Exercise and Fitness - Citius, Altius, Fortius!

baxus

I went to the salsa class/party yesterday for some variety's sake...really fun, but astonishingly hard, at least for me. One slip of concentration and i'm stepping on someone else's feet or hitting them on the nose. Very therapeutic, actually. Two hours of mental silence.

I have also been doing dance classes. I did a bunch of swing, culminating in an actual dance on Friday. Starting this week I'm going to take a more advanced swing class and a cha-cha class.

Swing is a major thing in Jerusalem at the moment, for some reason - there's several clubs and classes and swing flash-mobs and what have you. The salsa people are planning on doing a West Coast Swing class as well, but the salsa is challenging enough for me atm.

I went back to rowing yesterday and have scheduled a yoga class for tomorrow, after rowing.

That schedule was not my idea, but have agreed to try it out with some of my coworkers.

It's been a good couple of days lately ;)

As always, I'd suggest swimming.

You can get a hell of a workout, it's very relaxing and injury risks are very low.

You don't need much equipment - swimming trunks, goggles, maybe a kickboard and paddles and you're all set.

Although that does sound interesting, there are a couple problems. First, that requires water, which is not something I have access to. Secondly, I don't trust swimming since the one professional swimmer I know was the antithesis of athletic xD

Hour yoga class and two hours of climbing last night. Planning on swing and cha-cha classes tonight.

At one point I was down to 148 pounds (I'm 5'8"). This was achieved through the entirely healthy and carefully researched dietary plan of barely eating for a week because of a breakup. Since them I went up to around 160 for a variety of reasons -- dining out too much instead of cooking, eating crap, eating other crap because I didn't give myself enough real food, eating dessert as a one-time thing but then eating other desserts on subsequent days because they're different desserts and therefore clearly still one-time things.

I've been back to eating right again and I'm around 155 as of this morning. My Aria also says I'm down to 17.something% body fat, although I don't believe it because it said I was at 20.something% last week and I sincerely doubt I've lost 3% body fat in a week. Impedance-based body fat measurements are notoriously inaccurate in any case.

My goal, which I picked without any rigor to speak of, is to stabilize around 150. If I instead stabilize around 155 I'm ok with it. Pretty happy with how I look right now, although I would still like to lose a little belly fat. (Yes, I know you cannot spot reduce fat.)

Hello!

I'm a rower (women's masters, competitive program). So up early every morning doing that (damn, no yawning emoticon!)

Have an erg test this weekend (ugh), and then my first race of the season next weekend.

But, even with that, I need to build up some more strength. I'm thinking of doing little resistance workouts throughout the day.

I work from home, but am tied to the computer. But thinking I can pop-off now and then and do some pushups, squats, planks, etc. throughout the day.

Do you think that would work? Or do I still need to try to do a full-on dedicated workout? Time is an issue, have to be at my desk right after practice, and don't have a gym near here ...

Also, as of yesterday, started intermittant fasting. Doing 8/16, starting at 7am, since I'm always starving after morning practice! And that way I stop eating well before bedtime. Hopefully I can stick to it!

Need to be in bikini shape by August :cool4:

Looks like my wonderful program of lifting and eating big might be coming to an end. At 6' I'm a ghastly 205lbs, so I guess it's time to head the other way.

Oh and I saw some of that protein powder discussion upthread, and I'd just like to add that having a great tasting shake really helps give some positive reinforcement after a workout. Combat Powder was usually my go-to, but recently I switched to Syntha-6. While it has a bit more calories, it tastes exactly like a milkshake. It's by far the best tasting protein powder I've ever had.

Hello!

I'm a rower (women's masters, competitive program). So up early every morning doing that (damn, no yawning emoticon!)

Have an erg test this weekend (ugh), and then my first race of the season next weekend.

But, even with that, I need to build up some more strength. I'm thinking of doing little resistance workouts throughout the day.

I work from home, but am tied to the computer. But thinking I can pop-off now and then and do some pushups, squats, planks, etc. throughout the day.

Do you think that would work? Or do I still need to try to do a full-on dedicated workout? Time is an issue, have to be at my desk right after practice, and don't have a gym near here ...

Also, as of yesterday, started intermittant fasting. Doing 8/16, starting at 7am, since I'm always starving after morning practice! And that way I stop eating well before bedtime. Hopefully I can stick to it!

Need to be in bikini shape by August :cool4:

Welcome aboard.

I'd suggest talking to your coach about diet and additional workouts.

It is easy to overtrain which can lead to injuries.

Bear in mind you need to rest between workouts too ;)

What's your rowing/sculling event?

You are talking as if 205lbs at 6' is grossly overweight?

I still feel slender at 200lbs....not really trying to get much heavier

Guys, keep in mind that not every 200lbs is the same ;)

Also, not everyone's "ideal" weight is the same.

For example, I'm 5'11" and I consider 165-ish lbs to be my ideal weight.

That's when I feel best. My stomach fat is almost all gone at that point, I feel lighter on my runs and yet I feel strong enough, I don't tire that easily etc.

I'm 250lbs at 5'9 right now. My perception is scewed lol.

Your perception definitely is scewed ;)

You are talking as if 205lbs at 6' is grossly overweight?

Haha no, it's all relative. Less than a year ago I was about 160lbs, so 205 is a big difference for me. Honestly I'm fine at this weight, it's just that I planned to bulk and then cut down from the outset. So it's more about finishing off that plan.

Checking in, its been a few weeks...

5weeks into a 6week Crossfit Intro course. In the first week I was feeling slugglish as well as sore - had taken the previous two weeks off doing fu#k all, exercise wise, so this was kinda expected. Took a couple weeks for the stamina to build up and now recovery is happening much faster. I like the pace at which we're introduced to new skills, nothing is rushed. Had a couple physios assess us on the very first day and I was provided a swath of calisthenics to bring my weak mobility areas up to speed. Second day we had a nutirionist give us the spiel on diet and things paleo. Good array of ages & people in the course too, damn some of the kids in the group are fast, love the comradierie particularly when we do team workouts. Kettlebells are cool, trying to master double unders is testing, and still striving to perform wall balls while keeping heels on the ground - but this is all in good time. Oh and I've learnt no matter what adjective you place infront of a burpee, its still a f%ckin burpee!

Just one problem. Classes are 7pm Tuesday & Thursday and then 8:30am Saturday. Outside of holidays & social evenings with friends I'm usually done with the day's last meal by 7pm. This works well by making me mighty famished next morning, and so I easily load the majority of my calories in the first half of the day. But the late Tuesday/Thursday sessions have caused me to have a pre-workout and then post-workout meal. Pre-work is no problem as I arrange that whilst at work. The post workwork meal is what's led me to some grief. Too tired to go home & cook I've more of often than not ended up finding cheap solace at some old haunts - so nutrition has wavered some, and there's more calories there than I need. The next morning I wake up not so hungry and its a bad start to the day already. Fortunately, with the workout intensity, it appears the excess calories have contributed to building some muscle mass - but without any leaning out of course <sigh>. Need to arrest this soon! I can't wait til the intro course is done so I can choose to attend an earlier evening session or even an early morning one, which should help me plan my eating better and away from tempting float meals where anything goes. Basically I need to cook more at home :)

You can generally expect to eat more for fuel when working out big time, which is one reason among others that exercise on its own isn't a solution for weight loss. The trick is to make what you're eating good stuff.

I find it helpful to cook a lot when I have time, so that I always have leftovers around. Hell, I made a pot of rice yesterday at the same time I scrambled my eggs in the morning, because I needed it for lunches along with my curry.

Archived