[Book Spoilers] R+L=J and other theories on HBO

Suzanna Stormborn

Robert: Your's was, uh... Elina, no, uh... you told me once. Meryl? Your bastards mother...

Ned: Wylla.

Robert: That's it. She must have been a rare wench to make Lord Eddard Stark forget his honor. You never told me what she looked like.

Ned: Nor will I.

Cersei (speaking of Lyanna) : What was she like ?

Robert: You want to know the horrible truth ? I don't even remember what she looked like.

I just noticed that.

Very interesting interview with Michelle MacLaren.

It's exciting to see where they are going to go moving beyond the books, which is starting to happen more and more

Me thinks this season's gasp moments are not over ;)

Talking of future excursions, I was wondering how the thematic leitmotiv of the upcoming episode (First of his name) relates to Jon's arc and specifically to the scene at Craster's Keep. Keep on having a nagging foreboding about that...

Possible hint to Jon's parentage mystery in last episode:

Locke says "bastard eh? I took you for highborn"

Jon says "my father was highborn... My mother ...[pause, and then speaking much quieter] ...wasnt"

Subtle, but tone of the scene seemed to just point again towards the issue.

In this week's episode we got two interesting bits of foreshadowing.

First, when Bran and Meera ask how it will all end. Jojen sees his hand on fire. Will the war then end in fire?

Second, when speaking to Karl, Jojen tells him that he saw snow falling on him and burring his bones. This is a good tie in with the HOTU vision of snow falling on the throne.

In this week's episode we got two interesting bits of foreshadowing.

First, when Bran and Meera ask how it will all end. Jojen sees his hand on fire. Will the war then end in fire?

Second, when speaking to Karl, Jojen tells him that he saw snow falling on him and burring his bones. This is a good tie in with the HOTU vision of snow falling on the throne.

Agreed, first fire, then ice.

Another speculation that was foreshadowed/clarified. The Lannisters are stone broke and the war hasn't helped. The Tyrells may be in better shape, but probably not for long.

A lot of people are apparently taking this to mean that Jojen will die by fire, but I don't interpret it that way at all. I immediately thought he was talking about the series as a whole, which makes sense if we believe that Dany's dragons are going to eventually come to the Wall and rain fire down on the WW's wight army.

A lot of people are apparently taking this to mean that Jojen will die by fire, but I don't interpret it that way at all. I immediately thought he was talking about the series as a whole, which makes sense if we believe that Dany's dragons are going to eventually come to the Wall and rain fire down on the WW's wight army.

Honestly, that's how I saw it. I also noticed something else.

Last week the episode ended with one of Craster's son being turned into a Wights. This week's episode ends with Craster's Keep being burned to the ground.

IMHO, I don't think that's a coincidence.

And very much in line with GRRM's recurrent symbolism and wordplay Snow/snow.

Though, surely if R+L=J and J =Targ not Sand, then Snow shouldn't figuratively refer to him anymore?

There's nature and nurture. Snow is what has defined his identity... so far. The wordplay is all the sweeter:

"Kings are a rare sight in the north." Robert snorted. "More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow Ned!"

There's nature and nurture. Snow is what has defined his identity... so far. The wordplay is all the sweeter:

"Kings are a rare sight in the north." Robert snorted. "More likely they were hiding under the snow. Snow Ned!"

Yes I agree the Snow comments was 100% in reference to Jon. Just like int he last episode where Baelish says he has a new friendship that's 'growing strong' in reference to the Tyrells. The show is not a subtle as the books, most of the time the most obvious symbolism will be the right one.

Edit: I loved when Jon got Ghost back!! And how BRan was so close to him but they didnt see each other :(

I was very proud of Dany, the way they showed her turning away from Westeros for a while to try and get a grip on SB. That was the adult thing to do, and she was right the way she simplified it down to , 'How can I rule the 7K if I can't control SB?'--Good for her :)

Brienne and Pod, aren't they adorable! I wish she had the shield with the painted over Bat though, guess it was not so important.

Since when did Arya have Melisandre on her list? And Beric and Thoros? Is she planning to kill everyone she has ever met?

As always, you are a genius :)

Great catch.

Archived