A Character you don't understand why the fandom/forum likes and hates?

TheBadboy

Has anyone been talking about "liking" characters in the sense you were initially positing?

What am I to make of this? You don't root for Varys? If so, then I apologize for picking on you. Somehow I got the impression that you liked the design of his schemes to the point of wanting him to succeed.

I've always found Littlefinger amazing, a far better player than Varys, but he is morally white? No, god. I can understand why people dislike evil characters, but I don't. The same goes for Varys. Of course he's not half as good as others think he is, but that doesn't mean I have to dislike him.

I'm not sure if LF is a "better" player than Varys. They definitely have different styles and strategy design. I think LF's approach is more innovative in some ways-- I think the way he thinks of the game and what he's after is arguably more innovative (I think Roose's is similar), but there's something so damn virtuosic about Varys. I'm also a fan of Varys' "architectural" approach-- from chaos to order, as opposed to LF's more entropic style and end.

To be honest, LF would probably rise exponentially on my preferences spectrum if he weren't such a pissant on a personal level. I just cannot get on board with his persona. The whole combination just doesn't work for me.

What am I to make of this? You don't root for Varys? If so, then I apologize for picking on you. Somehow I got the impression that you liked the design of his schemes to the point of wanting him to succeed.

I might be confused. I thought everyone was answering in terms of liking them as characters, whereas your previous comment was about liking them as people. Are you talking about not understanding how anyone could like certain characters as people, or is this about liking them as characters? I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be pleased by having a few choice "villains" left paddling on at the end. It doesn't mean I'd be bosom buddies with them irl.

Like: Stannis. I was shocked when I started reading these forums. It never crossed my mind that Stannis would have so many fans. He makes blunder after blunder & isn't very nice. Idk I just don't get the worshipping.

Hate: Tyrion. He is one of my favorites. He isn't always good but he is always funny! That has to count for something? He is very intelligent & I think for the most part he tries to do what's right.

Like: Stannis. I was shocked when I started reading these forums. It never crossed my mind that Stannis would have so many fans. He makes blunder after blunder & isn't very nice. Idk I just don't get the worshipping.

Hate: Tyrion. He is one of my favorites. He isn't always good but he is always funny! That has to count for something? He is very intelligent & I think for the most part he tries to do what's right.

You must have recently been an Unsullied :)

Huh, someone hates the gruesomely exploited slaves? Or is it just the concept of the Unsullied that people think a bit far-fetched or over the top?

The latter for myself. It just seems too fantasy-ish to have fanatically loyal supersoldiers result from a training that should by all rights leave them PTSD-laden wrecks. I know this is fantasy, but most other societies and armed forces work on a basic level (Martin doesn't have knights start training at 20 and be instant experts, for example). Slaver's Bay in general, and the Unsullied in particular, simply... don't work. For me anyway.

As for the topic; Like- the Boltons. Honestly, it seesm to me that Roose's only merits are 1) being less of a rampaging psychopath than his son 2) sending people to die in his stead (Glover), 3) stabbing a man who was already dead anyway. Apart from that, he fails to lead an army, plots fairly harmlessly against Robb before the RW, and enters a deal with the Lannisters that Tywin has very obviously no intentions of keeping whatsoever, and now his rule over the North is already starting to crumble even before Stannis shows up. I guess I just don't understand how fans paint him as some hyper-intelligent mastermind when he mostly seems to go with the flow. While raping a few women in passing.

Hate- Catelyn, always. She made mistakes, of course, everyone makes some. But her mistakes are escalated to ridiculous levels. If you listen to her detractors, Jon's entire life was ruined forever by one comment, the War of the Five Kings would never have happened if she hadn't villainously started it for the sheer lulz of it, and she's also single-handedly responsible for Robb losing the war and dying. In fact, for a person that sees her entire family turn to dust in less than a year, she demonstrates incredible composure and often gives sound advice that is ignored (Theon, anyone?).

Actually, everyone complains that he is really cheesy and arrogant, and his alleged prowess in combat is clearly shown false by his failed attempt to kill Mycella. People aren't saying he sucks cause he didn't succeed in killing her, they're saying he sucks because he is very smug and he overrates himself for no reason.

Which is all more important than attempt of murder of a child? :)

I don't get the popularity of Sansa. She's basically furniture. On the rare occasion that she does actually act, she usually does something stupid.

As a guy that really identifies with sansa(I know what it is to be defanged and placed in a gilded cage) this post hurts. I'm the male version of Sansa and I take umbrage with this.

She's not just "furniture" and she's gonna kick some ass next book

Does Unsullied mean I haven't read the books? I read them long before I watched the show & read them again here recently. I am only fairly new to the forums.

I think he doesn't believe you have read the books because your previous post has little(if any) basis in the text

I might be confused. I thought everyone was answering in terms of liking them as characters, whereas your previous comment was about liking them as people. Are you talking about not understanding how anyone could like certain characters as people, or is this about liking them as characters? I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be pleased by having a few choice "villains" left paddling on at the end. It doesn't mean I'd be bosom buddies with them irl.

Yes, I was talking about liking them as people. I don't think I'm the only one who did it. Either way, I get you point.

Lmao "blunder after blunder" bullshit if ever I saw it.

This is what I mean. People take it as a personal insult if someone doesn't worship Stannis the way they do. I enjoy Stannis' character in the books. I think the show could do a little better at portraying him but I enjoy him there also. I just don't understand people defending to the death every move he makes. He has made plenty of mistakes.

I think he doesn't believe you have read the books because your previous post has little(if any) basis in the text

What did I say that doesn't have any basis in the text? That Stannis blunders? He does. That he isn't very nice? He isn't sometimes.

Archived