Small questions v.10079

Angalin

Hello everyone. my question is to do with the Doom that came to Valyria. How is it that more dragons did not survive? Sure, many of the Dragons would have been in Valyria, but with the size of the Valyrian freehold, surely some would have been more spread out to the north, east and west. It cannot of only been the Targyrens who were keeping their Dragons outside Valyria.

Also, an earthquake is not gonna kill a Dragon because a Dragon can fly. Dragons are fire made flesh so lava will not kill them either. I can accept that giant tidal waves may catch a dragon and kill it, but the waves had to originate somewhere and head out in a particular direction, meaning not all of the Valyrian landmass was hit by a giant tidal wave anyway.

Hello everyone. my question is to do with the Doom that came to Valyria. How is it that more dragons did not survive? Sure, many of the Dragons would have been in Valyria, but with the size of the Valyrian freehold, surely some would have been more spread out to the north, east and west. It cannot of only been the Targyrens who were keeping their Dragons outside Valyria.

Also, an earthquake is not gonna kill a Dragon because a Dragon can fly. Dragons are fire made flesh so lava will not kill them either. I can accept that giant tidal waves may catch a dragon and kill it, but the waves had to originate somewhere and head out in a particular direction, meaning not all of the Valyrian landmass was hit by a giant tidal wave anyway.

Dany's eggs came from Asshai, apparently. And there's also a reference in one of Bran's dreams/visions that dragons are stirring down there.

In ACok, one of Dany's bloodriders found the skull of a dragon in the red waste.

For all we know, dragons are partying hard at Ulthos, Sothoryos and Asshai beyond the Shadow.

ETA: Welcome to the forums!

Because GRRM said they all died. Other than that we haven't been told exactly.

Really randon question but is there any house with an eagle as sigil?

Mallister, Graves and Condon, may be more but those were the first to pop out in the search.

If you like that sort of thing try the Heraldry page. :)

Super volcano + magic/fate/plot = no more dragons...

Would Sansa's being 'intact', as she never consummated her marriage to Tyrion, be grounds for her marriage being annulled?

It could be, but the appropriate authorities would have to agree to it. I'm not sure who the appropriate authorities to appeal to would be. If it's the High Sparrow, and he can do it on his own authority, he might be willing, but Sansa would probably have to come back to King's Landing to make an appeal and that would not be a good idea for her. If she requires the permission of the King to annul the marriage, that probably won't happen -- Cersei would want to keep her tied to the Lannisters. (Well, Cersei would prefer to have her dead, obviously, but if that's not possible she definitely shouldn't be set free to make another marriage.)

On the other hand, Littlefinger seems confident that if Sansa marries Harry the Heir, it will be a legal marriage, so I would guess this is what he has up his sleeve to make that work out.

The explosion probably also threw a ton of ash and poisonous sulfur-based gases into the air. Any dragons on the wing over the Fourteen Fires were probably suffocated and poisoned. As for dragons elsewhere in Essos, any that didn't have humans sheltering and protecting them may have gotten mobbed and killed just out of fear. Remember that the Essosi don't have fond memories of the dragons and the Dragonlords; they'd probably have jumped at the chance to get rid of any stragglers that were not sufficiently protected by the might of dead Valyria.

I believe it was in the last thread that someone was asking about some beautiful maps and illustrations made by a boarder (whose name I can't remember, of course), which can be found here.

A question was asked about why, in the first illustration, The Stranger looked like an animal of some kind, possibly a lizard. I was listening to aCoK, and in the Davos chapter that describes the burning of the Seven statuary, the following comment is made:

They were all afire now, Maid and Mother, Warrior and Smith, the Crone with her pearl eyes and the Father with his gilded beard, even the Stranger, carved to look more animal than human.

Septon Barre had once told Davos how they'd been carved from the masts of the ships that had carried the first Targaryens from Valyria.

I assume the artist based his/her depiction of the Stranger from that passage. Since the carvings were made long ago, before the conquest of Westeros, perhaps the Stranger was made to look animal like because the Targaryens brought death with their dragons.

I believe it was in the last thread that someone was asking about some beautiful maps and illustrations made by a boarder (whose name I can't remember, of course), which can be found here.

A question was asked about why, in the first illustration, The Stranger looked like an animal of some kind, possibly a lizard. I was listening to aCoK, and in the Davos chapter that describes the burning of the Seven statuary, the following comment is made:

I assume the artist based his/her depiction of the Stranger from that passage. Since the carvings were made long ago, before the conquest of Westeros, perhaps the Stranger was made to look animal like because the Targaryens brought death with their dragons.

I think I was the one who asked, and thanks for the info. :)

Let's say the Blackfish goes to the Red Wedding with niece and nephew. Do the Freys kill all Tullys there??

So the question here is, if the Blackfish had gone to the Twins, would the Frey's have killed him? Probably not, especially not after killing Catelyn. They would still want a hostage, to keep Edmure more cooperative.

Though, if the Blackfish had resisted, he would have been killed.

What would these kind of arrows mean on a wiki page <--- .. --->?

So as an example, from the editing page of Visenya Targaryen, what does this mean:

<!-- Before the war of conquest -->

?

For as far as I can see, it doesn't add anything to the wiki. And I can't find what it means in the help files.

Maybe as a descriptor for the abbreviation BC? I'm not sure though.

Could anyone remind me please which of the Bloody Mummers go where? I seem to remember Faithful Urswyk(?) going South somewhere but dont recall where.

Timeon tells Brienne that Urswyk rode south for Oldtown. The appendix of AFfC says that Zollo, Togg Joth, Three Toes and Urswyk are "scattered and running" so their exact whereabouts are unknown.

Timeon tells Brienne that Urswyk rode south for Oldtown. The appendix of AFfC says that Zollo, Togg Joth, Three Toes and Urswyk are "scattered and running" so their exact whereabouts are unknown.

That was what I was looking for, thanks!

What would these kind of arrows mean on a wiki page <--- .. --->?

So as an example, from the editing page of Visenya Targaryen, what does this mean:

<!-- Before the war of conquest -->

?

For as far as I can see, it doesn't add anything to the wiki. And I can't find what it means in the help files.

Anything within <!-- sample text --> is not displayed within the actual article by the wiki software. It can be used to prevent a questionable paragraph from displaying (but without outright deleting it from the saved version) or if you want to add notes for editors (not readers).

Archived