A Character you don't understand why the fandom/forum likes and hates?

TheBadboy

Like - Sansa - I like her more now than I did pre feast. I just think she has made some stupid decisions during the series. She put herself before her family a few times. I like her POVs as the content is great but dont like reading it through the eyes of a vain little girl. As I said i do like her more now and accept she is changing.

Like - Cat - Her treatment of Jon was poor and uncalled for. Letting go Jaime cost her son his life in the end. She claims to be a great mother but she left Bran and Rickon alone and didnt really want to go back to them and instead chose to stay with her dying father, her little boys really did need her at that age.

Hate - Quentyn - Just a decent guy trying to do his best. His attempt to steal a dragon was stupid, but it was nice that he was willing to risk his life than return home a failure.

Hate - Jon - Sure hes boring but his heart is in the right place. My fav char in the series.

Like: Tywin. I understand he was pragmatic and a brilliant strategist and a good Hand, but he is a horrible, horrible person to Tyrion. I think he takes the "Ends justify means" approach a bit too far.

Like: Arya. I want to make it clear that I love Arya as a character, but people seem to like where her plot is going. Not a lot of people on this forum think there is something seriously wrong with an 11 year old training to be a faceless man.

Hate: Sansa. I think a lot of people have posted this already, so the reasons are obvious.

Hate: Dany. I can write an essay about this so I won't bother writing more than this sentence.

Frankly I don't get it why people really *hate* or *love* fictional characters so much and make them larger as life.

Sure, GoT and ASoIaF are great, but they are works of fiction.

I also have a kind of favorites, but I do not love Tyrion nor Sansa nor whoever I like to read about. I like reading about the whole bunch of 'em. Even characters who seem to play minor roles.

Nevertheless, they're characters, beautifully written, but nevertheless characters.

I wholeheartedly avoid those "Why do you hate/blame X for that? Why do you love X for this?" threads. Because they end up in flames and people get at each others throats. That makes me rather sad. Because we all share a common hobby and past time. I found real friends on these boards.

It's all a matter of taste. "De gustibus non disputandum est".

Frankly I don't get it why people really *hate* or *love* fictional characters so much and make them larger as life.

Sure, GoT and ASoIaF are great, but they are works of fiction.

I also have a kind of favorites, but I do not love Tyrion nor Sansa nor whoever I like to read about. I like reading about the whole bunch of 'em. Even characters who seem to play minor roles.

Nevertheless, they're characters, beautifully written, but nevertheless characters.

I wholeheartedly avoid those "Why do you hate/blame X for that? Why do you love X for this?" threads. Because they end up in flames and people get at each others throats. That makes me rather sad. Because we all share a common hobby and past time. I found real friends on these boards.

It's all a matter of taste. "De gustibus non disputandum est".

Party-pooper.

Never going to understand the hate against Catelyn, Sansa or most of other female characters, to be honest. As much as I can't understand anyone loving Robert Baratheon, considering Elia and the Children.

I can't understand most of the hate directed at characters, in general. How can one direct hate in such profound ways to fictional characters?

Like: Daenerys. Ok, it's more show!Daenerys than book!Daenerys, but I never really got the unconditionate love from some.

Hate: Cersei. Ok, she's not the nicest person, I agree on that. But there are worse characters than her, and I do not understand why lots of people cannot wait for her to die. I have a list of people who I want to see dead first, and I do enjoy reading her POVs. In one way or another, the story needs someone like her.

<shrugs> If my opinion makes me a party-pooper, so what?

I knew that I'd get some kind of response anyway.

I have my patients to care for. They need me, because they no longer can care for themselves.

The person behind this user nick is a male nurse who wants to study medicine and go into research.

I don't understand the love for Stannis, nothing against the guy in particular. I just don't get the extreme love he inspires.

Exactly this. I came even to really like him in the last book. Found this forum here and the amount of love he gets and was immediately repulsed^^ Though I'm still neutral towards him. I don't hate the guy. He's too funny for that.

I don't get any hate regarding Jaime if the same person seems to love Tyrion. They are so much alike with the difference that we are supposed to love Tyrion the minute he appears. Reason why I love Jaime a ton more^^

I generally don't understand why people have such extreme views regarding a certain character, which usually further translates into bashing other characters that stand in the way of the favourite (Stannis/Danny). There are plenty characters I like but they do bore me sometimes or they get on my nerves or I can't stand some of their quirks. I just like them despite their flaws and mistakes. I don't feel to need to wave their banner in everybody's face and persuade everyone that XY is perfect and has never done anything wrong. I am disappointed with character arcs such as Danny's but that doesn't make me think that she is evil or want her to rot in seven hells for the eternity.

Like: Stannis: I understand why people like him (I do too), I just don't get the blind and ever-present fanatic devotion

Hate: Cat, Tyrion, Sansa, Robb

I have my patients to care for. They need me, because they no longer can care for themselves.

The person behind this user nick is a male nurse who wants to study medicine and go into research.

What?

I don't see how what you just said has any bearing on this thread at all. Good for you, you're an amazing person who deserves a pat on the back for your upstanding work.

Again, what relevance does this have?

Btw, you clearly didn't detect the joking manner in which I said party-pooper. I don't get how anyone could think I was seriously annoyed. For someone named Lord Tyrion you don't have a sense of humour like he does :P

I really do not get all the love for Sansa or the sporadic, random love I see for the Boltons (The Greyjoys I get, kinda)

I really do not get the all hate/criticism that Ned, Robb, and the Unsullied get.

I really really really do not get the like/openmindedness I see for the White Walkers, the "they might not be evil, just misunderstood" crap. Fine they have their own culture and honor system, they still slaughter humans and turn them into zombies and want to cover all of the Westeros in a second Long Night/winter. As a human, that makes them the enemy and evil.

What?

I don't see how what you just said has any bearing on this thread at all. Good for you, you're an amazing person who deserves a pat on the back for your upstanding work.

Again, what relevance does this have?

Btw, you clearly didn't detect the joking manner in which I said party-pooper. I don't get how anyone could think I was seriously annoyed. For someone named Lord Tyrion you don't have a sense of humour like he does :P

I'm a regular of forums - I was even moderator (I liked those times, but I was never a friend to my friends then. Because I was truly neutral.). But I may have missed your sense of humor - I guess I did that because it lacked an emote or smiley.

One doesn't really "see" the other person vis-à-vis. And that what makes it sometimes rather difficult to see the real meaning.

I for one try to avoid emotes/smileys. Because I stick to my opinion and don't act the turn cloak.

It's got nothing to do with my user nick.

No offense taken. :cheers: <- now that we've sorted things out.

I'm a regular of forums - I was even moderator (I liked those times, but I was never a friend to my friends then. Because I was truly neutral.). But I may have missed your sense of humor - I guess I did that because it lacked an emote or smiley.

One doesn't really "see" the other person vis-à-vis. And that what makes it sometimes rather difficult to see the real meaning.

I for one try to avoid emotes/smileys. Because I stick to my opinion and don't act the turn cloak.

It's got nothing to do with my user nick.

No offense taken. :cheers: <- now that we've sorted things out.

Lol you didn't answer my question, and I don't recall saying anything that could be interpreted as offensive.

Nevermind though, I'm not really sure what's going on right now in this conversation.

Archived