explaining the Daenerys odium

Starspear

I didn't compare her to True Blood. I compared the different styles to each other.

But if you took it as an insult says a lot.

Style? The Sopranos is one of the best shows ever made, True Blood is shit, it seemed your were making a comment on the quality of her storyline, not the style. Maybe I misunderstood, but that's how I took that comment.

Why is that we lately have so many "this is why I hate Dany" threads? Jeez, people dislike her? Fine. If GRRM wants to end the books making her Queen of the Universe, then, go write letters complaining to him, not us. Why is our fault to like her? I don't like Arya, for instance, even though she's quite a popular character. I rather discuss people I like, and I keep myself from discussing her.

I don't think anyone who spoke against her story in this thread hates her or even dislikes her. The thread was about what happened and people tried to explain.

Why is that we lately have so many "this is why I hate Dany" threads? Jeez, people dislike her? Fine. If GRRM wants to end the books making her Queen of the Universe, then, go write letters complaining to him, not us. Why is our fault to like her? I don't like Arya, for instance, even though she's quite a popular character. I rather discuss people I like, and I keep myself from discussing her.

Because this a forum where people can talk about things about the book. Also, you're not forced to open and read the comments.

I didn't compare her to True Blood. I compared the different styles to each other.

But if you took it as an insult says a lot.

Lol, comparing anything with True Blood is an insult to GRRM craftmanship (or anyone else for that matter). Such a horrible show.

Style? The Sopranos is one of the best shows ever made, True Blood is shit, it seemed your were making a comment on the quality of her storyline, not the style. Maybe I misunderstood, but that's how I took that comment.

Now you just arguing for arguing sake.

Sopranos has close interrelated intrigue with several players that affect each other with several twists. True Blood is slow and a tad predictable, which Dany's arc sins AGoT by all means is.

I am not even saying anything against her, but still you get offended. That's why no one can have an objective discussion in these kind of topics.

Lol, comparing anything with True Blood is an insult to GRRM craftmanship (or anyone else for that matter). Such a horrible show.

I hate that show but that wasn't my point. If I compared his writing to the writing of that show I wouldn't read the books.

Of course we can talk about everything, but it's like every day it's a "omg i so can't stand kelly c!". Ok, people don't like Kelly C. We got it.

Lol I get you. I don't know, it's more fun I guess. To argue and debate to me is just more enjoyable when I want to kill some time than talking about something I like and then being agreed with.

This thread is unbelievable.

First to the OP, this thread is pointless, some people like Dany and some dont so there is no point to make a thread explaining why people hate her why not make a thread why people like her then?

Anyways some of the comments in this thread are discomforting, people are saying she lost her family before she was born so it doesn't count?

What if any of you were born into the world with no family but an abusive brother, I'm sure you will say that counts.

This is so true. I rarely ever if never go into threads of characters I don't like or care too much about. Honestly, Dany haters discuss her more than her own fans.

Exactly I see Dany haters spending time in her threads more than they actually do in characters they like threads.

I hate that show but that wasn't my point. If I compared his writing to the writing of that show I wouldn't read the books.

The fact that you hate that show is the only thing that matters. Rock on!

Of course we can talk about everything, but it's like every day it's a "omg i so can't stand kelly c!". Ok, people don't like Kelly C. We got it.

Just do like I do, skip a few threads like these or leave them hanging for a while, and then you just come in like "Spider-man from fucking nowhere" :p

Lol I get you. I don't know, it's more fun I guess. To argue and debate to me is just more enjoyable when I want to kill some time than talking about something I like and then being agreed with.

I would love to kill my time talking about other things, but if it weren't for the endless array of Dany threads I sometimes feel that this forums would die a little ;)

Exactly I see Dany haters spending time in her threads more than they actually do in characters they like threads.

Were there Dany haters in this thread though? Some people just discussed why they lost interest in her.

I seriously lost interest in getting involved into Dany threads altogether since some of her fans get so defensive and aggressive about even the slightest criticism of her storyline (not even her character). Something I don't experience nearly as often in other topics.

This thread is unbelievable.

First to the OP, this thread is pointless, some people like Dany and some dont so there is no point to make a thread explaining why people hate her why not make a thread why people like her then?

Anyways some of the comments in this thread are discomforting, people are saying she lost her family before she was born so it doesn't count?

What if any of you were born into the world with no family but an abusive brother, I'm sure you will say that counts.

You've missed the point completely. What happened when she was a kid is PRE book. Being told something doesn't give it any emotional weight. In the books, as in, in the things we can actually follow along, besides book one, she's had an easy ride void of consequences.

Were there Dany haters in this thread though? Some people just discussed why they lost interest in her.

I seriously lost interest in getting involved into Dany threads altogether since some of her fans get so defensive and aggressive about even the slightest criticism of her storyline (not even her character). Something I don't experience nearly as often in other topics.

Im not referring to this thread. I dont take part in such threads.

