. With the show rushing her story and giving her reveal now, basically removing Alayne from the story early, we may be seeing Sansa as she really is, or will be in WoW.

The reason you don't understand is because you think that preservation of "big moments" is an appropriate barometer.

Yes, ripping out Marillion's tongue in Season 1 doesn't compare to... say... sparing Ned's life. But it does create issues which then need to be resolved, namely it would be difficult to torture him into confessing to Lysa's murder, therefore the writers had to come up with an alternative: now show!Sansa is suddenly an evil-genius who possesses deceptive abilities and cunning we've already established she doesn't have.

we have ?

we have ?

"I don't want someone brave and gentle and strong! I want him!"

"She's with her dancing master. She's with him every morning. She always comes back with scrapes and bruises. She's so clumsy."

"Look around you, we're all liars here, and every one of us is better than you."

She's not smart enough to realize that...

...Loras is gay

...Cersei is manipulating her and exploiting Ned's death by having her write to Robb (and basically every time they interact)

...Olenna is manipulating her (or more specifically, her necklace) at the RW

...Olenna and Margaery are manipulating her basically every time they interact

...Petyr is clearly obsessed with her

...things are never going to end well for her in KL yet she passes up multiple opportunities to leave

That's just off the top of my head. Other than Lord Robin, Hodor, and Rickon, is there anyone in the entire series who has been shown to be more clueless in basically every facet of life (people, politics, reality, problem solving, general intelligence) than Sansa?

The only time I don't absolutely hate people for spoiling things is if they do it to people who are being a complete shithead to other people in the conversation or when somebody is being stupidly bullheaded about the story not going the way they want it to.

I really hate people who bitch about the story because they're too used to how TV is "supposed" to work, and refuse to adjust their expectations or the way they think about the story.

I don't do it personally, but I always laugh when someone gets fed up with their bullshit and spoils them on all the remaining story lines, and then they get enraged about it.

The only time I don't absolutely hate people for spoiling things is if they do it to people who are being a complete shithead to other people in the conversation or when somebody is being stupidly bullheaded about the story not going the way they want it to.

I really hate people who bitch about the story because they're too used to how TV is "supposed" to work, and refuse to adjust their expectations or the way they think about the story.

*cough* Larry Williams *cough cough*

Those that spoil have a limited amount of time left for doing so. After next season, us book readers and those that only watch the show will be on the same field. Personally, I can't wait. I'm ready to find out what happens

The show is going to be at the start of AFFC and the books are past ADwD, with the outside chance that the next book will have been released.

I actually think show watchers have it worse in some ways.

HBO develops fewer secondary characters and kills more of them. This makes the show barren compared to the books. When someone dies in the books, there's still this huge cast of primary, secondary, etc. characters to enjoy. On the show, it's a much greater loss.

:rofl:

Thanks for the link! I love College Humor for skits like this one.

I don't watch the show with friends, but I can only imagine their reactions. I'd be too engrossed to pay attention to them, anyways. :lol:

Archived