Are book readers too sadistic with those who only watch the show?

Michael is a reference to the comments section of the following article. Its glorious:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/game-of-thrones-draws-7-2-million-viewers-on-sunday-silicon-valley-veep-hit-highs/

Since I there was no feedback from that link by Michael that I could see, I found the inclusion of his (her?) name perplexing. Were you to have named the last one as 'AngryGoTFan' from Winter is Coming twitter recaps of episodes: http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/21/twitterbird-mockingbird-retweeted/ however, I would've given you kudos.

I did search for posts from Michael just to check out what he had to say, but couldn't find anything to satisfy my curiousity. :(

Sorry, but that's the dumbest argument I think I've ever heard. As if people have no excuse not to have read a series of obscure fantasy novels before they were adapted into a popular HBO show.

I usually turn my friends away from wild predictions (e.g "Khaleesi's coming to Westeros this season!" or "Arya's totally gonna ride in and kill Joffrey!") by bringing them down to earth with the realities of what's going on in the plot at the moment, but I don't really give them any pointed clues or hype up certain plot elements: I like them to experience the story with an unbiased perspective.

I am the same way with my friends but one of them decided to skip the books and read the wikipedia articles. He will then claim that reading the wikipedia is just as good, but at the same time ask me to fill in plotholes that he missed on wikipedia...i have been pretty patient with this but my patience is wearing thin...fyi the piece he failed to notice on wikipedia was if oberyn wins or not

I am the same way with my friends but one of them decided to skip the books and read the wikipedia articles. He will then claim that reading the wikipedia is just as good, but at the same time ask me to fill in plotholes that he missed on wikipedia...i have been pretty patient with this but my patience is wearing thin...fyi the piece he failed to notice on wikipedia was if oberyn wins or not

hahaha, I know people like this. They will research something in a very superficial manner, and then pretend to speak with authority on it.

Since I there was no feedback from that link by Michael that I could see, I found the inclusion of his (her?) name perplexing. Were you to have named the last one as 'AngryGoTFan' from Winter is Coming twitter recaps of episodes: http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/21/twitterbird-mockingbird-retweeted/ however, I would've given you kudos.

I did search for posts from Michael just to check out what he had to say, but couldn't find anything to satisfy my curiousity. :(

Yeah, I'm still not getting the reference even after looking at the link. Glad I'm not the only one completely lost. I suppose that poster's comments could have been deleted.

Do you think you could clarify what you mean, Seneti? 'Cause I'm still confused. The rest of your hierarchy is great, though.

definitely, to tell my story, I was a show watcher not too long ago, I read some of the first book after a few eps of season 1, second book around the end of season 1, didnt get too far into either and that was it, eventually little things here and there got spoiled, and then eventually big things got spoiled(a few deaths here and there whatever)

So around the time the Purple Wedding episode aired, school was pretty much over and I had just quit my job because my car was fucked, so I decided to put that free time to use and read the books, from whenever the purple wedding aired to about maybe 2 and a half weeks I ago, I read the entire series, just sitting on my bed, listening to Lustmord albums and reading chapters back to back to back, now that i'm done with the books I would never ever ever spoil it for someone. I do recommend to most people that they should read the books because its the easiest way to avoid spoilers and honestly having read the books, I like them better than the show but to be a dick and say "oh you shouldnt be mad that I gave up this huge thing read the books" is a pretty lame thing to do

With all that being said, I feel like a god with these new powers and vision into the GoT's future

Yeah, I'm still not getting the reference even after looking at the link. Glad I'm not the only one completely lost. I suppose that poster's comments could have been deleted.

Do you think you could clarify what you mean, Seneti? 'Cause I'm still confused. The rest of your hierarchy is great, though.

The very first comment is by Michael then nearly every other comment is in response to Michael..... things like

Now that Michael has stopped watching, the program has become much more enjoyable. And as a book reader, I enjoy the new stuff, gives something to be excited about.

