What's the Point of "Ser" Instead of "Sir"

MadKingDavid

Pease pudding is a popular meal.

I came in to say that. Ham and pease pudding sandwiches are essential picnic and party foods. This is known.

RumHam; I think its actually in the SSM archive too, I'm sure I didn't read it on Goodreads.

(although I could just be remembering another kind Boarder posting.for.me)

@MadKingDavid I'm fortunate in having the dvd, mostly because I fell in love with the movie. It's one of those ones I've had my children watch as they hit a certain age, one of the 'family' classics like Princess Bride, A Christmas Story, and yes, Monty Python and The Holy Grail, along with the tv series. So, while my memory cells should be similarly challenged, I'm fortunate in having the movie anyway. That was the first thing I did hear in my mind "LOOK, it's Kkkkkkken, cccccccoming to kkkkkkkkkill me" as soon as I read your OP.

Great thread by the way, a nice, fun distraction, but with purpose and information, too. I did wonder about the 'pease' thing, and am not surprised to see others mention that it, and the spelling, do figure into real foods, too. I think I'm going to pass on the ham and pease porridge pie, though.

I'm a serious reference book geek, I'd love to have a peek at that dictionary of yours.

It's called the ENGLISH language for a reason. Aluminium, colour, and please for God's sake spell stuff with an 's' rather than a 'z'.

I'm actually much more confused on the UK pronunciation of aluminum. The way it is said makes it sound like a totally different element than the stuff my foil wrap is made from.

I'm actually much more confused on the UK pronunciation of aluminum. The way it is said makes it sound like a totally different element than the stuff my foil wrap is made from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology

Their pronunciation makes sense with their spelling of the word. I did a MatSci undergrad and had both English and American professors so I've gotten used to both pronunciations.

Another GRRMism is "mislike" and not "dislike." Is that used in any county?

Is the American pronunciation: A-loo-min-um? (sorry, i'm terrible at getting across how I think things sound :( ) What do you mean it sounds like a totally different element how its pronounced in the UK? :dunno:

Is the American pronunciation: A-loo-min-um? (sorry, i'm terrible at getting across how I think things sound :( ) What do you mean it sounds like a totally different element how its pronounced in the UK? :dunno:

American: Ah-Loo-Mi-Num (emphasis on the bolded syllable)

British: Ah-lu-min-ee-um

At least from what I can tell. It sounds pretty different because of where the emphasis falls...like it could almost be another element (looking at you, palladium and platinum).

US spelling: aluminum

UK (mis)spelling: aluminium

The American pronunciation sounds exactly like what you typed out. The British version sounds like they are trying to combine aluminum and condominium into one nonsensical word.

That actually was, strangely enough, a good read. :) Thanks!

Just to clarify that's not an SSM, I just think it's probably the best answer.

What's an SSM?

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold.....

It's a real word.

Yes, thank you. I looked it up, and apparently in Middle English "pease" was a mass noun, like oatmeal, that didn't take either a singular or plural, which in Modern English evolved (or devolved) into a separate singular and plural, and the general disuse of the original mass noun, except in names like "pease porridge" and "pease pudding."

I know it's old-fashioned, but I still believe in pease on Earth. :D

The medieval English were much less bothered about correct spelling than we are. So long as the word sounded right, there could be plenty of variants.

Yes, English spelling, at least in America, was standardized in the 19th century. Noah Webster turned all those -ise endings into -ize endings. If you read many of my students, however, you might change your mind about whether people today care any more than people did back then. :ack:

@MadKingDavid I'm fortunate in having the dvd, mostly because I fell in love with the movie. It's one of those ones I've had my children watch as they hit a certain age, one of the 'family' classics like Princess Bride, A Christmas Story, and yes, Monty Python and The Holy Grail, along with the tv series. So, while my memory cells should be similarly challenged, I'm fortunate in having the movie anyway. That was the first thing I did hear in my mind "LOOK, it's Kkkkkkken, cccccccoming to kkkkkkkkkill me" as soon as I read your OP.

Great thread by the way, a nice, fun distraction, but with purpose and information, too. I did wonder about the 'pease' thing, and am not surprised to see others mention that it, and the spelling, do figure into real foods, too. I think I'm going to pass on the ham and pease porridge pie, though.

I'm a serious reference book geek, I'd love to have a peek at that dictionary of yours.

Fortunately I do have the DVD of Holy Grail. I actually use the chartered accountant sketch from the series as the humor video I give my students in Week 9 after I've done grading all their homework for the week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOmB1q8W4Y I use that one partly because I ran out of good literal videos to use, and partly because at that university, I teach accounting. :devil:

Yeah, I love this huge dictionary. I mean it's not the OED, but it's about as big a dictionary as I can afford. I guess I could let you borrow it if I can borrow your copy of A Fish Called Wanda. I need to check and see if HBOGo has it.

"Ser" actually means "cheese" in my mother tongue, so imagine the fun I'm having reading about all the "sers" :D

:lmao:

Bravely bold Cheese Robin, went forth from Camelot

He was not afraid to die, oh brave Cheese Robin.... :lol:

Broadly speaking, Americans spell and pronounce English words the way that English people did in the 1600s. So, honor, color, etc. are the older forms.

Good old Noah Webster dropped the unnecessary "u" too, which is how we got both the spy plane and the band. :lmao:

American: Ah-Loo-Min-Um (emphasis on the bolded syllable)

British: Ah-lu-min-ee-um

At least from what I can tell. It sounds pretty different because of where the emphasis falls...like it could almost be another element (looking at you, palladium and platinum).

I'm not sure if it's about regional accents or not, but I think the way I say it is more

Ah-LOO-mi-num

Thanks everyone for the answers, I'm running out of time to do too much individual response. ;) :D

A girl must......................get to her real life. :o Soon, anyway. :lmao:

US spelling: aluminum

UK (mis)spelling: aluminium

The American pronunciation sounds exactly like what you typed out. The British version sounds like they are trying to combine aluminum and condominium into one nonsensical word.

I'm British actually. Please, no need to try to be so insulting about British v American spelling

Archived