Jaime vs Ned - who was better?

hollowcrown

sorry i never discussed honor. i was comparing their skills as warriors. Jaime stated to his brother that Ser Arhtur could beat them hold ing his sword in one hand and pissing with the other.

And as good as Arthur was, he was just saying that to intimidate them. Arthur would have huge difficulty fighting Loras and Balon at the same time.

1) Yes it is. You made the claim.

2) Did he?

3) Jaime is a legendary warrior and considered among the greatest warriors of all time.

4) He's still likely to be cut through like Robb's honor guard.

you made the counter claim also. so you can offer the rebuttal.

it was stated in this post or another

since when? there is no text to support that. i didn't know Jaime was of the likes of the Dragon knight Barristan the bold etc.....

you made the counter claim also. so you can offer the rebuttal.

it was stated in this post or another

since when? there is no text to support that. i didn't know Jaime was of the likes of the Dragon knight Barristan the bold etc.....

1) You can't back it up, huh?

2) Link?

3) He was weak from imprisonment, and chained at the wrists. No knight in the Seven Kingdoms could have stood against him at his full strength, with no chains to hamper him. Jaime had done many wicked things, but the man could fight! His maiming had been monstrously cruel. It was one thing to slay a lion, another to hack his paw off and leave him broken and bewildered.

GRRM did state that Jaime would defeat Aragorn. His reasoning was that Jaime was one of the best warriors in the history of Westeros. I am not going to comment the Aragorn stuff, but if the author says that Jaime was on of the best swordsmen ever born, then it is like that.

So in book 1 we see Jaime Lannister and Ned fight one on one. We know Ned is at least a competent fighter, seeing as he survived the Tower of Joy, perhaps defeated Arthur Dayne, the best in Westeros, somehow, there. Jaime is considered to be very good too.

As far as I remember, they're pretty evenly matched until a Lannister guardsman stabs Ned in the leg...so we don't really know how the fight would end.

So was Jaime really much better than Ned, or was Ned underrated as a fighter ("I don't fight in tournaments") and could hold his own and maybe defeat Jaime? Would Ned with Ice beat Jaime?

You confuse the book with TV, in the book, Jaime and Ned never have a fight, and Ned's leg was crushed by his horse collaspe on him. Though personal opnion, Jamie is a better fighter, but Ned is a better commander.

The OP made an understandable mistake, but it's absurd that this argument is ongoing. Jaime is very clearly better than Ned, by a significant degree. This has been backed up by both authorial statements and textual evidence, so anyone disputing the point just needs to step back and look at the facts.

This is still being debated? Look I like Ned as a character more than Jaime, but in a fight it's not even close. Or at least it's not even close with their book versions. Whether or not he's better than Daemon Blackfyre, Arthur Dayne, or Barristan is another matter. Still, you can at least use him in the same sentence without being way off.

You confuse the book with TV, in the book, Jaime and Ned never have a fight, and Ned's leg was crushed by his horse collaspe on him. Though personal opnion, Jamie is a better fighter, but Ned is a better commander.

I think Jaime is an underrated commander, as it happens. He totally destroyed the Tully armies in the opening phase of the war and basically had the Riverlands wrapped up before Robb's surprise move - which nobody including Tywin foresaw. Later he returns to the scene and clears everything up without any real trouble. His one mistake was getting captured at the Whispering Wood, although even then it seems he was a bit unlucky and stood a fair chance of either winning the war in one stroke (by killing Robb) or fighting his way clear and back to the camps.

He has a very aggressive style, which makes him look reckless compared to Tywin and co, but it's not too far removed from Robb or Robert, who were each quite highly-regarded as commanders.

As far as Ned goes we have very little to go on, of course. The middle phase of Robert's Rebellion is only really documented from a Baratheon point of view, so we don't know what the Starks (or Targs) were really up to and to what extent Ned actually commanded. The "battles" we know he was involved in he was either a sub-commander (Gulltown, Trident) or effectively a reinforcement (King's Landing, Storm's End) who arrived after the battle was already over to clear up.

Jaime would have beaten Ned in the books and the show. One thing that was nice and subtle about the scene was how relaxed Jaime was during the fight compared to Ned who was fighting with all his worth. He looked strained and pressed... well, he always had that look but you get me.

Archived