[NO SPOILERS] "Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode

shiola

I really liked that Hodor's sense of violation and repulsion was shown and that Bran completely ignored it. Bran also had no hesitation about killing a person - isn't this his first murder? Definitely self defense, but murdering somebody would have really shaken the Bran from a few years ago. And Arya telling Sandor that she still wanted to kill him when he's sticking his neck out protecting her over and over. If Sandor was acting selfishly, he'd have turned Arya over to the Lannisters and gone to join the mercenaries rather than trying to get Arya to the Vale. The way they're showing Bran and Arya get darker really works for me, and its also good to see Sansa come into her own.

I also liked Cersei forcing herself to play nice with Margery, Tywin, and Oberyn. I wondered why Margery brought up the sister bond, since she knows that sets Cersei off, but it makes sense that she knew Cersei's almost friendliness was forced and Margery decided to lob a barb at Cersei.

The second was a very deep scene for me. For multiple reasons.

Sandor points out how unskilled Arya truly is. THe Braavosi way of fighting may all be well, but a war is different from say a duel. Also you have to be pragmatic (the armour).

Then him slapping her is a wake-up call, the world is harsh and does not give a fuck if she is a girl or of nobility, harsher men then Sandor exist and they will kill her (matter of fact almost every other soldier in Westeros would have killed her after she tried to poke Sandor).

Well, Syrio could have beaten the Hound. Arya was just starting. So it's more a statement of her vulnerabilities, not the fighting style per se.

We may see that armor can be a hindrance.

I really liked that Hodor's sense of violation and repulsion was shown and that Bran completely ignored it. Bran also had no hesitation about killing a person - isn't this his first murder? Definitely self defense, but murdering somebody would have really shaken the Bran from a few years ago.

Yeah, this was a great scene and it showed for the first time that warging a person is something bad.

(I actually made a thread about it, but somehow no mod wants to give his ok for it...)

I loved that, just once in the show, even if it never happens again...we got a moment to cheer for, something that we all wanted and was a small victory for the good guys. No, I wouldn't want to see it all of the time, but I think it breaks up the bleakness and keeps the show fun.

Jon making Karl shut up in the most effective way possible.

That whole scene reminded me of a quote from "Men at Arms" by Terry Pratchett:

“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

I'm gonna kickstart this bad boy off by saying THOMAS BRODIE-SANGSTER'S ACTING.

I was just crazy for him this week. When he was telling Karl how he saw him die, his voice got so low and dark. His eyes were lethal and he was just so pissed off.

And on the complete flipside, he has also been showing that he is getting weaker and sicker without it being spelled out for us.

AND, finally, the far-away sort of quality to his voice and expression when he's greenseeing (is that a real term?). The Sight is some heavy shit for a young man to deal with, and I think he shows the weight of it very, very plainly and honestly.

On that same train of thought, him seeing his hand burning and answering, "You'll know" was cool and ominous and creepy as fuck. The dark tone to Bran & Co's storyline is one of my favorite things of the show at the moment.

:agree:

For some strange reason, Craster's woman saying that they'd been beaten by Craster, beaten by the Black Brothers and they'd be fine in finding their own way. Then she spits on the ground and tells them to burn the keep and the dead. Just .... wow. That was such a moving scene, for me. I loved it.

Agreed. That scene was really powerful and I appreciate the fact that there was no arguing about it. Craster's Wives made their choice, assured Jon that that's what they really wanted. End of discussion. No "but what if..." or "but you'd be safer". It also meant that Jon has finally come to terms with the idea that, yes, his "Brothers" are a rag-tag bunch of misfits that consists in great part of thieves, rapists and murderers. No more illusions. Jon has come a long way from season 1.

The Stark love-

• Brandon Stark being mentioned
  • Bran shouting for Jon to come and save him showing the love and respect he has for him- he thought Jon could save him! That would have been my ideal reunion as well.... :frown5:
  • The parallels between Bran and Jon having to put their duty before their family/love with Bran deciding not to seek out Jon.
  • Arya adding Walder Frey to her kill list! She wants revenge against those who wronged her mother and brother...and he represents House Frey!

"Come here boy" :wub:

Craster's wives/daughters saying f*ck off to everything with a dick.

Jojen being a badass rather than a passive background character!

Littlefinger and Sansa with their comedic annoyance at Lysa- The "Oh shit" look from LF at his rapidly approaching wedding and Sansa with her 'urgh...really?' expression while hearing her aunt scream.

My favorite moments:

1. Jon/Bran almost reunion. I got a little teary eyed.

2. Jon/Ghost reunion

3. When Jojen tells Karl his fate and then the NW comes. Very good timing.

4.When Arya says the last name on her list 'THE HOUND'. That was an epic moment.

5. Lysa/Sansa/LF scenes. I love crazy Lysa

Best bits for me.

• Arya water dancing and Syrio being mentioned. Maisie's handling of Needle is awesome.
  • Sweet Robin's return. I was surprised they kept the original actor. I think he nails the part.
  • Sansa's reaction to the idea that she's to marry Robin once Tyrion is executed. Poor girl just doesn't have any luck in the marriage department.
  • Craster's wife stabbing Karl (and essentially saving Jon) and then the lot of them going on their own way. No way would I trust any men at that point.

Archived