Oh wow another hate thread. You know it doesn't bother me if someone does not like a character, that's fine we all have are own taste. I don't like the Mountain, then again I don't start a why I don't like the Mountain thread twice a week. But I do find some things odd with hate threads. One is the natural troll nature of said threads. Two a person who is desperate to get other people to not like a character they like. Three, I tend to wonder if they even read the book or what natural bias is occuring to cause the dislike. I get most of this, looking for justification for your dislike. But it always leads to the same path. The creation of ideas no matter how false to justify a belief. Take Dany.

There was the I hate Dany for what she did to the slavers argument. We don't see this argument much any more as it by and large got trashed and had no footing to begin with. But people were willing to side with slavers to justify their dislike of Dany. Some older posters may remember this argument.

The Dany is an idiot argument because she has not started a master spy orginization and trained in martial combat to become a skilled warrior argument. Again proved to be a bit of a weak argument, it's not like she isn't busy but fans claiming she is a Mary Sue now also want her to be an expert warrior, spy master and I think we had a blacksmith one as well.. Pretty stupid to begin with.

Dany does not pay her people and is a slaver. Turns out she does in fact pay people and people are free to make their own choices. Another desperate and weak attempt for hatred justification.

Now today I have a poster who knows what Martin is thinking. I don't like her because she is Martins fav and she isn't dead yet thus proving it. Also mix in the repetative argument that she has it easy and nothing bad ever happens to her. Though when you actually list all the bad things that have happened to her the list is rather long and disturbing, in fact it's longer than most characters. So lets not count her past or Thrones or any of the bad stuff at all. "See I am right if you don't count any of the bad stuff then nothing bad happened to her. This proves that Martin does not let bad things happen to her.

I am waiting for the magic 8 ball thread that proves Dany is evil because the magic 8 ball said so.

Dany's chapters are not for everyone, they are complex, multi layered, intricate, they have heavy symbolism, and a lot of metaphors. If you don't get it you don't get it, it's a hard jump from Twilight to ASOIAF. I say Twilight because lately I have been noticing more and more of this I am team (pick a name) on the forum. Which was a big trend with that poorly written joke of a series. My only advice is if you are approaching the series looking for team this or that, or you think the series is about a winner of the throne or Westeros then you are reading the wrong author. I heard Miley Cyrus wrote book you could try that.

You make valid points. But conquerors, as evil as they may be in some instances, are respected because of the guarantee of terrible consequences if they are crossed. Daenerys has gotten away with countless, bombastic threats... without delivering the goods of a good (character-wise) conqueror.

The thing is, mang, is that her story isnt finished yet. She freed a bunch of slaves and took cities. Only to see her efforts wind up turning to shit. I think thats a very interesting element for her story because we are seeing the consequences of her actions. Someone tried to kill her yet again with poisoned locusts. Theres insurrection and rebellion in her city which she still could not quell entirely. (the Harpy may have quieted down, but it wasnt over yet.) Theres the Pale Mare that decimated her people outside the walls of Meereen. Dany made a lot of enemies along the way. She also most likely lost two of her dragons.

Dany hasnt made it to Westeros yet. Now think pretty hard the sorts of consequences she will face there? Theres a Dornish princess who seems to think Dany killed her brother. Theres Hightowers there that are likely to side with Aegon. Theres Others pounding on the Wall. Shits ugly.

I'm not saying that Dany hasn't suffered. I'm saying that she certainly hasn't suffered the most in the series.

"Dany suffered the realization that shes a shit ruler. Its why she finally says it: Dragons plant no trees. Unfortunately, this isnt going to stop her from reclaiming the Iron Throne. Why? Because shes realized that she is a conqueror and its her way or the highway"

This would probably make her more ruthless no?

Im hoping that she becomes more ruthless by shucking the denial and just going "yep, lets do this. Fuck moral qualms." Cuz her flip-floppery just gets on my nerves.

I don't think there's any real mystery to the "odium". Many people, including this guy, find the endless pointless adventures of Dany in Essos to be, well pointless at the least, and boring. When you add in the self-aggrandizing self-titling, the Daario mooning, the constant time-wasting appearance of parts of her story, the general crappiness of Mereen, her total seeming lack of concern over ruling Mereen, more Daario mooning, and all the harzoo, hizzoo, quiznos nonsense, you have a recipe for "odium".

I enjoyed Dany from the first couple books and portions of the third, and I will again if she gets the hell away from Essos and Mereen and embraces the dragon and roasts Daario and his stupid golden tooth and naked women sword hilts in Dragonfire, but her chapters have become the biggest slog in the series imo. And yes, that includes Aeron the boring hair and Areo the axe pedophile.

(Hey you! Long time no see!)

I agree with this. I like the Harpy storyline a lot but it is time for her to begin moving forward. Daario just doesnt bother me as much as he does most. I mean, the guy is a sleazeball, but his presence isnt what irks me about Dany's story arc here. Dany's disconnect from Ghiscari culture is also a little painful. That one may be on me though, cuz i interpret Dany's flippancy toward their culture as kinda...racist.

*points*

You. I knew you were alright. *brofist*

As for the whole plot armor thing, ehhh whatever. Dany aint gonna die until she gets to Westeros.

Archived