Exercise and Fitness - Citius, Altius, Fortius!

baxus

Morning/afternoon/evening to all

I've got a question, how much is too much water to drink, I usually consume ..... I don't know....... Somewhere between 42-50 oz a day (and usually sweat it out in a vigorous workout (which to be honest I haven't been finding time for like I used to) back to the question, I know people say you can drown your kidneys and other organs from over hydrating but I don't really know know how much that is....

Thanks in advance.

ETA: I don't drink anything besides water except on very rare occasions

It depends on your constitution and your needs.

Drink as much water as feels good.

You will notice you're drinking too much by frequent trips to the toilet way before you "drown your kidneys", whatever that meant ;)

Ini,

In the last thread you asked about protein powder. I prefer Optimum Gold Standard, Truetein, and Biotest protein powder. Generally, I am cheap and will buy whatever is on sale and hope I can gag it down. Those three brands have good tasting, quality protein powders, though.

Also, I would recommend Quest bars. Cliff builder bars are great tasting but full of soy and only a little better than candy bars. Quest bars are better, however, they are more expensive and harder to find.

For water, they say usually half your body weight. I try to take down about 128 oz a day (more than half).

Running took a hit last night. Timed my pace again, and have picked up a couple of seconds. I can tell I took some time off after Indy.

Really getting into Yoga. Any of the guys out there have recommendations on the right kind of mat to use for my sweaty ass? I sweat... a lot. I'm slipping all over the place with my current 20 dollar mat.

After slacking with the intervals and heavy weights (I have lame excuses!) the end of last week and Monday, back to Kettlebell workout today (had karate tuesday and tonight)

the rotating, jumping squats totally kick my ass. everything else is fine and I could certainly use a heavier weight.

A few options.

One might be an Ashtanga style mat, which is almost like a small rug. I have this one, $42: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LGGXVS/ref=ya_aw_od_pi

I mostly use this one, which is expensive but I figured I'd rather buy a good one once than continually buy slightly better ones. I bought this because my cheapo mat, not I, moved too much for my liking. And also because I wanted something very long. People suggest various treatments to make it grippier, like sea salt. Manduka Pro, $80: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008AH7NBE/ref=ya_aw_od_pi

I don't buy Lululemon stuff because I don't like the owner, but their "The Mat" is well liked, it's around $68.

Jade makes one that's well liked. Harmony is the product name I think? Around $70.

An alternative is to use a towel on top of your existing mat. You can use a bath towel or whatever but supposedly the yoga one are thinner and don't bunch up on you. I've never used one. Yogitoes is one brand.

As always, yoga is full of dumbshit yuppies who will buy whatever snake oil comes along (says the guy who bought an $80 yoga mat). Use your best judgment to avoid feeling you got ripped off.

I've got a question, how much is too much water to drink, I usually consume ..... I don't know....... Somewhere between 42-50 oz a day (and usually sweat it out in a vigorous workout (which to be honest I haven't been finding time for like I used to) back to the question, I know people say you can drown your kidneys and other organs from over hydrating but I don't really know know how much that is....

Rule of thumb, if you're thirsty, drink some water.

Really need to find a way to keep exercising regularly. I can do well for a week, but then drop off, and stop for another week. So I'm not really improving, (whilst I'm not getting much worse either.)

Ini,

In the last thread you asked about protein powder. I prefer Optimum Gold Standard, Truetein, and Biotest protein powder. Generally, I am cheap and will buy whatever is on sale and hope I can gag it down. Those three brands have good tasting, quality protein powders, though.

Also, I would recommend Quest bars. Cliff builder bars are great tasting but full of soy and only a little better than candy bars. Quest bars are better, however, they are more expensive and harder to find.

I make my own bars with dates, raw cashews, raw almond butter, cranberries/goji berries, raw coconut, and raw cacao powder. Much less expensive than store bought bars.

For water, they say usually half your body weight. I try to take down about 128 oz a day (more than half).

Running took a hit last night. Timed my pace again, and have picked up a couple of seconds. I can tell I took some time off after Indy.

Really getting into Yoga. Any of the guys out there have recommendations on the right kind of mat to use for my sweaty ass? I sweat... a lot. I'm slipping all over the place with my current 20 dollar mat.

I like my eQua towel for hot yoga classes. :) http://www.manduka.com/us/shop/categories/products/towels/equa-mat-towel/

Edit: typo

Nice Luke!

I am really enjoying this pull-up program. I already feel like I'm improving, halfway through week 2. I know I need my rest days but it is tempting to do them on other days.

I've been implementing a home yoga practice based on Iyengar's Light On Yoga after talking to my instructor. No big problems on most of the stuff in the opening weeks of the program, but Iyengar teaches Parsvottanasana with the hands joined at the palms behind the back, which is pretty hard to do, at least in the morning when I wake up. Spoke to my teacher (after clarifying that I hadn't injured myself doing some insane asana) and she suggested some modifications.

Bigggg deadlift PR for me yesterday, creeping closer to 800lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBUdZHtzrFM

that's awesome man, congrats!!

worked out with Stego a couple days ago. Still feeling it. Told him then - makes so much difference having someone to work out, be there, point out mistakes, etc. it's definitely one thing to feel like you are doing it right and then to actually do it right.

Morning/afternoon/evening to all

Thanks in advance.

ETA: I don't drink anything besides water except on very rare occasions

I go by this. :)

ETA: Ah, beaten by kungtotte. :)

Archived