To be honest Michaels comment wasn't that bad, nothing like I have seen by some book readers in any book vs TV/Movie setting. So I am not sure why its being used in the hierarchy.

The very first comment is by Michael then nearly every other comment is in response to Michael..... things like

To be honest Michaels comment wasn't that bad, nothing like I have seen by some book readers in any book vs TV/Movie setting. So I am not sure why its being used in the hierarchy.

I saw his first post ... bad direction, bad editing, bad storyline etc. etc.

What I was looking for was something in his post that compared the book-reading fannism (weird new word) to the show fannism. Didn't see anything that enlightened me in the comments following 'Michael's'.

AngryGoTFan, on the other hand, is well versed bookwise, and makes his (her?) opinions heard! Likeable or no, one cannot ignore the hashtag NoOneUnderstands! :lol:

I saw his first post ... bad direction, bad editing, bad storyline etc. etc.

What I was looking for was something in his post that compared the book-reading fannism (weird new word) to the show fannism. Didn't see anything that enlightened me in the comments following 'Michael's'.

AngryGoTFan, on the other hand, is well versed bookwise, and makes his (her?) opinions heard! Likeable or no, one cannot ignore the hashtag NoOneUnderstands! :lol:

okay yep, AngryGoTFan is pretty amusing.... :tantrum: NOONEUNDERSTAAANDS :lol:

Sounds really annoying. I stand by what I said earlier, but I hate it when people equate reading the novels with reading summaries of the novels as if reading is somehow a lesser entertainment form no matter how you experience it.

LOL that link is awesome. I love the enthusiasm and fandom of the GOT fans, they're having so much fun week in and week out.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the miserable shitbird crew that is the book purist crowd just a little bit more, for no reason other than the hilarious wet blanket entertainment that they provide every week.

I seriously hope they change every single detail or line that the book readers have weirdly clung to for all these years, just to see the Internet flooded with nerd tears.

LOL that link is awesome. I love the enthusiasm and fandom of the GOT fans, they're having so much fun week in and week out.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the miserable shitbird crew that is the book purist crowd just a little bit more, for no reason other than the hilarious wet blanket entertainment that they provide every week.

I seriously hope they change every single detail or line that the book readers have weirdly clung to for all these years, just to see the Internet flooded with nerd tears.

Can just imagine it now.

"Hasta la vista...Lord Tywin."

I saw the first comment and the responses to it, but I've seen far worse comments from people that hate everything about the show on other sites, too. So I guess the comment didn't really strike me as being that bad. It doesn't seem representative of the group of fans described in the hierarchy. Hence the confusion about its inclusion in an otherwise reasonable list that uses ASOIAF lore to describe the different types of fans (well except for book walker but that's still based on white walker).

I agree with you guys that the other fan mentioned is far more appropriate. So much drama!

I try to stay as far the f*** away from Tumbler as I possibly can since I'm one of those people who usually reads EVERY comment, so if I were to read Twitter feeds or Tumbler I'd be in front of my laptop 24/7, but now that you pointed it out - yeah, AngryGoTFan is priceless :)

The very first comment on that article:

Game of Thrones has lost me as a viewer. Too much is being added for the show this season that wasn’t in the books and this is causing serious problem with character development and consistency. Not to mention the quality of directing and editing is awful. Yes, I know, everyone disagrees with me on all these points and I could spend all day defending my opinion only to have to endure endless personal attacks until the next episode airs. The fact is still that I no longer enjoy the show and have stopped watching.

This is still very tame. I think there was more to the original article, though (either that, or my memory is screwing with me).

So, how about we compromise?

---

Edit done. Thanks for all the positive comments on my hierarchy :)

Considering how many changes have been made to the story by the scriptwriters, I actually view the books and tv series as separate forms of entertainment. I'm more of a purist when it comes to historical productions, but given that this is fantasy, it really doesn't bother me whether it is faithful to the written word or not. As a matter of fact, some story lines and characters have been improved by the scriptwriters of the show.

Archived